Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [archosjukebox6000] Re: Navigating hundreds of albums...

Expand Messages
  • J. Coon
    I thought we were talking about using the Archos. Since they aren t all in the same directory (folder) you can navigate to that folder and find the tune you
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 2, 2003
    • 0 Attachment
      I thought we were talking about using the Archos. Since they aren't all
      in the same directory (folder) you can navigate to that folder and find
      the tune you wan.

      jradi wrote:
      > Thank you all for your input - I already have all my mp3's organized
      > as you've mentioned - artist/album/nn_trackname.mp3 because I've
      > found this system works best with the mp3 cd players i've owned.
      >
      > what i'm hesitant about - is that I can just imagine, on a RioVolt
      > player - with 3 or 4 lines of text (i forget which) - but to scroll
      > through the 300 artists would still take a long time and be
      > agonizing...
      >
      > In My Computer - or using a large display, it's not so bad because
      > each click of the page down button covers a lot of folders, but when
      > there are only 2-4 albums listed at a time, it could take 75-150
      > clicks to get to the end, that's a lot!
      >
      > - I guess I'll just have to get one and find out for myself...
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
      > archosjukebox6000-unsubscribe@egroups.com
      >
      >
      >
      > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      >
      >
      >
    • jradi
      I was talking about the Archos. But am I mistaken that if I have 400 artist folders, it would take 100-200 button keypresses to navigate through to the last
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
      • 0 Attachment
        I was talking about the Archos. But am I mistaken that if I have
        400 artist folders, it would take 100-200 button keypresses to
        navigate through to the last directory? Or does the software have a
        faster way of navigating (like jump 10 directories per key press?)

        --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "J. Coon" <liteways@t...>
        wrote:
        > I thought we were talking about using the Archos. Since they
        aren't all
        > in the same directory (folder) you can navigate to that folder and
        find
        > the tune you wan.
      • J. Coon
        In that case, I would set up a set of 26 folders and but the artist folders in folder that puts them in alphabetical order. You could sub divide those folders
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
        • 0 Attachment
          In that case, I would set up a set of 26 folders and but the artist
          folders in folder that puts them in alphabetical order. You could sub
          divide those folders if you wwanted to.

          I certainly wouldn't want to scroll through 400 of anything, even in
          Windows!


          You could also break them up into types songs(genre) if you wanted to.
          It is as flexible as windows explorer is, except there is no FIND
          function.

          jradi wrote:

          > I was talking about the Archos. But am I mistaken that if I have
          > 400 artist folders, it would take 100-200 button keypresses to
          > navigate through to the last directory? Or does the software have a
          > faster way of navigating (like jump 10 directories per key press?)
          >
          > --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "J. Coon" <liteways@t...>
          > wrote:
          >
          >>I thought we were talking about using the Archos. Since they
          >
          > aren't all
          >
          >>in the same directory (folder) you can navigate to that folder and
          >
          > find
          >
          >>the tune you wan.
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
          > archosjukebox6000-unsubscribe@egroups.com
          >
          >
          >
          > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          >
          >
          >
        • J. Coon
          I am not sure I made myself clear. Here is an example: A.folder Anistasia Archy and the toppers etc... B.folder Baker Boys Baxter marries the cat off Big
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
          • 0 Attachment
            I am not sure I made myself clear. Here is an example:

            A.folder
            Anistasia
            Archy and the toppers
            etc...
            B.folder
            Baker Boys
            Baxter marries the cat off
            Big Brother
            C.folder
            Cathy and kittens
            Charro
            Cher
            D.folder
            Dave and the Bat Boys



            You get the idea I hope




            J. Coon wrote:
            > In that case, I would set up a set of 26 folders and but the artist
            > folders in folder that puts them in alphabetical order. You could sub
            > divide those folders if you wwanted to.
            >
            > I certainly wouldn't want to scroll through 400 of anything, even in
            > Windows!
            >
            >
            > You could also break them up into types songs(genre) if you wanted to.
            > It is as flexible as windows explorer is, except there is no FIND
            > function.
            >
            > jradi wrote:
            >
            >
            >>I was talking about the Archos. But am I mistaken that if I have
            >>400 artist folders, it would take 100-200 button keypresses to
            >>navigate through to the last directory? Or does the software have a
            >>faster way of navigating (like jump 10 directories per key press?)
            >>
            >>--- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "J. Coon" <liteways@t...>
            >>wrote:
            >>
            >>
            >>>I thought we were talking about using the Archos. Since they
            >>
            >>aren't all
            >>
            >>
            >>>in the same directory (folder) you can navigate to that folder and
            >>
            >>find
            >>
            >>
            >>>the tune you wan.
            >>
            >>
            >>
            >>
            >>
            >>To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
            >>archosjukebox6000-unsubscribe@egroups.com
            >>
            >>
            >>
            >>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            >>
            >>
            >>
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
            > archosjukebox6000-unsubscribe@egroups.com
            >
            >
            >
            > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            >
            >
            >
          • jradi
            Thanks, that s what I wanted to know - if the software had a built in way for navigating through hundreds of folders. At least it will allow me to nest
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 4, 2003
            • 0 Attachment
              Thanks, that's what I wanted to know - if the software had a built
              in way for navigating through hundreds of folders. At least it will
              allow me to nest folders within folders - is there a limit to how
              many folders deep I can go?

              Can I do Something Like This? (roughly, 4 folders deep?)

