Jukebox 6000 & XP

  • Richard Harrison
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2004
      I haven't moved songs around on my jukebox for some time. Today I
      plugged it into my PC and it wouldn't work. XP installed
      an "unknown" USB device that didnt' have any drives and that I
      couldn't update.

      I tried deleting the device and still couldn't XP to correctly
      recognize the jukebox.

      I even tried downloading the preinstaller software from the Archo
      website & it did the same thing.

      Is there a trick I'm missing?

      thanks,
    • Cobey Schmidt
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2004
        I've had this issue, specifically using the front USB ports on my PC.
        Turned out to be a bum port. (no idea when or how it went bad) Connected
        the Archos to a rear port and everything was great.

        > I haven't moved songs around on my jukebox for some time. Today I
        > plugged it into my PC and it wouldn't work. XP installed
        > an "unknown" USB device that didnt' have any drives and that I
        > couldn't update.
        >
        > I tried deleting the device and still couldn't XP to correctly
        > recognize the jukebox.
        >
        > I even tried downloading the preinstaller software from the Archo
        > website & it did the same thing.
        >
        > Is there a trick I'm missing?
        >
        > thanks,

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >
        > To visit your group on the web, go
        > to:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/archosjukebox6000/
        > to:archosjukebox6000-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

      • wideasleep1
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2004
          Sounds like XP's registry entry for the JB USB is hosed. May want to
          try the driver update how-to from our files section:
          http://tinyurl.com/68ud3
          G'Luck!

          --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "Cobey Schmidt"
          <lgic@g...> wrote:
          > I've had this issue, specifically using the front USB ports on my
          PC.
          > Turned out to be a bum port. (no idea when or how it went bad)
          Connected
          > the Archos to a rear port and everything was great.
          >

          > > I haven't moved songs around on my jukebox for some time. Today
          > > plugged it into my PC and it wouldn't work. XP installed
          > > an "unknown" USB device that didnt' have any drives and that I
          > > couldn't update.
          > >
          > > I tried deleting the device and still couldn't XP to correctly
          > > recognize the jukebox.
          > >
          > > I even tried downloading the preinstaller software from the Archo
          > > website & it did the same thing.
          > >
          > > Is there a trick I'm missing?
          > >
          > > thanks,

          > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >
          > > To visit your group on the web, go
          > > to:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/archosjukebox6000/
          > > to:archosjukebox6000-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
          Service.

        • Chris Holt
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2004
            On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 02:38:29 -0000, Richard Harrison wrote:

            > I haven't moved songs around on my jukebox for some time. Today I
            > plugged it into my PC and it wouldn't work. XP installed an "unknown"
            > USB device that didnt' have any drives and that I couldn't update.
            >
            > I tried deleting the device and still couldn't XP to correctly
            > recognize the jukebox.
            >
            > I even tried downloading the preinstaller software from the Archo
            > website & it did the same thing.
            >
            > Is there a trick I'm missing?
            >
            > thanks,

            Here's a trick I've used successfully with stubborn device drivers. Try
            disabling the device before you remove it. I believe that sometimes a
            driver gets installed and thinks it's constantly in use, so it's never
            really removed even though it appears to be.

            Chris
          • Richard Harrison
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 19, 2004
              Well, I followed the "tricks" listing in the files and was able to
              update the device drives in XP. But, I then desided that I'd
              reformat my jukebox and start over. Every time I go into the admin
              tools in XP and point to the jukebox drive my computer cashes.

              In the end I've hooked the jukebox up to another computer that is
              still running Win2k and did the reformat there.

              Tonight I'll plug the newly formated jukebox back into my XP box and
              see if I can use it without crashing.

              Wish me luck.

              --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Harrison"
              <richardcrharrison@y...> wrote:

              > I haven't moved songs around on my jukebox for some time. Today I
              > plugged it into my PC and it wouldn't work. XP installed
              > an "unknown" USB device that didnt' have any drives and that I
              > couldn't update.
              >
              > I tried deleting the device and still couldn't XP to correctly
              > recognize the jukebox.
              >
              > I even tried downloading the preinstaller software from the Archo
              > website & it did the same thing.
              >
              > Is there a trick I'm missing?
              >
              > thanks,
            • karl 'the_angry_angel' southern
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 19, 2004
                Richard Harrison wrote:

                > In the end I've hooked the jukebox up to another computer that is
                > still running Win2k and did the reformat there.

                i've had the same problem with my ajb6000, using usb 1.x, but with no
                success on XP. everything just locks up. my only solution was to use my
                laptop temporarily, but since then I've adopted a method of using a
                Laptop-to-IDE adapter, and using a linux bootdisk :(
                if you find a winning solution i'd be happy to know :)

                --
                Karl 'the_angry_angel' Southern
                http://theangryangel.is-a-geek.com/