RE: [archosjukebox6000] Re: Sony noise canceling earphones

  • Jose M. Sanchez
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 10, 2005
      Re: Hot

      I've never found it to be a problem. When I did the first one I had a minor
      problem getting the wired caps to stay put while I re-assembled the circuit
      boards.

      I ended up sticking them to the board so they would not move during
      re-assembly (I purposely left them loose..) with double sided sticky tape.

      When I opened the JB up over a year later, things were as I left them... no
      problem vis-a-vis heat, and your caps should not be that close to the
      regulation circuitry anyway.

      Re: 100uf

      You mean caps not resistors right?

      Yeah 100uf will not result in a dramatic improvement. The ideal solution
      would be to use 440uf caps, though these tend to be -BIG-!

      I ended up with dual 200uf caps in parallel on each channel. I purchased the
      SMD 5v kind from http://www.goldmine-elec.com/default.htm which fit off
      board.

      Re: resistors...

      When we originally explored this mod, one poster eliminated the resistors
      altogether. Ultimately this is not a good idea as some load should be
      present to protect the circuitry.

      Obtaining a lower value (10-15 ohm) SMD mount set from an old computer board
      is a snap.... just measure the resistance with a meter, and carefully
      desolder from the old computer board.

      They easily replace the existing resistors, and look quite good to boot.

      Re: Wire

      As I mentioned I used pretty thin wire-wrap wire. The actual output from the
      JB is relatively low so the wire gauge does not present a problem.

      Heck these signals are being carried over much finer conductive runs on the
      circuit board... so using fine wire is not prohibited.

      BTW: I completely desoldered all of the circuit boards each time I did this.
      This included the side battery rails, end boards, etc.

      I removed all solder and afterwards carefully re-assembled them while
      holding things together with small clamps.

      This resulted in a far more sturdy "build" of the JB that thereafter never
      exhibited any of it's original idiosyncrasies...

      -JMS

      _____

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 11, 2005
        Now for my 2 cents worth:

        The 100uf caps will be fine for headphones that are
        about 30 ohms or more. Impedances less than that, the
        bass response will start to roll off a little. I
        plugged 8 ohm speakers into my modified JB with 100uf
        capacitors and I would guess that the bass was rolled
        off about 6 db at 100hz or so. This is not all that
        terrible, really. For truly great performace with 16
        ohm earbuds, you should try to get 200uf or more worth
        of capacitors on each channel if you can, (assuming
        you also drop that total value of the series resistor
        down to 8-12 ohms from it's original 47) but if you
        can't you probably still will make about 90% of the
        improvement to be made with the 100uf caps.

        Heat is not a problem with sticking the capacitors by
        the power supply. The batteries (when charging)
        generate most of the heat in the unit.

        Wiring isn't a problem either, but just make sure it
        will be reliable through years of vibration, ambient
        heat, etc. I consider my mod pretty ugly since I
        didn't use SMD components or proper heat-shrink like
        others did, yet it has worked great for many years
        now.

        If you have the skill to do this mod, it is worth
        doing, especially if you attempt to use low impedance
        headphones with the JB players.

        === message truncated ===

        http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250