Re: Archos & Musicmatch

  • Al Schmidt
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 7, 2005
      Thanks I'll look for Jukebox sync... I did get this to work just once
      when installing. Then no joy. It copied the files for a playlist I
      would select into a directory on the Archos. Pretty slick. Except that
      it doesn't work now....

      I'm just doing MP3 no DRM issues, but a lot of play lists for Musicmatch..

      Al S

      --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, Rick Downs <redjr16@y...> wrote:
      > Al,
      >
      > According to MusicMatch, they do not support the Archos line of mp3
      players/recorders - yet. Awhile back, I went through the same
      process with the Archos Gmini400. I contacted MM and they informed me
      that Archos(at least my 400) was not supported.

      > You didn't mention exactly what you want to do, but if you simply
      want to transfer files(tracks) and playlists, use Jukebox
      Synchronizer. [Google it] It works well. If you're tyring to get
      DRM, or other copy-protected files on your Archos(model?) then it's
      not going to happen. I've become so disallusioned with all the DRM
      restrictions, that I don't download any music - any more - from any of
      the pay-per-download sites, unless something is out of print.
      MusicMatch used to be my primary source too. Sadly, or fortunately -
      depending upon how you see it - I've gone back to buying CDs. Which
      should make the records execs happy! But even with newer CDs, many
      labels are employing anti-copy and ripping measures. However, it's
      not universal yet, and with the numerous ripping tools available on
      the Internet, you can usually find an app that will copy a stubborned
      copy-protected CD.

      > As I understand it, Archos is working to adopt the new Microsoft
      'Play4Sure' technology, but I believe it will only be implemented in
      newer hardware devices. I don't know if it will be a firmware upgrade
      for your specific device.

      > Good luck,
      > redjr...
      >
      > Al Schmidt <alschmidt012000@y...> wrote:
      >
      > I can not get my Archos to work with Musicmatch. It does not show up
      > as a portable drive. I would like to load some of the play lists I
      > have in Musicmatch. I have the Musicmatch plugin What Else can I try?
      >
      > Winxp Muscimatch Jukebox plus 10.0 Latest Archos from website...
      >
      > Al
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Al Schmidt
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 7, 2005
        Any tricks or did it just work right off?

        Al

        --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "bigdog9586"
        <dmathews9587@c...> wrote:

        > MM works with my Archos Recorder 20 and has for years.
      • wideasleep1
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 7, 2005
          Per MM support:
          My Archos Jukebox will not communicate with Musicmatch Jukebox

          The Archos plug-in for Musicmatch Jukebox has two requirements in
          order to communicate with the Archos Jukebox 6000:

          1. The proper drivers for the Archos Jukebox device must be
          installed and loaded correctly.
          2. The volume identifier for the Archos Jukebox drive must be set
          to "Jukebox".

          The volume identifier is the name of the drive as it appears in
          the "My Computer" window. You can change this by right clicking on
          the drive and selecting "Rename" from the menu.

          Please verify that these requirements have been met.

          HTH, G'Luck!

          --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "Al Schmidt"
          <alschmidt012000@y...> wrote:

          > Any tricks or did it just work right off?
          >
          > Al
          >

          > --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "bigdog9586"
          > <dmathews9587@c...> wrote:
          > >

          > > MM works with my Archos Recorder 20 and has for years.
        • Chris Holt
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 7, 2005
            The OP would probably appreciate a quick rundown of the steps you use to
            transfer playlists and tracks to your AJBR 20, don't you think?

            Chris

            bigdog9586 wrote:

            > MM works with my Archos Recorder 20 and has for years.
            > =================
            > --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, Rick Downs <redjr16@y...>
          • bigdog9586
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 8, 2005
              on mm 10 which I put on my new computer with XP I just plugged in the
              recorder started MM clicked on portible device and it asked me if I
              wanted to install a plugin for my device. I said yes, it took me to
              the page and I clicked on the plugin for my device, it downloaded, I
              restarted MM and it worked. I didn't install any Archos software or
              drivers. I have found no troule on either of my computers running
              XP. I am running a stock Archos except for the current released
              version of Rockbox.
              ===========================
              <alschmidt012000@y...> wrote:

              > Any tricks or did it just work right off?
              >
              > Al
              >

              > --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "bigdog9586"
              > <dmathews9587@c...> wrote:
              > >

              > > MM works with my Archos Recorder 20 and has for years.
            • Rick Downs
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 8, 2005
                bigdog9586,

                How do you define 'works'? Does it transfer copy-protected tracks? DRM file protected tracks?

                redjr...

                wrote:
                > Al,
                >
                > According to MusicMatch, they do not support the Archos line of mp3
                players/recorders - yet. Awhile back, I went through the same
                process with the Archos Gmini400. I contacted MM and they informed
                me that Archos(at least my 400) was not supported.

