Re: Confused about the order of songs within a directory

  • Jackie Alan Giuliano PhD <jackie@deeptea
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 2 11:08 PM
      Thank you for your reply! That information was very helpful.

      It seems I am confused about how to get playlists to function on the
      Archos. I used Musicmatch software (full version 7.50.1026) to
      create playlists for all my albums. Then, using Musicmatch's "send
      to portable device" feature, I loaded those playlists onto the
      Archos.

      So, my problem seems to be that I can't get the Archos to recognize
      my playists. I found the "Playlist" option in the Archos menu (it
      isn't even listed or described in my manual!) but I can't figure it
      out. I am sure I am missing something, but this player is anything
      but intuitive. I think I am going to use it for a trip this week and
      then take it back and get something more friendly.

      I worked for NASA for 20 years designing large software systems for
      spacecraft, but this player is leaving me baffled!

      Thanks for any help you can give.

      Jackie

      --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "missingendpoint
      <clayschn@f...>" <clayschn@f...> wrote:
      > --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "Jackie Alan Giuliano
      PhD

    • wideasleep1 <wideasleep1@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 3 2:11 AM
        Hi Jackie-

        <jackie@d...>" <jackie@d...> wrote:
        > Thank you for your reply! That information was very helpful.
        >
        > It seems I am confused about how to get playlists to function on
        the
        > Archos. I used Musicmatch software (full version 7.50.1026) to
        > create playlists for all my albums. Then, using Musicmatch's "send
        > to portable device" feature, I loaded those playlists onto the
        > Archos.

        This is a separate issue from your original post regarding songplay
        order. Hopefully this was resolved by adjusting the settings in MM
        to include the track number when you rip. As the board awakens from
        the weekend, you'll find recommendations like Tag & Rename,etc. to
        fix your existing collection.

        > So, my problem seems to be that I can't get the Archos to
        recognize
        > my playists. I found the "Playlist" option in the Archos menu (it
        > isn't even listed or described in my manual!) but I can't figure
        it
        > out. I am sure I am missing something, but this player is anything
        > but intuitive. I think I am going to use it for a trip this week
        and
        > then take it back and get something more friendly.

        Are your playlists saved in .m3u format(ie highwayrock.m3u), and are
        they viewable on the JB? If you can view them, they're playable. I
        suggest creating a Playlist folder in the JB's root, and dumping the
        playlists there. The playlist function you see on the JB's menu is
        to create a playlist on-the-fly on the JB. Keep in mind several
        points: this JB is really simply an external harddrive, that has the
        capacity to play mp3's with its built-in processor and soundchips.
        This is why it behaves alphabetically and numerically. It really
        can't get much simpler. The problems appear to stem from the use of
        MM as yer software of choice. Any ripper/encoder will work, any
        playlist creator, any synchonizer,utilities,etc. It's truly the most
        versatile player(and recorder, if you had that,too) on the
        market,IMHO.

        > I worked for NASA for 20 years designing large software systems
        for
        > spacecraft, but this player is leaving me baffled!

        You aren't the first!lol...that's why this list has almost 16000
        messages! To get you started on the correct path, you may wish to
        visit our files and links, and the FAQ's at http://shorterlink.com/?
        2XWL9N The FAQ is a tad outdated, but still a very valuable resource
        for newbs. G'Luck!

        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 3 2:14 AM
          --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "wideasleep1
          <wideasleep1@y...>" <wideasleep1@y...> wrote:
          > Hi Jackie-

          Correct shorterlink:(sorry) http://shorterlink.com/?2XWL9N
        • Jose M. Sanchez
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 3 2:52 AM
            Eh, most MP3 "rippers" will auto number the songs into album order for
            you as you rip the album.

            Also MP3 renamers will download album info from the CDDB and
            automatically apply this info to the file names, thereby correctly
            numbering and naming your MP3's without you having to type anything in.

            Check out MusicMatch's ability to do this as well.

            -JMS

            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 3 3:59 AM
              musicmatch downloads info from cddb?
              i use a freeware mp3 tagger to do it, and it works
              pretty well, but i'd like to try another

              --- "Jose M. Sanchez" <opjose@...> escribió:

              > Also MP3 renamers will download album info from the
              > CDDB and
              > automatically apply this info to the file names,
              > thereby correctly
              > numbering and naming your MP3's without you having
              > to type anything in.
              >
              > Check out MusicMatch's ability to do this as well.
              >
              > -JMS

              Yahoo! Móviles
              Personaliza tu móvil con tu logo y melodía favorito
              en http://moviles.yahoo.es
            • Chris Holt
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 3 5:09 AM
                > Thank you for your reply! That information was very helpful.
                >
                > It seems I am confused about how to get playlists to function on the
                > Archos. I used Musicmatch software (full version 7.50.1026) to
                > create playlists for all my albums. Then, using Musicmatch's "send
                > to portable device" feature, I loaded those playlists onto the
                > Archos.
                >
                > So, my problem seems to be that I can't get the Archos to recognize
                > my playists. I found the "Playlist" option in the Archos menu (it
                > isn't even listed or described in my manual!) but I can't figure it
                > out. I am sure I am missing something, but this player is anything
                > but intuitive. I think I am going to use it for a trip this week and
                > then take it back and get something more friendly.

