Jukebox Recorder V2

  • Cathy De Viney
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 16, 2004
      Is there a setting which will allow playing to continue folder to folder?
      Currently, when I get to the end of a folder, it stops playing, rather than
      continuing to the next folder.
    • Allan Q. Manuel
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 28, 2004
        Yes there is. Create a playlist!

        --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "Cathy De Viney"
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
          I don't think that will work. I listen to audio books. A book has several CDs, each CD is converted into MP3s into one folder...ie 10 CDs = 10 folders. Each track on each CD is just called Track 01, Track 02, etc.

          But thank you for the suggestion.

          > Is there a setting which will allow playing to continue folder to
          folder?
          > Currently, when I get to the end of a folder, it stops playing,
          rather than
          > continuing to the next folder.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Get unlimited calls to

          U.S./Canada

        • C.Joseph Drayton

            Hi Kathy,

            The path to the file is included in the filename, so making a playlist
            will work. Basically you can have a dozen files with the same name but
            in different directories, and you will be able to access any/all of
            them via the playlist.

            Ciao . . .
            C.Joseph

            ++ Let know man judge me until . . .
            ~ he has walked the road I have . . .
            ~ in the shoes I've worn. ++

            http://kalek1.home.mindspring.com

            |------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            | Yahoo! Groups Links
            |
            | a.. To visit your group on the web, go to:
            |
            | b.. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
            |
            | c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
            Service.

            |[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            |

            |Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Cathy De Viney
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
              OK...thanks so much...I will give that a try.

              Does anyone have a suggestion for the "best" playlist creator? I have WinAmp.

              :-) Cathy

              |------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              | Yahoo! Groups Links
              |
              | a.. To visit your group on the web, go to:
              |
              | b.. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
              |
              | c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
              Service.

              |[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              |

              |Yahoo! Groups Links

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Get unlimited calls to

              U.S./Canada

            • Neon John
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
                On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:12:37 -0500, "Cathy De Viney"
                <cdeviney@...> wrote:

                >I don't think that will work. I listen to audio books. A book has several CDs, each CD is converted into MP3s into one folder...ie 10 CDs = 10 folders. Each track on each CD is just called Track 01, Track 02, etc.

                yes, a playlist will do that just fine. All a playlist consists of is a
                list of file names to play. The fastest way to make that list is from the
                windows command line prompt:

                c:>\cd <book_dir>
                c:\book_dir>dir /b/s/A-D >playlist.m3u

                This walks the directory tree below the current directory, creates a
                "bare" list of files and only lists objects that are not directories.

                Leave the playlist in the <book_dir> and simply PLAY it.

                I archive my audio books because I enjoy listening to them again later.
                Therefore I go the extra step and rename the files correctly. I use CDex
                to rip which creates files with the "track 01", etc names. After each CD
                rips, I rename the directory to the disc number. Then I use a freebie
                renaming utility called THErename
                http://www.herve-thouzard.com/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=3

                This handy utility can mass rename files with a variety of options
                including generating sequence numbers. I just use the "replace" <F3 key>
                to replace "Track " with "<bookname> xx-". Where xx is the CD number. It
                takes less time to do it than to read about it. I can do it while the
                next CD is ripping. This will produce names like "Fire 01-01.mp3" for the
                first file, "Fire 01-02.mp3 for the next file, "Fire 01-02.mp3" for the
                first file of the 2nd CD, etc. I make the directory name of the form
                <book> - <author>

                I use CDex with LAME for ripping with the bit rate set to 32k, the sample
                rate set to AUTO, MPEG 2.5, MONO, CBR and quality NORMAL. This compresses
                sufficiently that I can fit from 5 to about 9 books to a data CD for
                archiving. I keep a spreadsheet of all my books, the disc each one is
                archived on, whether I've 'read' it or not and a short comment about how
                well I liked the book.

                I'm up over 1500 books in my collection now so I can say that this method
                works very well.

                John

                >But thank you for the suggestion.

                ---
                John De Armond
                johngdDONTYOUDARE@...
                http://bellsouthpwp.net/j/o/johngd/
                Cleveland, Occupied TN
              • Chris Holt
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
                  No reason why it wouldn't work.

                  Playlists contain both path and filename.

                  You must not be using Rockbox. I would recommend that over any solution.
                  The bookmarking feature makes audiobook listening a joy and I am pretty
                  sure that rockbox plays from folder to folder, without the need of a
                  playlist.

                  Chris

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
                    Neon John wrote:

                    > to replace "Track " with "<bookname> xx-". Where xx is the CD number. It
                    > takes less time to do it than to read about it. I can do it while the
                    > next CD is ripping. This will produce names like "Fire 01-01.mp3" for the
                    > first file, "Fire 01-02.mp3 for the next file, "Fire 01-02.mp3" for the
                    > first file of the 2nd CD, etc. I make the directory name of the form
                    > <book> - <author>

                    As a "take it or leave it" suggestion, I find that prefixing the track
                    number as opposed to postfixing it makes for much easier browsing on the
                    limited display of most MP3 players. It frees you up to make the title
                    longer without having to wait for a scroll to see which track you are on.

                    Just my 2/100.

                    Chris
                  • Cathy De Viney
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
                      I am using RockBox and it stops at the end of each folder. I was really hoping there was some setting I was missing that would allow continuous play from one folder to the next.

                      The playlist is workable, but I would still just like it to jump to the next folder w/o having to build a playlist for each book.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
                        Ah, OK. I sold my Archos JBR 20 some months ago, and have been using a
                        couple of iRiver products. (iHP 890 flash player and H120 HDD based
                        player) all of the iRiver products go from folder to folder unless set
                        otherwise and this behavior seems to have corrupted my fragile memory. :)

                        You know that Rockbox can create the playlist right there on the player?
                        That is one thing I do remember... Assuming each book is a folder and
                        each chapter a sub folder, You simply navigate to the book folder, enter
                        the menu and create the playlist. Pretty quick function, IIRC.

                        Chris

                        Cathy De Viney wrote:
                        > I am using RockBox and it stops at the end of each folder. I was really hoping there was some setting I was missing that would allow continuous play from one folder to the next.
                        >
                        > The playlist is workable, but I would still just like it to jump to the next folder w/o having to build a playlist for each book.

                      • Cathy De Viney
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
                          Yes, the playlst is working...but I just think it odd that it stops at the end of each folder. I figured there was some setting I was missing.

                          My CD-MP3 player plays through to the next folder...no problem.

                          Thanks to all who provided suggestions.

                          Cathy De Viney wrote:
                          > I am using RockBox and it stops at the end of each folder. I was really hoping there was some setting I was missing that would allow continuous play from one folder to the next.
                          >
                          > The playlist is workable, but I would still just like it to jump to the next folder w/o having to build a playlist for each book.

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        • C.Joseph Drayton