Navigating hundreds of albums...

  • jradi
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 31 10:02 PM
      I'm trying to decide between the studio 20 or recorder 10. Of
      course I'll upgrade to rockbox, but I'm curious what it's like
      navigating through hundreds of albums on either the studio or
      recorder version of rockbox...

      that seems like the major selling point of the ipod - with that
      funky dial you can scroll really quickly to get where you want, but
      pushing a button to get through screens of folders just seems
      tedious - am I right?

      I don't know anyone who owns either archos, and have actually never
      played with a working one so I can't say for myself - any feedback
      on what it's like navigating on either or both of these? is there a
      trick you do for organizing your ablums that might make it easier?
      (like creating root level folders a-f, g-l, m-r...)
    • Jim C
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 1, 2003
        Basically I just make folders for each album. IT's just like using
        Windows' MY Computer to explore you computer hard drive and find a
        song, except you don['t have a find function but if you name the
        folders for the albums, you know where it is already. If not, you can
        always plug it into a computer and use windows's explorer and it's
        find function.

        I woiuld go for the recorder if you want to use it to copy tapes or old
        fashioned records. (LPs)

        YOu can also make up play lists and edit them and just play the play
        lists.

        --- jradi <jradi@...> wrote:
        > I'm trying to decide between the studio 20 or recorder 10. Of
        > course I'll upgrade to rockbox, but I'm

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • Jackie Alan Giuliano, Ph.D.
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 1, 2003
          Everyone has a different system to suit their own tastes. For me, root-level
          directories corresponding to the artist's name works for me. I also have
          directories for comedy, children's music, audiobooks and others as suits my
          needs. It is quite easy to navigate, just like using Window's Explorer with
          the front buttons.

          BUT, always get the larger hard drive! You will be begging for more space
          soon enough.

          good luck.

          jackie

          | I'm trying to decide between the studio 20 or recorder 10. Of
          | course I'll upgrade to rockbox, but I'm curious what it's like
          | navigating through hundreds of albums on either the studio or
          | recorder version of rockbox...
          |
          | that seems like the major selling point of the ipod - with that
          | funky dial you can scroll really quickly to get where you want, but
          | pushing a button to get through screens of folders just seems
          | tedious - am I right?
          |
          | I don't know anyone who owns either archos, and have actually never
          | played with a working one so I can't say for myself - any feedback
          | on what it's like navigating on either or both of these? is there a
          | trick you do for organizing your ablums that might make it easier?
          | (like creating root level folders a-f, g-l, m-r...)

        • Dave Thayer
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 1, 2003
            On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 05:02:10AM +0000, jradi wrote:
            > I'm trying to decide between the studio 20 or recorder 10. Of

            Go with the recorder, even if you don't ever record anything the
            recorder has a better display and more buttons, so the User Interface
            is vastly improved. There's a coax digital audio interface if your home
            stereo supports this. The bass response is better with lower impedence
            headphones. Finally, the charging circuit seems to generate less heat.

            > course I'll upgrade to rockbox, but I'm curious what it's like
            > navigating through hundreds of albums on either the studio or
            > recorder version of rockbox...
            > that seems like the major selling point of the ipod - with that
            > funky dial you can scroll really quickly to get where you want, but
            > pushing a button to get through screens of folders just seems
            > tedious - am I right?

            With an appropriate folder layout scheme the navigation is pretty
            easy, probably not as nice as the database-driven models like the ipod
            though.

            > I don't know anyone who owns either archos, and have actually never
            > played with a working one so I can't say for myself - any feedback
            > on what it's like navigating on either or both of these? is there a
            > trick you do for organizing your ablums that might make it easier?
            > (like creating root level folders a-f, g-l, m-r...)

            I use genre/artist/album/nn_trackname.mp3 for my arrangement, where nn
            is the track number (ie 01,02..).
            Prepending a tracknumber to the track name is critical if you want to
            play your tracks in album order as both archos and rockbox firmware
            use alphabetical sorting. Also, if an album has > 9 tracks use leading
            zeros (01 instead of just 1) or track 10,11,12, etc will sort between
            track 1 and track 2.

            HTH

            dt

            --
            Dave Thayer | If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about
            Denver, Colorado USA | cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 1, 2003
              I think the Recorder 20 is your best bet because of
              better LCD display (than the studio) and USB-2 (does
              the Recorder-10 have it?). It is also the last of
              it's product line, so it is the most mature and
              problem free. The FM recorder has some good features
              too, the FM tuner just isn't one of them.