                If they are .M3U playlists, you simply "play" them, exactly as you would an
                MP3 file.
                If you have already tried this and cannot, then I don't know what to tell
                you, except maybe they are corrupted somehow.

                Chris
              • Chris Holt
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 3 5:50 AM
                  Only MMJB "Plus" (I got a reg code for it with my AJBR 20, don't know about
                  other models) has "Supertagging" and in the help file, they claim to connect
                  to their own servers to perform this function.

                  It's a pretty helpful function, especially if you are tagging single tracks
                  and not entire albums.

                  Chris

                  > i use a freeware mp3 tagger to do it, and it works
                  > pretty well, but i'd like to try another
                  >

                  > --- "Jose M. Sanchez" <opjose@...> escribió:
                  >
                  > > Also MP3 renamers will download album info from the
                  > > CDDB and
                  > > automatically apply this info to the file names,
                  > > thereby correctly
                  > > numbering and naming your MP3's without you having
                  > > to type anything in.
                  > >
                  > > Check out MusicMatch's ability to do this as well.
                  > >
                  > > -JMS

                • Jose M. Sanchez
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 3 7:29 AM
                    Highlight a bunch of files in your MM Playlist (on the right).

                    Right click and click on "Super Tagging".

                    You can even add the artwork this way.

                    Note, you may have to "help" it a bit by selecting among various similar
                    entries.

                    -JMS

                  • Aacini <antonioperezayala@prodigy.net.mx>
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 3 11:56 AM
                      I suggest you to read the Quick Reference Guide located in Files
                      section (left side of this Yahoo forum page). It contains many
                      useful tips, like these:

                      "- To set a certain file order insert a track number in the file
                      name, i.e. "01 - First.mp3", "02 - Second.mp3"."

                      "To play the songs in a playlist file just select it and press Play;"

                      It also contains a complete description of how to use the Playlist
                      menu option.

                      <jackie@d...>" <jackie@d...> wrote:
> [...]
                      > be
                      > > used on the archos to play tracks in the desired order,
                      regardless
                      > of
                      > > filename [or directory location for that matter].
                      > >
                      > > Since adding leading numbers is about the only way you can get
                      an
                      > > album to display in the correct order while on the pc, I don't
                      > mind
                      > > having them that way everywhere.
                      > >
                      > > As to your other question, yes, there are players -- usually
                      > players
                      > > which require proprietary software to move mp3's on to the
                      player -
                      > -
                      > > which play tracks in the order of the track numbers in the id3
                      > data,
                      > > and ignoring the filenames. But those players rarely mount as
                    • Jackie Alan Giuliano, Ph.D.
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 3 5:46 PM
                        Hi,

                        Thanks for the tip. I discovered how to do it. If I copy the playlist file
                        for each album into the subdirectory for that album, then the playlist file
                        is the first that comes up and can be directly played. Then I don't have to
                        search through hundreds of files for the playlist. Gee, it would have been
                        great if the manual said that in the first place!

                        My mistake was that I assumed that Musicmatch was copying playlist files
                        along with the songs and it wasn't.

                        Thanks again.

                        Jackie

                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 3 8:00 PM
                          I've always thought it was odd that they would put a driver for a device
                          like the AJB in any media program. Now I know it's not only odd, but
                          misleading to boot.

                          They really should empasize the point that the Archos has the great
                          advantage of mounting just like another hard drive on your computer. No
                          confusion, just drag and drop. It's the reason I'm putting my Nomad IIc up
                          on eBay and getting an NEX IIe.

                          Glad you got it sorted out!

                          Chris

                          > Thanks for the tip. I discovered how to do it. If I copy the playlist file
                          > for each album into the subdirectory for that album, then the playlist
                          file
                          > is the first that comes up and can be directly played. Then I don't have
                          > search through hundreds of files for the playlist. Gee, it would have been
                          > great if the manual said that in the first place!
                          >
                          > My mistake was that I assumed that Musicmatch was copying playlist files
                          > along with the songs and it wasn't.
                          >
                          > Thanks again.
                          >

                          > Jackie
                        • PBready
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 3 11:20 PM
                            In message <00be01c2cbef$34a55d30$2041e40c@c264895a>
                            "Jackie Alan Giuliano, Ph.D." <jackie@...> wrote:

                            > Hi,
                            >
                            > Thanks for the tip. I discovered how to do it. If I copy the playlist file
                            > for each album into the subdirectory for that album, then the playlist file
                            > is the first that comes up and can be directly played. Then I don't have to
                            > search through hundreds of files for the playlist. Gee, it would have been
                            > great if the manual said that in the first place!
                            >
                            > My mistake was that I assumed that Musicmatch was copying playlist files
                            > along with the songs and it wasn't.
                            >
                            > Thanks again.
                            >

                            > Jackie

                            IMO, there's no point in having a playlist for just one album in its own
                            subdirectory as (IIRC) holding play down on the directory itself on the
                            AJBR20 I have plays the contents of the directory. The latest versions of
                            Rockbox firmware have a similar facility to compile playlists on the fly by
                            scanning subdirs.

                            --
                            PBready
                          • Jose M. Sanchez
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 4 4:36 AM
                              I thought all AJB's came with a reg code for MusicMatch?

                              My two AJB6K's did.

                              -JMS

                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 4 4:46 AM
                                Sure, they probably do. I hadn't really checked and didn't want to make
                                assumptions.

                                Chris

                              • missingendpoint <clayschn@fast.net>
                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 4 5:27 AM
                                  --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, PBready <pbready@n...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > IMO, there's no point in having a playlist for just one album in
                                  its own
                                  > subdirectory as (IIRC) holding play down on the directory itself on
                                  the
                                  > AJBR20 I have plays the contents of the directory. The latest
                                  versions of
                                  > Rockbox firmware have a similar facility to compile playlists on
                                  the fly by
                                  > scanning subdirs.
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > PBready

                                  Taking that difficult step of understanding why the question was
                                  asked in the first place, it was suggested as a way to play songs in
                                  the album order without using leading numbers on the file names --
                                  which I don't believe the above will address.
                                • Tom Stangl, VFAQman
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 6 10:32 PM

                                    >Eh, most MP3 "rippers" will auto number the songs into album order for
                                    >you as you rip the album.
                                    >
                                    >Also MP3 renamers will download album info from the CDDB and
                                    >automatically apply this info to the file names, thereby correctly
                                    >numbering and naming your MP3's without you having to type anything in.
                                    >
                                    >Check out MusicMatch's ability to do this as well.

                                    I guess I'm a bit more confused here - why do people find it necessary
                                    to number the tracks?

                                    I have no problem using EAC to rip my CDs and create the simple text
                                    playlist that orders the tracks as they appear on the albums. My 5000
                                    has no problems playing them in that order.

                                    Do people really find M3U files that confusing? Or is it because I
                                    haven't started messing with root playlists that jump among directories?
                                    (That's next, AFTER I get the other 200+ CDs ripped).

                                    --
                                    Tom Stangl
                                    ***http://www.vfaq.com/
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Feb 7 3:31 AM
                                      > I guess I'm a bit more confused here - why do people find it necessary
                                      > to number the tracks?

                                      So they play in album order on the AJB which sorts alpha by filename.

                                      > I have no problem using EAC to rip my CDs and create the simple text
                                      > playlist that orders the tracks as they appear on the albums. My 5000
                                      > has no problems playing them in that order.
                                      >
                                      > Do people really find M3U files that confusing? Or is it because I
                                      > haven't started messing with root playlists that jump among directories?
                                      > (That's next, AFTER I get the other 200+ CDs ripped).

                                      It's quite possible that some people who have no problem with M3U files
                                      ripped many CDs before they 1) had a player like the AJB, or 2) had
                                      knowledge of M3U files and what they could do, or 3) realized that they
                                      could be useful.

                                      Personally, I'm in category 3. :) But I can only think of a couple of albums
                                      where it would matter to me anyway. (Pink Floyd comes to mind. The Wall
                                      would really suck played OoO) :)

                                      As to root playlists that jump directories, I'm having difficulty imagining
                                      a directory structure that would cause an album order based playlist to need
                                      to jump across them. Or were you talking about doing Favorites type
                                      playlists? That's actually pretty easy to do with most player programs.

                                      Chris
                                    • Tom Stangl, VFAQman
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Feb 7 5:39 PM

                                        >Personally, I'm in category 3. :) But I can only think of a couple of albums
                                        >where it would matter to me anyway. (Pink Floyd comes to mind. The Wall
                                        >would really suck played OoO) :)

                                        I prefer listening to most of my albums in order if I'm going to listen
                                        to the entire album.

                                        >As to root playlists that jump directories, I'm having difficulty imagining
                                        >a directory structure that would cause an album order based playlist to need
                                        >to jump across them. Or were you talking about doing Favorites type
                                        >playlists?

                                        Yes, I'll be doing some Favorites. Another thing I am interested in
                                        doing is things like "All Pink Floyd". I don't know if you can nest
                                        playlists, but if you can, it would be nice to have an M3U in the root
                                        for PF that simply listed all the album M3Us, rather than having to list
                                        each individual song in the root M3U.

                                        > That's actually pretty easy to do with most player programs.

                                        Like I said, *after* I finish ripping 200+ more CDs ;-)

                                        --
                                        Tom Stangl
                                        ***http://www.vfaq.com/

                                      • Jackie Alan Giuliano PhD <jackie@deeptea
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Feb 17 7:19 AM
                                          Thank you <wideasleep1@y...> for taking the time to explain some
                                          basics! I really appreciate it. You are right that once I got it
                                          into my head that the Archos is a hard drive first and everything
                                          else second, it does get clearer.

                                          Here is a bit of basics in return for some new folks about
                                          playlists. Now that I see the light, it seems so simple:

                                          A playlist is a text file that simply gives the complete file name
                                          for each song you want to hear in the order you want to hear it. A
                                          song can't be found by the player unless its file name is correct,
                                          so if you have moved around your songs on the Archos to reorganize,
                                          then your playlist won't work unless you change the file names of
                                          the songs listed to reflect their new location.

                                          After I realized this, I plugged in my Jukebox to the USB, opened
                                          Windows Explorer, and edited each playlist file with Wordpad or
                                          Notepad. Using global replace, I quickly changed the names of the
                                          songs listed to reflect their new location on the drive. Now my
                                          playlists work fine.

                                          My problem was contributed to by the Musicmatch software, which
                                          doesn't clearly show you what it is doing behind the scenes. Now
                                          that I understand it better, my future will be brighter.

                                          I also dug out a little Sony electret battery powered condenser
                                          microphone I have had for years and it works beautifully on the FM
                                          20 recorder. I am glad I remembered I had this before spending $50
                                          for the Archos microphone. Don't forget to check your drawers for
                                          any battery powered microphone you may have lying around. It will
                                          work fine.

                                          One more thing: have you bought the little headsets that airlines
                                          are handing out these days? Guess what, they work with anything.
                                          Look closely at the two pronged plug at the end. One prong is on a
                                          hinge and folds back! I carry one of these headsets around with my
                                          Archos in a Loweprow Digital Camera Pouch 20. That camera pouch
                                          works great. It has soft padding inside and a great belt loop with a
                                          very safe velcro closure.

                                          Happy listening!

                                          Jackie

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Feb 19 6:59 PM
                                            I don't know what your problem was in first place, but if it was
                                            that the Jukebox don't plays the playlists created/maintained in the
                                            PC then there is an easier way to correct this problem. The Quick
                                            Reference Guide (in Files section) lists the solution since more
                                            than a year ago! Here are few sections copied from the Guide:

                                            "The Jukebox allows you to program a list of songs that can be
                                            played in order, this list is allocated in the Jukebox memory and it
                                            may be called "Current Playlist". To include a song in this list it
                                            must be selected first, then hold down Play until a plus-sign
                                            appears."

                                            "Other playlists can be stored on disk files with the .M3U
                                            extension. Playlist files are usually created in specific programs
                                            like MusicMatch, but if you use another program be sure that it
                                            writes absolute or fixed file names."

                                            "Notice that the Jukebox ignores the drive unit in the songs' names
                                            included in the playlists; therefore, if the path of the song files
                                            is the same in the Jukebox and the PC you may create your playlists
                                            in the PC with the Jukebox unplugged, and then plug it just to copy
                                            the playlist files. If the Jukebox files comes from a specific PC
                                            subdirectory you may use the MS-DOS command SUBST to match them. For
                                            example, you may create a text file called JUKEBOXDISK.BAT with this
                                            line: SUBST J: C:\DOCUME~1\USERNAME\MYDOCU~1\JUKEBOX and execute it
                                            to create a dummy drive called J: that matches the Jukebox content."

                                            After that you may open the J: drive with Music Match (or any other
                                            program) to create a playlist that plays directly with no
                                            modification on the Jukebox. This is simpler and easier than modify
                                            by hand one or several playlists files.

                                            This solution also avoids precisely to explain and understand low-
                                            level details (like directly modify a playlist .M3U file with a text
                                            editor) that may originate further problems in certain cases.