Anyone Home!

  • moparelwood
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 3 9:18 AM
      Knock! Knock! Anyone Home! Where did everyone go? The activity of this
      group sure dropped off lately? Now that I have stated the obvious here
      is a question.

      I am thinking of upgrading from a studio 20 to a recorder, more
      correctly I should say adding to my collection. I have been looking on
      ebay but haven't had much luck with bidding. I must cheap. What's a
      fair price for a recorder and what versions would you recommend? I
      want to stick with Rockbox compatible unit. Anyone got one for sale?

      Thanks for your help.

      Stephen
    • Ed C.
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 3 11:45 AM
        Get the Recorder Version 1, $150 or less is a good price.

        I agree. The group activity has certainly dropped in the last year
        or so. It's nowhere near what it was 2 years ago, I'd guess people
        are updating to newer, smaller players.

        Ed

        --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "moparelwood"
        <sorton@b...> wrote:

        > Knock! Knock! Anyone Home! Where did everyone go? The activity of
        this
        > group sure dropped off lately? Now that I have stated the obvious
        here
        > is a question.
        >
        > I am thinking of upgrading from a studio 20 to a recorder, more
        > correctly I should say adding to my collection. I have been
        looking on
        > ebay but haven't had much luck with bidding. I must cheap. What's
        > fair price for a recorder and what versions would you recommend? I
        > want to stick with Rockbox compatible unit. Anyone got one for
        sale?

        > Thanks for your help.
        >
        > Stephen
      • R. Brent Stansfield
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3 12:57 PM
          --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "Ed C." <elc944@a...> wrote:
          > It's nowhere near what it was 2 years ago, I'd guess people
          > are updating to newer, smaller players.

          Or, as the Reverand in Footloose once said: "I guess sometimes people
          just run out of things to say."

          My 6GB Recorder has been my best pal for 5 years. The benefit of 14
          more GB and 5 fewer ounces is less than cost of tossing a perfectly
          good, well-designed machine.

          I'll lurk here (or my RSS reader will, at least) until Yahoo deletes
          the group to make room more...whatever.
        • funkngonut
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 4 10:12 AM
            --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "R. Brent Stansfield"
            <rbstansfield@y...> wrote:
            > My 6GB Recorder has been my best pal for 5 years. The benefit of 14
            > more GB and 5 fewer ounces is less than cost of tossing a perfectly
            > good, well-designed machine.

            I upgraded from the JB6000 so the benefits were

            Better screen
            Much better sound
            USB 2.0
            Recording ability
            and of course the most important feature - Black bumpers.

            I had problems with my first recorder and had to replace it. I
            prolly bid on about fifty of them before I was able to get one for
            about $120. I'ts damn hard to get one cheaper than that.

            Funk
          • joiseyjoe
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 4 8:48 PM
              Coincidentally, after a long time resisting, I upgraded to a smaller
              player today going with an RCA Lyra 2850 ( 20 GB HD). Could not
              resist the sale price ( $147) at a local store. My daughter is
              getting my old player 5, but i'm still keeping the recorder 15.

              wrote:

              > Get the Recorder Version 1, $150 or less is a good price.
              >
              > I agree. The group activity has certainly dropped in the last
              year
              > or so. It's nowhere near what it was 2 years ago, I'd guess
              people
              > are updating to newer, smaller players.
              >
              > Ed
              >

              > --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "moparelwood"
              > <sorton@b...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Knock! Knock! Anyone Home! Where did everyone go? The activity
              of
              > this
              > > group sure dropped off lately? Now that I have stated the
              obvious
              > here
              > > is a question.
              > >
              > > I am thinking of upgrading from a studio 20 to a recorder, more
              > > correctly I should say adding to my collection. I have been
              > looking on
              > > ebay but haven't had much luck with bidding. I must cheap.
              What's
              > > fair price for a recorder and what versions would you recommend?
              > > want to stick with Rockbox compatible unit. Anyone got one for
              > sale?
              > >
              > > Thanks for your help.
              > >
              > > Stephen
            • Derek Sylvester
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 4 9:49 PM
                Sounds like a deal where is that at?

