rockbox playlist controls shuffling ?

  • Radke, Sven
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 7 5:33 PM
      I luv the option to listen _all_ my tunes randomly

      but I'd like to listen my albums in right order, too

      I have only whole albums, hate lose tracks

      so I'd like to have something in the rockbox firmware what controls
      shuffling or not

      I'm too lazy to go in the menu to switch shuffle on or off :-)

      quick brainstorming:

      playlist's name tells if shuffling those tunes or not

      like all_the_tunes[s].m3u

      so everyone can make playlists what plays in order or not

      and we are still compatible

      hope u like the idea
      cheers,
      Sven
    • C.Joseph Drayton
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 7 6:21 PM
        Hi Björn,

        I have begun using my two AJBs as a DJ system. I have tried using playlist, and they are two slow
        when I am trying to search for particular songs.

        I also use my AJBS20 as I move around during the day. Loading a playlist simply takes to long.

        Ciao . . .
        C.Joseph

        ++ Let know man judge me until . . .
        he has walked the road I have . . .
        in the shoes I've worn. ++

        http://kalek1.home.mindspring.com

        Björn Stenberg wrote:

        > C.Joseph Drayton wrote:
        > > I need at least 500 files per directory.
        >
        > Would you mind telling me why?
        >
        > --
        > Björn Stenberg
        > Rockbox - Open Source Jukebox Firmware - http://rockbox.haxx.se
      • missingendpoint
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 7 7:32 PM
          --- In archosjukebox6000@y..., "C.Joseph Drayton" <kalek1@m...> wrote:
          > Hi Björn,
          >
          > I have begun using my two AJBs as a DJ system. I have tried using
          playlist, and they are two slow
          > when I am trying to search for particular songs.
          >
          > I also use my AJBS20 as I move around during the day. Loading a
          playlist simply takes to long.

          > Ciao . . .
          > C.Joseph

          How in the world is scrolling through 500+ names in a single
          directory just to find a single cut faster than organizing them in
          some sensible hierarchy -- say, with an alphabetical directory
          structure?

          [And fwiw, loading a playlist in rockbox is virtually instantaneous --
          hardly 'takes to[o] long' by anyone's watch...]

          I'm totally confused by your comments.
        • adiamas
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 7 9:24 PM
            I would _love_ to hear your definition of _slow_

            The playlists on Rockbox load at appx 1000 songs per second or so...

            I highly doubt any dj is that fast

            As far as finding a file. with 500+ in a directory.. i can understand
            it taking you a while.

            Sounds like you need a bit more organization, not better software.

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 7 9:27 PM
              Okay, just so I get you. Since you are to lazy to shuffle the files
              (or even use the shift shortcuts), I would need to rename all my
              playlists that I want shuffled to have a [s]?

              Well.. what if I want a playlist shuffled sometimes, and other times
              no. Would it make sense to have two playlists or would you just
              default to using the keys again?

              Just curious...

              /Adi

              --- In archosjukebox6000@y..., "Radke, Sven" <Sven.Radke@g...> wrote:
              > I luv the option to listen _all_ my tunes randomly
              >
              > but I'd like to listen my albums in right order, too
              >
              > I have only whole albums, hate lose tracks
              >
              > so I'd like to have something in the rockbox firmware what controls
              > shuffling or not
              >
              > I'm too lazy to go in the menu to switch shuffle on or off :-)
              >
              > quick brainstorming:
              >
              > playlist's name tells if shuffling those tunes or not
              >
              > like all_the_tunes[s].m3u
              >
              > so everyone can make playlists what plays in order or not
              >
              > and we are still compatible
              >

              > hope u like the idea
              > cheers,
              > Sven
            • Radke, Sven
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 8 3:35 AM
                At 4:27 Uhr +0000 08.09.2002, adiamas wrote:
                >Okay, just so I get you. Since you are to lazy to shuffle the files
                >(or even use the shift shortcuts), I would need to rename all my
                >playlists that I want shuffled to have a [s]?
                >
                >Well.. what if I want a playlist shuffled sometimes, and other times
                >no. Would it make sense to have two playlists or would you just
                >default to using the keys again?

                that's a point - but manually switching shuffle on or off in the menu
                can override the [s] tag

                or - much more simple - just have an option for seting up play mode
                each for playlists and folder playing (what I hope that it will play
                subfolders content in the future)

                cheers,
                Sven
              • Radke, Sven
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 8 3:41 AM

                  > > I also use my AJBS20 as I move around during the day. Loading a
                  >playlist simply takes to long.

                  with the archos firmware, I'd think u better watch again with rockbox 1.3

                  I have 6 gigs in my playlist (for shuffle all the tunes) and it takes
                  about 1 second to load

                  with archos 5.03 firmware it takes about a minute or so

                  hth,
                  Sven

                  think hierachical
                • C.Joseph Drayton
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 8 8:47 AM
                    Hi MissingEndPoint,

                    To answer your question, I customized my ID3 tags to sort the files the way I tend to access them.

                    As to playlist, I have to admit, I have not tried them under Rockbox. I will try that this
                    afternoon, and let you know what I think of the load speed. I didn't think there would be a
                    difference since I thought the slowdown was due to verifying that the file was on the drive.

                    missingendpoint wrote:

                    > How in the world is scrolling through 500+ names in a single
                    > directory just to find a single cut faster than organizing them in
                    > some sensible hierarchy -- say, with an alphabetical directory
                    > structure?
                    >
                    > [And fwiw, loading a playlist in rockbox is virtually instantaneous --
                    > hardly 'takes to[o] long' by anyone's watch...]
                    >
                    > I'm totally confused by your comments.
                  • Björn Stenberg
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 8 9:07 AM
                      C.Joseph Drayton wrote:
                      > I also use my AJBS20 as I move around during the day.

                      You have obviously not tried playlists with Rockbox. It loads playlists at over 1000 songs/sec.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 8 10:46 AM
                        --- In archosjukebox6000@y..., "C.Joseph Drayton" <kalek1@m...> wrote:
                        > Hi MissingEndPoint,
                        >
                        > To answer your question, I customized my ID3 tags to sort the files
                        the way I tend to access them.

                        And in a directory with 500+ files, you would get to, say the 250th
                        one how?

                        [that was the original issue -- 500+ files in one directory]
                      • C.Joseph Drayton
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 8 3:36 PM
                          Hi Björn,

                          I tried the playlist, and it works perfectly. It loads 450 songs so fast I doubt that I could work a
                          stop watch fast enough to time it.

                          Now that I have that problem solved, I will pick up a couple of AJBS20s and build a casket for them.

                          Björn, your firmware is excellent!! Thanks for a very good job. If you have a favorite charity, let
                          me know and I will make a donation to them in your name.