recording on rockbox

  • jc
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 30, 2003
      does anyone know what the rockbox record settings 'independant
      frames' & 'time split' do? i had a play but cant suss it.

      also does anyone know how the record 'quality' settings relate to
      Kbits/sec?

      thanks, .jc.
    • linus_nielsen
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 30, 2003
        --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "jc" <joncooky@y...> wrote:
        > does anyone know what the rockbox record settings 'independant
        > frames' & 'time split' do? i had a play but cant suss it.

        Independent Frames means that the bit reservior is disabled, which
        allows for easuer editing with an MP3 editor.

        Time Split splits the recording into several files, useful for very
        long recordings, since the max file size is 2Gbytes.

        > also does anyone know how the record 'quality' settings relate to
        > Kbits/sec?

        http://rockbox.haxx.se/docs/mas3587f_2pd.pdf

        Page 38.

        Linus
      • Andreas Stemmer
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 30, 2003
          jc wrote:
          > does anyone know what the rockbox record settings 'independant
          > frames' & 'time split' do? i had a play but cant suss it.

          independant frames: no bit reservoir is used, therefore it's much "cleaner"
          to cut those files on frame boundaries, but they will be a little bit
          bigger.

          time split: a new file is created after xx hours of recording

          > also does anyone know how the record 'quality' settings relate to
          > Kbits/sec?

          for 44.1 kHz stereo, quality 0 is about 75 kbps, quality 7 about 170 kbps
          (average), quality 1-6 somewhere between

          for more detailed information, look at the mas datasheet on the rockbox page
          http://rockbox.haxx.se/docs/mas3587f_2pd.pdf
          (table 3-13 on page 38)

          Andreas Stemmer
        • Mark Bonnlander
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2003
            > does anyone know what the rockbox record settings 'independant
            > frames' & 'time split' do? i had a play but cant suss it.

            independant frames: no bit reservoir is used, therefore it's much "cleaner"
            to cut those files on frame boundaries, but they will be a little bit
            bigger.

            This might be a totally unrelated question. When I open an MP3
            recording(rockboxx) in cooledit2000 it performs a "Fronhofer IIS analysis",
            often it cuts off 15-25 of the recording at the beginning and end. This is
            really annoying. The only way I've found to fix this is do LAME MP3 to MP3
            conversion using Acoustica converter. Then when I open it in Cooledit it
            reads the file just fine. What is going on here and does it have anything to
            do frame boundaries mentioned above?

            Thanks, Mark
          • linus_nielsen
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 2, 2003
              --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Bonnlander"
              <mbonnlander@i...> wrote:
              > This might be a totally unrelated question. When I open an MP3
              > recording(rockboxx) in cooledit2000 it performs a "Fronhofer IIS
              > analysis", often it cuts off 15-25 of the recording at the
              > beginning and end. This is really annoying. The only way I've
              > found to fix this is do LAME MP3 to MP3 conversion using
              > Acoustica converter. Then when I open it in Cooledit it
              > reads the file just fine. What is going on here and does it have
              > anything to do frame boundaries mentioned above?

              Not sure. It may be that CoolEdit is unable to parse the ID3V2 header.
              Try to remove the header and see if that helps.

              Linus