                > You didn't mention exactly what you want to do, but if you simply
                want to transfer files(tracks) and playlists, use Jukebox
                Synchronizer. [Google it] It works well. If you're tyring to get
                DRM, or other copy-protected files on your Archos(model?) then it's
                not going to happen. I've become so disallusioned with all the DRM
                restrictions, that I don't download any music - any more - from any
                of the pay-per-download sites, unless something is out of print.
                MusicMatch used to be my primary source too. Sadly, or fortunately -
                depending upon how you see it - I've gone back to buying CDs. Which
                should make the records execs happy! But even with newer CDs, many
                labels are employing anti-copy and ripping measures. However, it's
                not universal yet, and with the numerous ripping tools available on
                the Internet, you can usually find an app that will copy a stubborned
                copy-protected CD.

                > As I understand it, Archos is working to adopt the new
                Microsoft 'Play4Sure' technology, but I believe it will only be
                implemented in newer hardware devices. I don't know if it will be a
                firmware upgrade for your specific device.

                > Good luck,
                > redjr...
                >
                > Al Schmidt <alschmidt012000@y...> wrote:
                >
                > I can not get my Archos to work with Musicmatch. It does not show up
                > as a portable drive. I would like to load some of the play lists I
                > have in Musicmatch. I have the Musicmatch plugin What Else can I
                try?

                > Winxp Muscimatch Jukebox plus 10.0 Latest Archos from website...
                >
                > Al
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                Service.

                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 8, 2005
                  Al,

                  You should have no problem just copying tracks and playlist. What version of MM are you using? 9, 10?

                  redjr...

                  Al Schmidt <alschmidt012000@...> wrote:

                  Thanks I'll look for Jukebox sync... I did get this to work just once
                  when installing. Then no joy. It copied the files for a playlist I
                  would select into a directory on the Archos. Pretty slick. Except that
                  it doesn't work now....

                  I'm just doing MP3 no DRM issues, but a lot of play lists for Musicmatch..

                  Al S

                  --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, Rick Downs <redjr16@y...> wrote:
                  > Al,
                  >
                  > According to MusicMatch, they do not support the Archos line of mp3
                  players/recorders - yet. Awhile back, I went through the same
                  process with the Archos Gmini400. I contacted MM and they informed me
                  that Archos(at least my 400) was not supported.

                  > You didn't mention exactly what you want to do, but if you simply
                  want to transfer files(tracks) and playlists, use Jukebox
                  Synchronizer. [Google it] It works well. If you're tyring to get
                  DRM, or other copy-protected files on your Archos(model?) then it's
                  not going to happen. I've become so disallusioned with all the DRM
                  restrictions, that I don't download any music - any more - from any of
                  the pay-per-download sites, unless something is out of print.
                  MusicMatch used to be my primary source too. Sadly, or fortunately -
                  depending upon how you see it - I've gone back to buying CDs. Which
                  should make the records execs happy! But even with newer CDs, many
                  labels are employing anti-copy and ripping measures. However, it's
                  not universal yet, and with the numerous ripping tools available on
                  the Internet, you can usually find an app that will copy a stubborned
                  copy-protected CD.

                  > As I understand it, Archos is working to adopt the new Microsoft
                  'Play4Sure' technology, but I believe it will only be implemented in
                  newer hardware devices. I don't know if it will be a firmware upgrade
                  for your specific device.

                  > Good luck,
                  > redjr...
                  >
                  > Al Schmidt <alschmidt012000@y...> wrote:
                  >
                  > I can not get my Archos to work with Musicmatch. It does not show up
                  > as a portable drive. I would like to load some of the play lists I
                  > have in Musicmatch. I have the Musicmatch plugin What Else can I try?
                  >
                  > Winxp Muscimatch Jukebox plus 10.0 Latest Archos from website...
                  >
                  > Al
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                • Laurie
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 8, 2005
                    Thanks so much, wideasleep!!! I didn't know that there were drivers for
                    Jukeboxes at MM. I snagged the driver for the 6000, and it works perfectly
                    with my RecorderV2. I had dozens of playlists in MM, but hadn't gotten
                    around to putting them on the Recorder until now

                    Laurie

                    > The Archos plug-in for Musicmatch Jukebox has two
                    > requirements in order to communicate with the Archos Jukebox 6000:
                    >
                    > 1. The proper drivers for the Archos Jukebox device must be
                    > installed and loaded correctly.
                    > 2. The volume identifier for the Archos Jukebox drive must be
                    > set to "Jukebox".

                  • wideasleep1
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 8, 2005
                      Confession time: I didn't know MM had specific 'drivers' either!
                      [blush]. I was thinking the issue was related to the jukebox name!
                      Glad yer up and going! G'Luck!

                      --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "Laurie" <madmblue@y...>
                      wrote:
                      > Thanks so much, wideasleep!!! I didn't know that there were
                      drivers for
                      > Jukeboxes at MM. I snagged the driver for the 6000, and it works
                      perfectly
                      > with my RecorderV2. I had dozens of playlists in MM, but hadn't
                      gotten
                      > around to putting them on the Recorder until now
                      >
                      > Laurie
                      >
                      > > The Archos plug-in for Musicmatch Jukebox has two
                      > > requirements in order to communicate with the Archos Jukebox
                      6000:

                      > > 1. The proper drivers for the Archos Jukebox device must be
                      > > installed and loaded correctly.
                      > > 2. The volume identifier for the Archos Jukebox drive must be
                      > > set to "Jukebox".

