Re: returning recorder w/ rockbox

  • jc
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003
      definately sounds like the solder connections on the battery
      terminals-i had a unit that had the same problem.

      i think you'd need the archos firmware to claim under the warrenty-
      don't even mention that you've had rockbox on it as that'd give them
      an excuse not to do anything.

      g'luck.

      j.c.

      "Aelphaba Thropp" <xenobea@r...> wrote:
      > >did it still freeze even using rockbox firmware?
      >
      > Yes, it did. I was hoping that would fix the problem but it
      doesn't
      > seem to. What's more, I set it to display the clock and it would
      > constantly "forget" what time it was. Also I set it to display the
      > battery charge in numbers and a few times there were precipitous
      > drops in charge when I had actually used the unit very little.
      >
      > I am fairly certain from reading previous posts and solutions that
      it
      > must be some kind of faulty soldering. I can force the unit to
      screw
      > up by squeezing the sides (why would I do that?) and it works best
      > when carried in my hand horizontally, not stuck in purse or
      pocket.
      > That's not really my idea of a convenient portable player. What's
      > more, I have a twenty minute walk to the subway in the morning, and
      > nine times out of ten, the unit freezes during playback way before
      > get to the subway. I have even tried placing the unit carefully on
      > desk and not touching it just to see if it would work and that's
      not
      > always a guaranteed playback either.
      >
      > > You have to take into account that people post when they have a
      > > problem,
      >
      > Noted.
      >
      > >> I'm sure I can DL the firmware
      > > > from the archos site and stick it back on, but is that
      generally
      > > > necessary when sending the unit back? What do folks think?
      >
      > Still haven't heard an answer to this.
      >
      > Thanks in advance.
    • dlsfever
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 4, 2003
        I had a similiar problem where I squeezed the sides where the
        batteries were and the unit would shutdown. If I would leave the
        unit on a table it would run find. I had it serviced by Archos
        because the unit was still under warranty. They told me that the
        mainboard was defective and was replace.

        --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, Dave Thayer
        <yahoogroups@t...> wrote:
        > On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 02:15:34PM -0000, Aelphaba Thropp wrote:
        > > >did it still freeze even using rockbox firmware?
        > >
        > > Yes, it did. I was hoping that would fix the problem but it
        doesn't
        > > seem to. What's more, I set it to display the clock and it
        would
        > > constantly "forget" what time it was. Also I set it to display
        the
        > > battery charge in numbers and a few times there were precipitous
        > > drops in charge when I had actually used the unit very little.
        > >
        > > I am fairly certain from reading previous posts and solutions
        that it
        > > must be some kind of faulty soldering. I can force the unit to
        screw
        > > up by squeezing the sides (why would I do that?) and it works
        best
        > > when carried in my hand horizontally, not stuck in purse or
        pocket.
        > > That's not really my idea of a convenient portable player.
        What's
        > > more, I have a twenty minute walk to the subway in the morning,
        and
        > > nine times out of ten, the unit freezes during playback way
        before I
        > > get to the subway. I have even tried placing the unit carefully
        on a
        > > desk and not touching it just to see if it would work and that's
        not
        > > always a guaranteed playback either.
        >
        > If your unit is a the kind that uses AA size NIMH cells try gently
        > stretching the springs in the battery compartments. Your problem
        has all
        > of the earmarks of a bad battery connection. Burnishing the ends
        of the
        > batteries with a dollar bill can be helful, too.
        >
        > dt
        >
        > --
        > Dave Thayer | WARNING: Persons denying the existence of
        > Denver, Colorado USA | robots may be robots themselves.
        > dave@t... |
      • Aelphaba Thropp
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 5, 2003
          I think I would have played with the battery compartment stuff as
          Dave described (thanks Dave!) or contacted Archos, however, since I
          paid good money for Circuit City's replacement program thing, I went
          ahead and sent it back to Circuit City. I did make the guy promise
          when I bought it that they would replace it even if I dropped it,
          however, the poor machine never really worked right. The headphones
          were worse than pathetic, also, though I shouldn't have thrown them
          away if I had realized I'd be sending the unit back. Now I have to
          figure out what I'm going to get to replace it. I really should have
          returned it right away, because I could have walked right into the
          store with it then, but the products that are out there now are
          better anyway.

          - Sarah

          --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "dlsfever" <dlsfever@y...>