                Thanks, Derek

                wrote:

                > Get the Recorder Version 1, $150 or less is a good price.
                >
                > I agree. The group activity has certainly dropped in the last
                year
                > or so. It's nowhere near what it was 2 years ago, I'd guess
                people
                > are updating to newer, smaller players.
                >
                > Ed
                >

                > --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "moparelwood"
                > <sorton@b...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Knock! Knock! Anyone Home! Where did everyone go? The activity
                of
                > this
                > > group sure dropped off lately? Now that I have stated the
                obvious
                > here
                > > is a question.
                > >
                > > I am thinking of upgrading from a studio 20 to a recorder, more
                > > correctly I should say adding to my collection. I have been
                > looking on
                > > ebay but haven't had much luck with bidding. I must cheap.
                What's
                > > fair price for a recorder and what versions would you recommend?
                > > want to stick with Rockbox compatible unit. Anyone got one for
                > sale?
                > >
                > > Thanks for your help.
                > >
                > > Stephen

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              • Jim Yukich
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 5 8:17 AM
                  Hi Y'all,

                  It's been a long time since I posted anything, but I still enjoy receiving.

                  I'm still using my original AJB six gig running the latest release of
                  Rokbox. For most daily away from home uses I have converted to a flash based
                  player with USB 2. At home I have set up a LAN to stream music to pretty
                  much anywhere I want it on my property. I use the AJB to keep a few gigs of
                  my most favorite albums handy so that I can access them without having to
                  fire up the network or when I need some tunes to get me through a long
                  drive, etc.

                  It ain't the smallest or cutest HD unit out there for sure, but has proven
                  to be rugged and reliable. Running Rokbox also adds the advantage of having
                  the best and simplest management system available for any player that I am
                  aware of.

                  Just make sure you have those Koss Porta Pros handy.

                  YT,
                  Scorpion

                • wideasleep1
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 5 8:58 PM
                    --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Yukich"
                    <srscorpion@h...> wrote:

                    > Hi Y'all,
                    >
                    > It's been a long time since I posted anything, but I still enjoy
                    receiving.

                    I'll say..try Post 20365, well over a year ago! Dude! :P Glad yer
                    doin well!

                    > I'm still using my original AJB six gig running the latest release
                    of
                    > Rokbox. For most daily away from home uses I have converted to a
                    flash based
                    > player with USB 2.

                    All three of my boxen still work as well as the day I got'em. Simply
                    amazing if you think about it, with how cheap they were built and
                    chintzy they look. O'course all ov'em have had drive upgrades, and
                    new cells everynowandthen.

                    > At home I have set up a LAN to stream music to pretty
                    > much anywhere I want it on my property.

                    Same here, only obsessively so. I first got a Netgear MP101, had
                    serious issues and started another Yahoo group:
                    and in a fit of real questionable intelligence, bought another! Sold
                    one, bought another...long story short, I fight with them daily, but
                    it is so sweet never touching anything more than a remote to listen
                    to my entire collection. Then came another obsession with XM radio
                    and related gear(4 radios!!), and FM broadcasting with a Ramsey
                    FM25B. I can broadcast either my JB contents or XM for several
                    blocks with legal power(more if I wanna live on the edge). I still
                    don't think I'm done either...there's got to be more!

                    I use the AJB to keep a few gigs of
                    > my most favorite albums handy so that I can access them without
                    having to
                    > fire up the network or when I need some tunes to get me through a
                    long
                    > drive, etc.
                    >
                    > It ain't the smallest or cutest HD unit out there for sure, but
                    has proven
                    > to be rugged and reliable. Running Rokbox also adds the advantage
                    of having
                    > the best and simplest management system available for any player
                    that I am
                    > aware of.

                    I'd agree..certainly I'd lost interest already if all we had was the
                    Archos firmware..RBox continues to allow JB's to survive. I have
                    almost zero interest in portable video, so the AV or gmini and other
                    variants in my stable is not likely. It's always been about the
                    music, for me.

                    > Just make sure you have those Koss Porta Pros handy.

                    Oh yea..another extension borne from the JB was headphone hifi and
                    portable amp building(Senn HD-580's, a slew of 'magic-driver' Koss
                    60 ohm drivers, various earbuds,CMoys,Meta42's...). That first JB
                    really screwed up my value system, and I've been broke ever since!
                    lol Good to hear from ya!

                    > YT,
                    > Scorpion

                  • Jim Yukich
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 6 4:36 PM
                      Hi Sleepy Guy ;]

                      You have the tech bug a lot worse than I do, for sure. My AJB is still
                      running the original HD. Only upgrades are better batteries (remember the
                      endless threads about battery life?) and the obligatory Rat Shack charger.
                      Sometimes I use the Rat Shack car charger unit, but usually I just run it
                      off the batteries.

                      Had to drive into San Francisco this AM (about 120 miles round trip).
                      Beautiful sunny weather, no traffic and the AJB happily sending random tunes
                      to the cassette head unit. More than decent sound for the road. Latest
                      Rokbox really perked up the line out jack.

                      Only thing is that when I want to load up some new tunes the old USB 1 seems
                      like really slooow.

                      Good talkin' to ya.

                      YT,
                      Scorpion