Rehabilitated Archos 6000

  • ikerooney
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 9, 2006
      Folks,

      Thanks for all you have posted here. My Archos charger would drain the
      batteries when it was plugged in. I looked at the operation with my
      oscilloscope and thought it was operating correctly. Installed a Texas
      Instruments version of the IC from Digi-Key (fast overall
      delivery/order) and while in there, installed a couple of 220mf 10v
      tantalums (From Anchor Electronics here in Santa Clara) inplace of the
      earphone coupling caps and bridged the 47 ohm resistors with 27 ohm SMD
      resistors I scavanged off a dead keyboard.

      Except for annoying level problems between MP3's, it is loud, charges
      the batteries and I'm delighted. I can post pictures of my handiwork
      (?) if there is interest.

      Thanks!

      Joe
    • Jim C
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 10, 2006
        Please post them

        ikerooney wrote:

        > Folks,
        >
        > Thanks for all you have posted here. My Archos charger would drain the
        > batteries when it was plugged in. I looked at the operation with my
        > oscilloscope and thought it was operating correctly. Installed a Texas
        > Instruments version of the IC from Digi-Key (fast overall
        > delivery/order) and while in there, installed a couple of 220mf 10v
        > tantalums (From Anchor Electronics here in Santa Clara) inplace of the
        > earphone coupling caps and bridged the 47 ohm resistors with 27 ohm SMD
        > resistors I scavanged off a dead keyboard.
        >
        > Except for annoying level problems between MP3's, it is loud, charges
        > the batteries and I'm delighted. I can post pictures of my handiwork
        > (?) if there is interest.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Joe

      • ikerooney
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 10, 2006
          --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, Jim C <liteways@...> wrote:

          > Please post them

          Hi Jim,

          I uploaded the one picture that seems to show the resistors and wire.
          I cleaned the mess in the picture up a little. I epoxied the caps to
          the sides of the USB connector. The twisted wires were scavanged from
          an old Tek logic probe. I found some earphones that sport an external
          volume control so I can adjust one the fly rather than through the
          menus.

          Joe
        • Jim C
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 10, 2006
            Which caps did you add? I can't tell from the picture. Being able to
            adjust the voulme without going to a menu is a good thing.

            ikerooney wrote:

            > --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:archosjukebox6000%40yahoogroups.com>, Jim C <liteways@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Please post them
            >
            > Hi Jim,
            >
            > I uploaded the one picture that seems to show the resistors and wire.
            > I cleaned the mess in the picture up a little. I epoxied the caps to
            > the sides of the USB connector. The twisted wires were scavanged from
            > an old Tek logic probe. I found some earphones that sport an external
            > volume control so I can adjust one the fly rather than through the
            > menus.
            >
            > Joe

          • ikerooney
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 10, 2006
              --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, Jim C <liteways@...> wrote:

              > Which caps did you add? I can't tell from the picture. Being able to
              > adjust the voulme without going to a menu is a good thing.

              snip

              Jim,

              I added single 220microfarad 10v caps, perhaps going higher would add
              more volume. I think I saw 330microfarad caps at either Halted or
              Anchor. If I have an opportunity to do another, I'll go bigger. Maybe
              I'll also try to quantify the improved peak values, volts or dbs

              Maybe we could make a pot full of money making an earphone extension
              cable with a built in mechanical volume control.

              One other thing I did measure was the amount of current the charger
              demands at 9v. It was approximately 430ma. As I lowered the supplied
              voltage, the current demand dropped way off (<80ma) at about 5v and I'm
              sure the batteries were no longer being charged but the Archos6000
              display still said it was being charged.

              Joe
            • Joseph McLaughlin
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 10, 2006
                Radio shack makes one already ---
                http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102975&cp=&pg=1&y=10&origkw=volume&x=15&kw=volume&s=A-StorePrice-RSK&parentPage=search

                Cheers

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 11, 2006
                  I have used that one.

                  Joseph McLaughlin wrote:

                  > Radio shack makes one already ---
                  > http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102975&cp=&pg=1&y=10&origkw=volume&x=15&kw=volume&s=A-StorePrice-RSK&parentPage=search
                  > <http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102975&cp=&pg=1&y=10&origkw=volume&x=15&kw=volume&s=A-StorePrice-RSK&parentPage=search>
                  >