            • rkloiber@srspos.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 1, 2003
                I agree with Dave, I have a recorder (6gig) and 2x 6gig Jukebox Players,
                as well as a Studio 10.
                The player & Studio only give 2 lines of text. The recorder standard
                firmware by Archos
                displays 6, but with Roxbox you can change the font and display more or
                less lines, depending
                on the size.
                I use the Artist, Album method of organizing. Music match does a pretty
                good job of filing.
                I just wish Rockbox would have a find feature like Winamp.!!!!
                The button press is not as nice as the jog wheel, but not that bad..
                I just recently tried an Ipod... Seems pretty nice, although not as easy
                to learn as the Archos.
                Ron

                Dave Thayer
                <yahoogroups@thayer To: archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com
                -boyle.com> cc:
                Subject: Re: [archosjukebox6000] Navigating hundreds of
                09/01/2003 01:07 PM albums...
                Please respond to
                archosjukebox6000

                On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 05:02:10AM +0000, jradi wrote:
                > I'm trying to decide between the studio 20 or recorder 10. Of

                Go with the recorder, even if you don't ever record anything the
                recorder has a better display and more buttons, so the User Interface
                is vastly improved. There's a coax digital audio interface if your home
                stereo supports this. The bass response is better with lower impedence
                headphones. Finally, the charging circuit seems to generate less heat.

                > course I'll upgrade to rockbox, but I'm curious what it's like
                > navigating through hundreds of albums on either the studio or
                > recorder version of rockbox...
                > that seems like the major selling point of the ipod - with that
                > funky dial you can scroll really quickly to get where you want, but
                > pushing a button to get through screens of folders just seems
                > tedious - am I right?

                With an appropriate folder layout scheme the navigation is pretty
                easy, probably not as nice as the database-driven models like the ipod
                though.

                > I don't know anyone who owns either archos, and have actually never
                > played with a working one so I can't say for myself - any feedback
                > on what it's like navigating on either or both of these? is there a
                > trick you do for organizing your ablums that might make it easier?
                > (like creating root level folders a-f, g-l, m-r...)

                I use genre/artist/album/nn_trackname.mp3 for my arrangement, where nn
                is the track number (ie 01,02..).
                Prepending a tracknumber to the track name is critical if you want to
                play your tracks in album order as both archos and rockbox firmware
                use alphabetical sorting. Also, if an album has > 9 tracks use leading
                zeros (01 instead of just 1) or track 10,11,12, etc will sort between
                track 1 and track 2.

                HTH

                dt

                --
                Dave Thayer | If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier
                about
                Denver, Colorado USA | cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all
                dave@... | the time, for no good reason. - Jack Handey

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • jradi
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 2, 2003
                  Thank you all for your input - I already have all my mp3's organized
                  as you've mentioned - artist/album/nn_trackname.mp3 because I've
                  found this system works best with the mp3 cd players i've owned.

                  what i'm hesitant about - is that I can just imagine, on a RioVolt
                  player - with 3 or 4 lines of text (i forget which) - but to scroll
                  through the 300 artists would still take a long time and be
                  agonizing...

                  In My Computer - or using a large display, it's not so bad because
                  each click of the page down button covers a lot of folders, but when
                  there are only 2-4 albums listed at a time, it could take 75-150
                  clicks to get to the end, that's a lot!

                  - I guess I'll just have to get one and find out for myself...
                • J. Coon
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 2, 2003
                    I thought we were talking about using the Archos. Since they aren't all
                    in the same directory (folder) you can navigate to that folder and find
                    the tune you wan.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
                      I was talking about the Archos. But am I mistaken that if I have
                      400 artist folders, it would take 100-200 button keypresses to
                      navigate through to the last directory? Or does the software have a
                      faster way of navigating (like jump 10 directories per key press?)

                      --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "J. Coon" <liteways@t...>
                      wrote:
                      > I thought we were talking about using the Archos. Since they
                      aren't all
                      > in the same directory (folder) you can navigate to that folder and
                      find
                      > the tune you wan.
                    • J. Coon
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
                        In that case, I would set up a set of 26 folders and but the artist
                        folders in folder that puts them in alphabetical order. You could sub
                        divide those folders if you wwanted to.

                        I certainly wouldn't want to scroll through 400 of anything, even in
                        Windows!

                        You could also break them up into types songs(genre) if you wanted to.
                        It is as flexible as windows explorer is, except there is no FIND
                        function.

                        jradi wrote:

                        > I was talking about the Archos. But am I mistaken that if I have
                        > 400 artist folders, it would take 100-200 button keypresses to
                        > navigate through to the last directory? Or does the software have a
                        > faster way of navigating (like jump 10 directories per key press?)
                        >
                        > --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "J. Coon" <liteways@t...>
                        > wrote:
                        >
                        >>I thought we were talking about using the Archos. Since they
                        >
                        > aren't all
                        >
                        >>in the same directory (folder) you can navigate to that folder and
                        >
                        > find
                        >
                        >>the tune you wan.

