Re: [archosjukebox6000] iRock transmitter

  • C.Joseph Drayton
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2003
      Hi Stephen,

      The process is pretty simple;

      1. Remove battery cover
      2. Remove the three screws that hold the iRock case together
      3. De-solder the read and black leads that go to the battery compartment
      4. Tin the wires on the power supply.
      5. Solder the power supply to the two points on the pc-board where the battery leads had been.
      6. Re-assemble the case and you're done.

      The hardest part of the process was the actual soldering. THe two places where you need to solder are small and very close together. My
      hands are not as steady as they use to be, but I was able to do it with a fine point soldering iron and de-soldering bulb.

      One of the nice things about the way that the iRock is designed is that there is a place through the battery compartment door where you
      can run the wire through. Looking at the final product, it looks like it came out of the factory that way.

      Ciao . . .
      C.Joseph

      ++ Let know man judge me until . . .
      he has walked the road I have . . .
      in the shoes I've worn. ++

      http://kalek1.home.mindspring.com

      Stephen Perry wrote:

      > yes thank you. i was not all that excited about the sound quality of the iroc. is the task of connecting the two a simple project?
    • ce10r
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 10, 2003
        has anyone tried upping the voltage on the irock? I'm guessing it's either going to
        burn out or sound fantastic.
      • James Stewart
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 10, 2003
          Yes, search the archives of this group at around 6
          month ago or so. Someone adapted a DC power adapter
          to one and I believe he ended up increasing the
          voltage a little bit to as well. He posted some
          pictures of this as well. I can't remember what, if
          any the voltage increase was (to 4.5 volts maybe?).
          Anyway, he said that it did in fact sound great.

          --- ce10r <webeditor@...> wrote:
          > has anyone tried upping the voltage on the irock?
          > I'm guessing it's either going to
          > burn out or sound fantastic.

          =====
          Linux is the one competitor Microsoft
          can't buy,
          can't intimidate, and
          can't stop.
          (And SCO doesn't own!)

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 10, 2003
            I was intrigued myself - going to radioshack tonight to see how much
            the power adapter costs...

            --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, James Stewart
            <wartstew@y...> wrote:
            > Yes, search the archives of this group at around 6
            > month ago or so. Someone adapted a DC power adapter
            > to one and I believe he ended up increasing the
            > voltage a little bit to as well. He posted some
            > pictures of this as well. I can't remember what, if
            > any the voltage increase was (to 4.5 volts maybe?).
            > Anyway, he said that it did in fact sound great.
            >
            > --- ce10r <webeditor@g...> wrote:
            > > has anyone tried upping the voltage on the irock?
            > > I'm guessing it's either going to
            > > burn out or sound fantastic.
            > >

            > =====
            > Linux is the one competitor Microsoft
            > can't buy,
            > can't intimidate, and
            > can't stop.
            > (And SCO doesn't own!)

            > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
          • Tom Stangl, VFAQman
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 11, 2003

              >Subject: Re: iRock transmitter
              >
              >I was intrigued myself - going to radioshack tonight to see how much
              >the power adapter costs...

              You can also install a phono plug in the iRock so that it can run off of
              batteries or AC.

              http://www.vfaq.com/iRock/

              --
              Tom Stangl
              ***http://www.vfaq.com/
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 11, 2003
                Wiring the 3vdc adapter is MUCH easier.. just make 100% sure you get
                the polarity right, otherwise you will burn out the frequency
                selector on the Irock (like I did)

                On
                Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Tom Stangl, VFAQman wrote:

                > >Subject: Re: iRock transmitter
                > >
                > >I was intrigued myself - going to radioshack tonight to see how much
                > >the power adapter costs...

                > You can also install a phono plug in the iRock so that it can run off of
                > batteries or AC.
                >
                > http://www.vfaq.com/iRock/
                >
                > --
                > Tom Stangl
                > ***http://www.vfaq.com/
                > ***DSM Visual FAQ home
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                > Click Here!

              • jradi
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 14, 2003
                  I concur, wiring the adapter is much easier, but a bit expensive.
                  Radioshack has the 3vdc adapter for $14 so I decided against it.

                  Then, as luck would have it, I had an old adapter for a cd player
                  sitting in a box - 4.5V instead of 3V. Since I've come to loath my
                  irock (and because I recently ordered that other device mentioned in
                  an earlier post), I decided what the hell - maybe it'd boost the
                  power.

                  I can't say if it's stronger than your 3v version, but MAN DOES IT
                  ROCK NOW! I loves it! Loud, loud, loud. I had it playing all day
                  from noon till about 7pm - kept monitoring the irock for warmth and
                  it seems fine. So far so good... I'm going on a major roadtrip
                  next weekend (assuming the hurricane doesn't dampen things) and I'll
                  let you know if extended use is still fine...

                  -jr
                  (an archos wannabe)

                  --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, Scott Friedman