iRock transmitter

  • C.Joseph Drayton
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2003
      Hi All,

      Over the last couple of months, their have been threads about running their AJ in the car. Some
      people have been satisfied with the sound and other have not been.

      I bought my iRock about three months ago and have mainly been dis-satisfied with the sound. Their
      would be times when it sounded okay, other times their would be radio noise that would drive me
      crazy. Since I only use the iRock on long road trips in rental cars, I just assumed that the
      problems where related to the location I was in at the time. Unfortunately I spend a lot of time on
      the road sometimes driving 10 hours with breaks only for gas.

      About a week ago I was testing my iRock before I started another trip and it sounded awful. I put in
      some new batteries, and it sounded good. Then I said to myself could that be the problem is the
      drifting and sound quality susceptible to the batteries I was using.

      I went to Radio Shack and bought their Lighter Socket 3VDC Power Adapter rated at up to 1000mA
      (part number 273-1855). I wired it into my iRock. The sound quality was immediately apparent. I can
      say after driving to Las Vegas and back that their was no drift or radio noise.

      I did have to lower the volume to 75% and the bass and treble to 0dbs. The sound is just great. I
      have been using a cassette adapter in my truck, and I have to tell you the comparison in sound
      between the iRock and the cassette adapter is like night and day.

      The only thing that you have to be careful of when you wire the adapter in is that the wire with the
      white stripe on it is the negative. If you wire it to the positive, it either doesn't work or can
      burn out your iRock.

      Ciao . . .
      C.Joseph

      ++ Let know man judge me until . . .
      he has walked the road I have . . .
      in the shoes I've worn. ++

      http://kalek1.home.mindspring.com
    • Chris Holt
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2003
        Hey thanks for the tip!

        > Over the last couple of months, their have been threads about running
        their AJ in the car. Some
        > people have been satisfied with the sound and other have not been.

      • Stephen Perry
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2003
          yes thank you. i was not all that excited about the sound quality of the iroc. is the task of connecting the two a simple project?
          > Over the last couple of months, their have been threads about running
          their AJ in the car. Some
          > people have been satisfied with the sound and other have not been.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • C.Joseph Drayton
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2003
            Hi Stephen,

            The process is pretty simple;

            1. Remove battery cover
            2. Remove the three screws that hold the iRock case together
            3. De-solder the read and black leads that go to the battery compartment
            4. Tin the wires on the power supply.
            5. Solder the power supply to the two points on the pc-board where the battery leads had been.
            6. Re-assemble the case and you're done.

            The hardest part of the process was the actual soldering. THe two places where you need to solder are small and very close together. My
            hands are not as steady as they use to be, but I was able to do it with a fine point soldering iron and de-soldering bulb.

            One of the nice things about the way that the iRock is designed is that there is a place through the battery compartment door where you
            can run the wire through. Looking at the final product, it looks like it came out of the factory that way.

            Stephen Perry wrote:

            > yes thank you. i was not all that excited about the sound quality of the iroc. is the task of connecting the two a simple project?
          • ce10r
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 10, 2003
              has anyone tried upping the voltage on the irock? I'm guessing it's either going to
              burn out or sound fantastic.
            • James Stewart
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 10, 2003
                Yes, search the archives of this group at around 6
                month ago or so. Someone adapted a DC power adapter
                to one and I believe he ended up increasing the
                voltage a little bit to as well. He posted some
                pictures of this as well. I can't remember what, if
                any the voltage increase was (to 4.5 volts maybe?).
                Anyway, he said that it did in fact sound great.

                --- ce10r <webeditor@...> wrote:
                > has anyone tried upping the voltage on the irock?
                > I'm guessing it's either going to
                > burn out or sound fantastic.

                =====
                Linux is the one competitor Microsoft
                can't buy,
                can't intimidate, and
                can't stop.
                (And SCO doesn't own!)

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 10, 2003
                  I was intrigued myself - going to radioshack tonight to see how much
                  the power adapter costs...

                  --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, James Stewart
                  <wartstew@y...> wrote:
                  > Yes, search the archives of this group at around 6
                  > month ago or so. Someone adapted a DC power adapter
                  > to one and I believe he ended up increasing the
                  > voltage a little bit to as well. He posted some
                  > pictures of this as well. I can't remember what, if
                  > any the voltage increase was (to 4.5 volts maybe?).
                  > Anyway, he said that it did in fact sound great.
                  >
                  > --- ce10r <webeditor@g...> wrote:
                  > > has anyone tried upping the voltage on the irock?
                  > > I'm guessing it's either going to
                  > > burn out or sound fantastic.
                  > >

                  > =====
                  > Linux is the one competitor Microsoft
                  > can't buy,
                  > can't intimidate, and
                  > can't stop.
                  > (And SCO doesn't own!)

                  > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                • Tom Stangl, VFAQman
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 11, 2003

                    >Subject: Re: iRock transmitter
                    >
                    >I was intrigued myself - going to radioshack tonight to see how much
                    >the power adapter costs...

                    You can also install a phono plug in the iRock so that it can run off of
                    batteries or AC.

                    http://www.vfaq.com/iRock/

                    --
                    Tom Stangl
                    ***http://www.vfaq.com/
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 11, 2003
                      Wiring the 3vdc adapter is MUCH easier.. just make 100% sure you get
                      the polarity right, otherwise you will burn out the frequency
                      selector on the Irock (like I did)

                      On
                      Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Tom Stangl, VFAQman wrote:

                      > >Subject: Re: iRock transmitter
                      > >
                      > >I was intrigued myself - going to radioshack tonight to see how much
                      > >the power adapter costs...

                      > You can also install a phono plug in the iRock so that it can run off of
                      > batteries or AC.
                      >
                      > http://www.vfaq.com/iRock/
                      >
                      > --
                      > Tom Stangl
                      > ***http://www.vfaq.com/
                      > ***DSM Visual FAQ home
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                      > Click Here!

                    • jradi
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 14, 2003
                        I concur, wiring the adapter is much easier, but a bit expensive.
                        Radioshack has the 3vdc adapter for $14 so I decided against it.

                        Then, as luck would have it, I had an old adapter for a cd player
                        sitting in a box - 4.5V instead of 3V. Since I've come to loath my
                        irock (and because I recently ordered that other device mentioned in
                        an earlier post), I decided what the hell - maybe it'd boost the
                        power.

                        I can't say if it's stronger than your 3v version, but MAN DOES IT
                        ROCK NOW! I loves it! Loud, loud, loud. I had it playing all day
                        from noon till about 7pm - kept monitoring the irock for warmth and
                        it seems fine. So far so good... I'm going on a major roadtrip
                        next weekend (assuming the hurricane doesn't dampen things) and I'll
                        let you know if extended use is still fine...

                        -jr
                        (an archos wannabe)

                        --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, Scott Friedman