                  > Cheers
                  >
                  > ikerooney <ikerooney@... <mailto:ikerooney%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                  > --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:archosjukebox6000%40yahoogroups.com>, Jim C <liteways@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Which caps did you add? I can't tell from the picture. Being able to
                  > > adjust the voulme without going to a menu is a good thing.
                  >
                  > snip
                  >
                  > Jim,
                  >
                  > I added single 220microfarad 10v caps, perhaps going higher would add
                  > more volume. I think I saw 330microfarad caps at either Halted or
                  > Anchor. If I have an opportunity to do another, I'll go bigger. Maybe
                  > I'll also try to quantify the improved peak values, volts or dbs
                  >
                  > Maybe we could make a pot full of money making an earphone extension
                  > cable with a built in mechanical volume control.
                  >
                  > One other thing I did measure was the amount of current the charger
                  > demands at 9v. It was approximately 430ma. As I lowered the supplied
                  > voltage, the current demand dropped way off (<80ma) at about 5v and I'm
                  > sure the batteries were no longer being charged but the Archos6000
                  > display still said it was being charged.
                  >
                  > Joe

                • James Stewart
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 12, 2006
                    --- Jim C <liteways@...> wrote:

                    > I added single 220microfarad 10v caps, perhaps
                    > going higher would add more volume.

                    No, you will NOT get more volume with larger caps.
                    What you might get is a little deeper bass response,
                    but only if you are using low impedance (20 ohms or
                    less) earbuds. Most head-band headphones tend to be
                    higher impedance than this, so you won't notice a
                    difference.

                    To get more volume you can completely bypass those
                    resistors (compared to only bringing the total
                    resistance down to 8-10 ohms or so), but this would
                    only give at most a 3-db difference, and then only
                    when using low impedance earbuds. On the downside, if
                    you ever shorted the output signals for any reason,
                    according to the specs on the DAC chip in the Archos,
                    you will blow it up. The DAC chip is an ugly multipin
                    SMD, that even if you could find someone that would
                    sell you single-quantitys of them, I'd hate to try to
                    replace it.

                    If you managed to shoe-horn 220mfd caps into your
                    Archos and installed the extra resistors, rest assured
                    that you probably brought it up to at least 95% of all
                    it can be. The last 5% is probably not worth the
                    trouble or risk.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Hans-Werner Neumann
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 13, 2006
                      > One other thing I did measure was the amount of current the charger
                      > demands at 9v. It was approximately 430ma. As I lowered the supplied
                      > voltage, the current demand dropped way off (<80ma) at about 5v and I'm
                      > sure the batteries were no longer being charged but the Archos6000
                      > display still said it was being charged.

                      430 mA is much stuff for the batteries, normally the current should not
                      exceed about 250 to 300 mA, I think. I did test charging the AJB with
                      several stabilized voltages, too, and at 9 V the current value never was
                      above about 260 mA.

                      On the display during charging: I more and more have the impression that
                      this is just a kind of show running there (BATTERY CHARGE, than CHARGING...,
                      at the end sometimes CHARGED). I had several AJBs on my table not charging
                      at all (verified by measuring) because of different defects, but they all
                      nevertheless displayed the same show ;o))

                      Of course just until the batteries were totally empty. Even a show needs
                      current!

                      Regards
                      Hans-Werner
                    • ikerooney
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 13, 2006
                        --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "Hans-Werner Neumann"
                        <hawe0815@...> wrote:

                        snip

                        > Of course just until the batteries were totally empty. Even a show
                        needs
                        > current!
                        >
                        > Regards
                        > Hans-Werner

                        Hi Hans-Werner Neumann,

                        You are so right, I was using my somewhat uncalibrated current meter
                        to measure the current put out by my Tek PS503A. In my TM503, it can
                        only put out about 400ma and I specifically remember turning the
                        foldback off max before it enabled. I must be less than 430ma. I'll
                        go measure it again with my Fluke.

                        I've won an ebay auction for another AJB6000 and a AJB20 in need of
                        repair. My plan is to first, take better pictures and second,
                        measure before and after voltages, and thirdly, investigate the
                        possibility of installing a steering diode to prevent damaging the
                        charging IC.

                        Thanks,

                        Joe
                      • Hans-Werner Neumann
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 14, 2006
                          Hi Joe,

                          My plan is to first, take better pictures and second,
                          > measure before and after voltages, and thirdly, investigate the
                          > possibility of installing a steering diode to prevent damaging the
                          > charging IC.

                          This would be a good thing to find out :-) I'm also thinking about how to
                          better safeguarding the power supply circuit of AJBs. Even to find out how
                          to really run a box *only* from power supply would be a good task.

                          But this is unfortunately not the only reason damaging the charging chip (+
                          and - exchanged). In many cases people destroy it by using normal alkaline
                          batteries. It can't stand the too high voltage on the long run and burns
                          down. (And *than* in many cases AJBs display still the "charging show",
                          although in reality doing nothing... ;o))

                          Power supply is one of the worst designed things of AJB, ARCHOS should have
                          developed it better, and that would really be possible.

                          Nevertheless the many good features of AJBs (with ROCKBOX) are still
                          convincing to me and many others. Here in Germany the market on used
                          "classic" AJBs is still growing, and I could already repair and sell many of
                          them.

                          Regards
                          Hans-Werner