              A-D
              A
              Anistasia
              Abba
              Ani Difranco
              B
              Barry White
              Beastie Boys
              Beatles
              White
              Help
              Revolver
              Greatest Hits
              C
              D
              E-H
              E
              F
              G
              H





              --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "J. Coon" <liteways@t...>
              wrote:
              > I am not sure I made myself clear. Here is an example:
              >
              > A.folder
              > Anistasia
              > Archy and the toppers
              > etc...
              > B.folder
              > Baker Boys
              > Baxter marries the cat off
              > Big Brother
              > C.folder
              > Cathy and kittens
              > Charro
              > Cher
              > D.folder
              > Dave and the Bat Boys
            • J. Coon
              Try this. On a windows machine, set up a folder containing as many folders as you can make. That is how many you can put on the Archos, since it uses the
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 4, 2003
              • 0 Attachment
                Try this. On a windows machine, set up a folder containing as many
                folders as you can make. That is how many you can put on the Archos,
                since it uses the same folder structure and file structure as Windows
                98, and WIndows 95.

                jradi wrote:

                > Thanks, that's what I wanted to know - if the software had a built
                > in way for navigating through hundreds of folders. At least it will
                > allow me to nest folders within folders - is there a limit to how
                > many folders deep I can go?
                >
                > Can I do Something Like This? (roughly, 4 folders deep?)
                >
                > A-D
                > A
                > Anistasia
                > Abba
                > Ani Difranco
                > B
                > Barry White
                > Beastie Boys
                > Beatles
                > White
                > Help
                > Revolver
                > Greatest Hits
                > C
                > D
                > E-H
                > E
                > F
                > G
                > H
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                > --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "J. Coon" <liteways@t...>
                > wrote:
                >
                >>I am not sure I made myself clear. Here is an example:
                >>
                >>A.folder
                >> Anistasia
                >> Archy and the toppers
                >> etc...
                >>B.folder
                >> Baker Boys
                >> Baxter marries the cat off
                >> Big Brother
                >>C.folder
                >> Cathy and kittens
                >> Charro
                >> Cher
                >>D.folder
                >> Dave and the Bat Boys
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                > archosjukebox6000-unsubscribe@egroups.com
                >
                >
                >
                > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                >
                >
                >
              • James Stewart
                ... Sure this is the spec for FAT32, but that doesn t mean the OS in the JB (either Rockbox or Archos) can navigate that deep or wide before getting a stack
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 6, 2003
                • 0 Attachment
                  --- "J. Coon" <liteways@...> wrote:
                  > Try this. On a windows machine, set up a folder
                  > containing as many
                  > folders as you can make. That is how many you can
                  > put on the Archos,
                  > since it uses the same folder structure and file
                  > structure as Windows 98, and WIndows 95.

                  Sure this is the spec for FAT32, but that doesn't mean
                  the OS in the JB (either Rockbox or Archos) can
                  navigate that deep or wide before getting a stack
                  overflow or something. I think this is probably a
                  good question.

                  __________________________________
                  Do you Yahoo!?
                  Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software
                  http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                • jradi
                  Thanks, I didn t want to beat a dead horse, but it s still on my mind. Can someone confirm that you can at least make a directory tree that goes 5 levels
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 6, 2003
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Thanks, I didn't want to beat a dead horse, but it's still on my
                    mind. Can someone confirm that you can at least make a directory
                    tree that goes 5 levels deep? I've had several MP3 cd players that
                    could only go 2 folders deep - that's why i'm concerned.

                    It wasn't a big deal on an mp3 cd player because, hey, you can only
                    get 700MB's on a disc anyway, but obviously better organization will
                    be necessary on a 20+ GB drive...

                    --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, James Stewart
                    <wartstew@y...> wrote:
                    > --- "J. Coon" <liteways@t...> wrote:
                    > > Try this. On a windows machine, set up a folder
                    > > containing as many
                    > > folders as you can make. That is how many you can
                    > > put on the Archos,
                    > > since it uses the same folder structure and file
                    > > structure as Windows 98, and WIndows 95.
                    >
                    > Sure this is the spec for FAT32, but that doesn't mean
                    > the OS in the JB (either Rockbox or Archos) can
                    > navigate that deep or wide before getting a stack
                    > overflow or something. I think this is probably a
                    > good question.
                    >
                    > __________________________________
                    > Do you Yahoo!?
                    > Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software
                    > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                  • J. Coon
                    Well, I have mine 4 folders deap and it accesses everything ok.
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 7, 2003
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Well, I have mine 4 folders deap and it accesses everything ok.

                      jradi wrote:

                      > Thanks, I didn't want to beat a dead horse, but it's still on my
                      > mind. Can someone confirm that you can at least make a directory
                      > tree that goes 5 levels deep? I've had several MP3 cd players that
                      > could only go 2 folders deep - that's why i'm concerned.
                      >
                      > It wasn't a big deal on an mp3 cd player because, hey, you can only
                      > get 700MB's on a disc anyway, but obviously better organization will
                      > be necessary on a 20+ GB drive...
                      >
                      > --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, James Stewart
                      > <wartstew@y...> wrote:
                      >
                      >>--- "J. Coon" <liteways@t...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >>>Try this. On a windows machine, set up a folder
                      >>>containing as many
                      >>>folders as you can make. That is how many you can
                      >>>put on the Archos,
                      >>>since it uses the same folder structure and file
                      >>>structure as Windows 98, and WIndows 95.
                      >>
                      >>
                      >>Sure this is the spec for FAT32, but that doesn't mean
                      >>the OS in the JB (either Rockbox or Archos) can
                      >>navigate that deep or wide before getting a stack
                      >>overflow or something. I think this is probably a
                      >>good question.
                      >>
                      >>__________________________________
                      >>Do you Yahoo!?
                      >>Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software
                      >>http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                      > archosjukebox6000-unsubscribe@egroups.com
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                      >
                      >
                      >
                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.