                    • bigdog9586
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 8, 2005
                        all my songs are from the old Napster days so couldn't tell ya
                        ======================

                        wrote:
                        > bigdog9586,
                        >
                        > How do you define 'works'? Does it transfer copy-protected
                        tracks? DRM file protected tracks?

                        > redjr...
                        >
                        > bigdog9586 <dmathews9587@c...> wrote:
                        >

                        > MM works with my Archos Recorder 20 and has for years.
                        > =================
                        > --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, Rick Downs <redjr16@y...>
                        > wrote:
                        > > Al,
                        > >
                        > > According to MusicMatch, they do not support the Archos line of
                        mp3
                        > players/recorders - yet. Awhile back, I went through the same
                        > process with the Archos Gmini400. I contacted MM and they informed
                        > me that Archos(at least my 400) was not supported.
                        > >
                        > > You didn't mention exactly what you want to do, but if you simply
                        > want to transfer files(tracks) and playlists, use Jukebox
                        > Synchronizer. [Google it] It works well. If you're tyring to get
                        > DRM, or other copy-protected files on your Archos(model?) then it's
                        > not going to happen. I've become so disallusioned with all the DRM
                        > restrictions, that I don't download any music - any more - from any
                        > of the pay-per-download sites, unless something is out of print.
                        > MusicMatch used to be my primary source too. Sadly, or
                        fortunately -
                        > depending upon how you see it - I've gone back to buying CDs.
                        Which
                        > should make the records execs happy! But even with newer CDs, many
                        > labels are employing anti-copy and ripping measures. However, it's
                        > not universal yet, and with the numerous ripping tools available on
                        > the Internet, you can usually find an app that will copy a
                        stubborned
                        > copy-protected CD.
                        > >
                        > > As I understand it, Archos is working to adopt the new
                        > Microsoft 'Play4Sure' technology, but I believe it will only be
                        > implemented in newer hardware devices. I don't know if it will be
                        > firmware upgrade for your specific device.
                        > >
                        > > Good luck,
                        > > redjr...
                        > >
                        > > Al Schmidt <alschmidt012000@y...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I can not get my Archos to work with Musicmatch. It does not show
                        up
                        > > as a portable drive. I would like to load some of the play lists I
                        > > have in Musicmatch. I have the Musicmatch plugin What Else can I
                        > try?
                        > >
                        > > Winxp Muscimatch Jukebox plus 10.0 Latest Archos from website...
                        > >
                        > > Al
                        > >

                        > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                        > Service.

                        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                        Service.

                      • L.Berube
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 8, 2005
                          why do i never hear anyone using www.winmx.com ? just not popular or what?

                          > all my songs are from the old Napster days so couldn't tell ya
                          > ======================

                        • Jose M. Sanchez
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 8, 2005
                            AFAIK the "drivers" are not required, or maybe I should say not specific to
                            the Archos.

                            The download will work with any hard disk based device including but not
                            limited to external USB drives.

                            If I name my USB external drive "Jukebox", MM will treat it like an AJB.

                            -JMS

                            _____

                            Confession time: I didn't know MM had specific 'drivers' either!
                            [blush]. I was thinking the issue was related to the jukebox name!
                            Glad yer up and going! G'Luck!

                            > > The Archos plug-in for Musicmatch Jukebox has two
                            > > requirements in order to communicate with the Archos Jukebox
                            6000:

                            > > 1. The proper drivers for the Archos Jukebox device must be
                            > > installed and loaded correctly.
                            > > 2. The volume identifier for the Archos Jukebox drive must be
                            > > set to "Jukebox".

                          • wideasleep1
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 8, 2005
                              Interesting bit of info, Jose..thanks! (not that I'd ever have a
                              lapse of judgement and actually use MM!). :D

                              --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "Jose M. Sanchez"
                              <opjose@c...> wrote:
                              > AFAIK the "drivers" are not required, or maybe I should say not
                              specific to
                              > the Archos.
                              >
                              > The download will work with any hard disk based device including
                              but not
                              > limited to external USB drives.
                              >
                              > If I name my USB external drive "Jukebox", MM will treat it like
                              an AJB.

                              > -JMS
                              >

                              > _____

                            • wideasleep1
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 8, 2005
                                Not that I follow such things intentionally(nor condone theft in any
                                form)...but winmx was specifically mentioned in one of those
                                infamous rounds of lawsuits as being one of the networks they
                                were 'watching', and harvesting IP's from. I'd imagine folks soon
                                began to migrate to lesser-known(read less popular)methods like
                                bittorrent et al. as they moved to shut those seed-sites down
                                thereafter.

                                --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "L.Berube" <lberube@t...>