                      • J. Coon
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
                          I am not sure I made myself clear. Here is an example:

                          A.folder
                          Anistasia
                          Archy and the toppers
                          etc...
                          B.folder
                          Baker Boys
                          Baxter marries the cat off
                          Big Brother
                          C.folder
                          Cathy and kittens
                          Charro
                          Cher
                          D.folder
                          Dave and the Bat Boys

                          You get the idea I hope

                          J. Coon wrote:
                          > In that case, I would set up a set of 26 folders and but the artist
                          > folders in folder that puts them in alphabetical order. You could sub
                          > divide those folders if you wwanted to.
                          >
                          > I certainly wouldn't want to scroll through 400 of anything, even in
                          > Windows!
                          >

                          > You could also break them up into types songs(genre) if you wanted to.
                          > It is as flexible as windows explorer is, except there is no FIND
                          > function.
                          >
                          > jradi wrote:
                          >

                          >>I was talking about the Archos. But am I mistaken that if I have
                          >>400 artist folders, it would take 100-200 button keypresses to
                          >>navigate through to the last directory? Or does the software have a
                          >>faster way of navigating (like jump 10 directories per key press?)
                          >>
                          >>--- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "J. Coon" <liteways@t...>
                          >>wrote:
                          >>

                          >>>I thought we were talking about using the Archos. Since they
                          >>
                          >>aren't all
                          >>

                          >>>in the same directory (folder) you can navigate to that folder and
                          >>
                          >>find
                          >>

                          >>>the tune you wan.

                        • jradi
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 4, 2003
                            Thanks, that's what I wanted to know - if the software had a built
                            in way for navigating through hundreds of folders. At least it will
                            allow me to nest folders within folders - is there a limit to how
                            many folders deep I can go?

                            Can I do Something Like This? (roughly, 4 folders deep?)

                            A-D
                            Anistasia
                            Abba
                            Ani Difranco
                            Barry White
                            Beastie Boys
                            Beatles
                            White
                            Help
                            Revolver
                            Greatest Hits
                            E-H

                            wrote:
                            > I am not sure I made myself clear. Here is an example:
                            >
                            > A.folder
                            > Anistasia
                            > Archy and the toppers
                            > etc...
                            > B.folder
                            > Baker Boys
                            > Baxter marries the cat off
                            > Big Brother
                            > C.folder
                            > Cathy and kittens
                            > Charro
                            > Cher
                            > D.folder
                            > Dave and the Bat Boys
                          • J. Coon
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 4, 2003
                              Try this. On a windows machine, set up a folder containing as many
                              folders as you can make. That is how many you can put on the Archos,
                              since it uses the same folder structure and file structure as Windows
                              98, and WIndows 95.

                              jradi wrote:

                              > Thanks, that's what I wanted to know - if the software had a built
                              > in way for navigating through hundreds of folders. At least it will
                              > allow me to nest folders within folders - is there a limit to how
                              > many folders deep I can go?
                              >
                              > Can I do Something Like This? (roughly, 4 folders deep?)
                              >
                              > A-D
                              > Anistasia
                              > Abba
                              > Ani Difranco
                              > Barry White
                              > Beastie Boys
                              > Beatles
                              > White
                              > Help
                              > Revolver
                              > Greatest Hits
                              > E-H
                              >

                              > --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "J. Coon" <liteways@t...>
                              > wrote:
                              >
                              >>I am not sure I made myself clear. Here is an example:
                              >>
                              >>A.folder
                              >> Anistasia
                              >> Archy and the toppers
                              >> etc...
                              >>B.folder
                              >> Baker Boys
                              >> Baxter marries the cat off
                              >> Big Brother
                              >>C.folder
                              >> Cathy and kittens
                              >> Charro
                              >> Cher
                              >>D.folder
                              >> Dave and the Bat Boys

                            • James Stewart
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 6, 2003
                                --- "J. Coon" <liteways@...> wrote:
                                > Try this. On a windows machine, set up a folder
                                > containing as many
                                > folders as you can make. That is how many you can
                                > put on the Archos,
                                > since it uses the same folder structure and file
                                > structure as Windows 98, and WIndows 95.

                                Sure this is the spec for FAT32, but that doesn't mean
                                the OS in the JB (either Rockbox or Archos) can
                                navigate that deep or wide before getting a stack
                                overflow or something. I think this is probably a
                                good question.

                                http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                              • jradi
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 6, 2003
                                  Thanks, I didn't want to beat a dead horse, but it's still on my
                                  mind. Can someone confirm that you can at least make a directory
                                  tree that goes 5 levels deep? I've had several MP3 cd players that
                                  could only go 2 folders deep - that's why i'm concerned.

                                  It wasn't a big deal on an mp3 cd player because, hey, you can only
                                  get 700MB's on a disc anyway, but obviously better organization will
                                  be necessary on a 20+ GB drive...

                                  --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, James Stewart
                                  <wartstew@y...> wrote:
                                  > --- "J. Coon" <liteways@t...> wrote:
                                  > > Try this. On a windows machine, set up a folder
                                  > > containing as many
                                  > > folders as you can make. That is how many you can
                                  > > put on the Archos,
                                  > > since it uses the same folder structure and file
                                  > > structure as Windows 98, and WIndows 95.
                                  >
                                  > Sure this is the spec for FAT32, but that doesn't mean
                                  > the OS in the JB (either Rockbox or Archos) can
                                  > navigate that deep or wide before getting a stack
                                  > overflow or something. I think this is probably a
                                  > good question.

                                  > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                                • J. Coon
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 7, 2003
                                    Well, I have mine 4 folders deap and it accesses everything ok.