AJB6000 Power

  • Scott Toland
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2006
      I have an AJB6000 and while it will power up when attached to AC, and
      even stay operational when then removed from AC. Boot from battery is
      another matter, however. It simplky refuses to boot from battery. I
      have replaced the batteries with to new sets of NiMH batteries and
      have replaced the hard drive with a new unit. When I insert the
      betteries, the backlight and the LED on the right (above the screen)
      light up for about a second, then back to nothing. I did just resolder
      that small unshielded jumper wire on the top left that always seems to
      tail, to no effect.

      One thing of interest is that there is a thick red wire that creeps
      under the control disc/pad. upon removal of that bezel and the screen,
      I notice that it goes to the right one of two small ICS, which look
      almost melted. The red wire has a solder blob on that IC end so large
      it actually shorts the pins one and two of that IC. is this normal? if
      not, I can try to remove that blob and see if it works.

      Oh, the internal charger does not appear to work, either. I have been
      using an external NiMH charger

      Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

      Scott
    • James Stewart
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2006
        --- Scott Toland <lordgoatman@...> wrote:

        > I have an AJB6000 and while it will power up when
        > attached to AC, and even stay operational when then
        > removed from AC. Boot from battery is another
        matter,
        > however. It simplky refuses to boot from battery. I
        > have replaced the batteries with to new sets of NiMH
        > batteries and have replaced the hard drive with a
        new unit.
        > When I insert the betteries, the backlight and the
        LED on the
        > right (above the screen) light up for about a
        second, then
        > back to nothing. I did just resolder that small
        unshielded
        > jumper wire on the top left that always seems to
        > tail, to no effect.

        How long does it play on batteries once you get it
        going? The normal long time? For only a couple of
        minutes? For only a couple of hours? If your JB runs
        fine on batteries in every other way but just doesn't
        start on them, this is very odd. About the only thing
        I can think of is the batteries can't put out quite
        enough current to power the JB until warmed up some by
        use. This could be caused by marginal batteries (even
        new ones) or excessive power drain powering up the
        hard drive. Did the problem start when you changed
        the drive? What make and model did you put in?
        Perhaps one that take a lot to start it up?

        > One thing of interest is that there is a thick red
        > wire that creeps under the control disc/pad. upon
        removal of that
        > bezel and the screen, I notice that it goes to the
        right one of two
        > small ICS, which look almost melted. The red wire
        has a solder blob
        > on that IC end so large it actually shorts the pins
        one and two of
        > that IC. is this normal? if not, I can try to remove
        that blob and
        > see if it works.

        My guess is that this is not the problem assuming the
        JB worked once. It is probably just a case of sloppy
        assembly work, but works anyway.

        > Oh, the internal charger does not appear to work,
        > either. I have been using an external NiMH charger

        Since it runs from AC (through the charger), I'll
        assume nothing is wrong with the charging circuitry.
        It is starting to sound like a marginally conducting
        connection near the batteries causing too much voltage
        drop for playing and charging. I would double check
        those connections on the those end PC boards (with the
        battery springs). If you can measure some voltages
        across the batteries, and at the point where the lines
        enter the main circuit boards. Check voltages during
        charge and during battery-only operation when the hard
        drive starts. My JB quits playing when the battery
        voltage drops to about 4.2 volts when trying to start
        the hard drive. Make sure yours doesn't.

        I seem to remember some odd behavior on mine once that
        was a little similar to this where it tried to start
        up on batteries, but wouldn't. I re-soldered some
        connections on the PC board around that area where the
        strange wire goes through the spring (if yours does
        this too) and the problem went away. It was almost
        like the wire and the spring were hooked to separate
        traces that needed to be bridged together.

        On batteries, there is a theory that slightly lower
        total capacity models (such as 1800-2000 mAh) might be
        better for the JB than higher (2300 mAh or higher)
        ones because to get the capacity, they reduce the
        plate area which reduces the peak current capacity,
        which causes more voltage drop when doing something
        like starting the hard drive.

        > Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

        Sorry, no magic cures but maybe some things to look at
        and test out.

        Just $16.99/mo. or less.
        dsl.yahoo.com