Help! Need to rescue critical data from failed ajbrv.2

  • deckerja2000
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
      I'm exasperated, I've had four jukeboxes and one Gmini all of which
      have been unreliable. Today, while traveling in Turkey, my AJBR v.2
      recently returned from Archos tech support for faulty recharge
      circuit, broke again. It fails to boot up, the green light flashes
      over and over and the hard drive sounds stuck. This time it's
      particularly bad because I have essential work on the drive that's
      not backed up... because my Gmini is also kaput.

      My question. Since my warranty is invalid for having sent the device
      to Archos with Rockbox loaded on it. Yes, this invalidates your
      warranty. And because Archos is sure to delete any data even if I pay
      to have them fix it. It easy enough to remove the drive, but can
      anyone tell me what specs I need to attend to for connecting a laptop
      drive to another system in hopes of saving my data? I havea Toshiba
      satelitte laptop, and a desktop system.

      Also, can anyone recommend a repair service that won't delete my data
      in the process of charging me for fixing (yet again) my broken Archos?

      Many million thanks.
    • kai.heitmann@owl-online.de
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
        There is a nice tool, "Get Data Back" , one for NTFS and one for FAT
        Install the Software on another Harddisk then your crashed Harddisk,
        it will completely scan the brocken hdd surface and gives you a directory of
        files that could be backup.

        Kai
        > I'm exasperated, I've had four jukeboxes and one Gmini all of which
        > have been unreliable. Today, while traveling in Turkey, my AJBR v.2
        > recently returned from Archos tech support for faulty recharge
        > circuit, broke again. It fails to boot up, the green light flashes
        > over and over and the hard drive sounds stuck. This time it's
        > particularly bad because I have essential work on the drive that's
        > not backed up... because my Gmini is also kaput.
        >
        > My question. Since my warranty is invalid for having sent the device
        > to Archos with Rockbox loaded on it. Yes, this invalidates your
        > warranty. And because Archos is sure to delete any data even if I pay
        > to have them fix it. It easy enough to remove the drive, but can
        > anyone tell me what specs I need to attend to for connecting a laptop
        > drive to another system in hopes of saving my data? I havea Toshiba
        > satelitte laptop, and a desktop system.
        >
        > Also, can anyone recommend a repair service that won't delete my data
        > in the process of charging me for fixing (yet again) my broken Archos?
        >
        > Many million thanks.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • linus_nielsen
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
          --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "deckerja2000"
          <meremortal@m...> wrote:

          > It fails to boot up, the green light flashes
          > over and over and the hard drive sounds stuck.

          That sounds like a battery problem. The problem might be that only one
          of the two battery connectors inside the box makes contact with the
          battery, so there isn't enough juice to start the hard drive. Remove
          the battery, clean the contact surfaces and see if you can bend the
          connectors inside a little towards the battery.

          > It easy enough to remove the drive, but can
          > anyone tell me what specs I need to attend to for connecting a
          > laptop drive to another system in hopes of saving my data?

          Buy a 2.5" -> 3.5" IDE adapter and connect it to your desktop PC.

          Linus
        • Cathy De Viney
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
            Mine was misbehaving and I bought a new battery...it is like new now.
            > It fails to boot up, the green light flashes
            > over and over and the hard drive sounds stuck.

            That sounds like a battery problem. The problem might be that only one
            of the two battery connectors inside the box makes contact with the
            battery, so there isn't enough juice to start the hard drive. Remove
            the battery, clean the contact surfaces and see if you can bend the
            connectors inside a little towards the battery.

            > It easy enough to remove the drive, but can
            > anyone tell me what specs I need to attend to for connecting a
            > laptop drive to another system in hopes of saving my data?

            Buy a 2.5" -> 3.5" IDE adapter and connect it to your desktop PC.

            Linus

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor