Re: FM 20 battery problem?

  • lusidone <sean_hatfield@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1 12:43 AM
      --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "bengtritover
      <peter_ennis@h...>" <peter_ennis@h...> wrote:

      > It works fine when plugged into the mains which may suggest a
      > problem with the battery? The battery level indicator goes from
      full to almost nothing when doing simple tasks like changing
      folders.

      > Does anyone have any ideas?
      The short version:
      Repeatedly spinning up the hard drive (by browsing the filesystem)
      pulls the voltage below the cutoff level. This results in the
      device shutting off.

      The rest:
      The drive they chose for the FM20 needs about 1Amp to spin-up when
      the batteries are fully charged. At a full charge they are rated at
      about 2AMP. As the batteries drain the voltage drops, which
      increases the ma's required to spin up the drive. At the same time,
      the max current available from the batteries drops, until it reaches
      the point where the batteries can't put out enough current to spin
      up the drive without the voltage falling too low for the logic board
      to operate.

      If you just let it run playing MP3s non-stop it spins up every
      couple of minutes and will run for 4-6 hours.

      But, when you are browsing folders the drive spins up to read the
      directory, then immediately spins down. As you are browsing folders
      you are repeatedly spinning up the drive, and the repeated 1amp or
      more jolt on the cells pull the voltage down temporarily which
      causes the device to shut off.

      There are really two design problems here:
      1. They should have chosen a drive with a lower spin-up power
      requirement.

      2. They should not let the drive spin down so soon while you are
      browsing folders.

      #1 can be corrected by replacing the drive, which I have done, and
      my continuous playback time has reached 11 hours.

      #2 should be correctable by a firmware update, just don't hold your
      breath.
    • bengtritover <bengtritover@hotmail.com>
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1 3:12 AM
        Thanks for the detailed reply - it makes a lot of sense. You say
        that just leaving the unit to play results in greater endurance - it
        does, but I still only get <2hrs before it cuts out.

        I also notice that the batteries charge very quickly - the unit
        reads 'charged' after about one hour max. Could be that they are
        not in fact charging fully.

        What drive did you install in your unit? As Archos don't look like
        they are going to take my unit back I might try a drive swap.

        --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "lusidone

      • James Stewart
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1 12:38 PM
          --- "lusidone <sean_hatfield@...>"

          #3 Make real sure the battery is charged. It may not
          be even though it says it is. The battery charger
          might since any kind of heating condition and turn off
          the charger. Make sure you ain't39;t trying to charge
          the batteries in a very warm environment. Maybe the
          battery is weak do to a defect in the battery or
          somethinUnfortunatelylely it is an FM20 that uses a
          special battery.

          =====
          Linux is the one competitor Microsoft
          can't buy,
          can't intimidate, and
          can't stop.

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • lusidone <sean_hatfield@hotmail.com>
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2 8:36 AM

            > #3 Make real sure the battery is charged. It may not
            > be even though it says it is. The battery charger
            > might since any kind of heating condition and turn off
            > the charger. Make sure you ain't39;t trying to charge
            > the batteries in a very warm environment. Maybe the
            > battery is weak do to a defect in the battery or
            > somethinUnfortunatelylely it is an FM20 that uses a
            > special battery.

            2hour playback doesn't sound right. Maybe it's not charging
            completely, maybe only 1 cell is working. I'd be wrestling with
            archos support to try & get it resolved first.
          • wideasleep1 <wideasleep1@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 2 12:15 PM
              I agree, sounds like a bad cell...my first JB6K was sold with a bad
              cell and I only got 2-3 hours of playtime with it. Replaced the cells
              and was up to 8-9 hours. Quite a few 6K's had a single bad cell back
              then, at least from the reports here and at funmp3.

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 2 12:19 PM
                Doh! Sorry, I didn't realize we're talkin fm20(so many units
                discussed here nowadays!). If you verify the adapter is supplying the
                proper voltage and still have this problem, you have a faulty cell.
                Exercise your warranty. G'luck!

                --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "wideasleep1