What the heck IS Rockbox?

  • beebles
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 27, 2002
      I've been reading about RockBox on this list and have no idea what it is.

      I went to the web page and pulled up the FAQ and this is what I saw:

      -----------
      What is Rockbox? What is it's purpose?

      The purpose of this project is to write an Open Source replacement firmware for the Archos Jukebox 6000, Studio 20 and Recorder MP3 players.

      --------------

      Now, you can call me stupid but I have no idea what that means.   Us non-technical folks buy JBs too! :)

      Is there anywhere that explains to non-technical folks what Rockbox does and step by step instructions on getting it on my Archos.  I'd like to try it out if it makes the JB better in some way but need the simpleton's instructions on how to do it.

      TIA

      cle

    • rockboxroxx
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 27, 2002
        --- In archosjukebox6000@y..., "beebles" <beebles@n...> wrote:

        > I've been reading about RockBox on this list and have no idea what
        it is.

        It is a replacement software for your Archos Jukebox. Firmware is what
        the built-in software is usually called. The computer program inside
        your little box.

        You do know you can upgrade your Archos to a later version of the
        software? You can do that by skipping over to Archos' site and
        download their latest version.

        Or you can get over to the rebel forces over at rockbox.haxx.se and
        download Rockbox.

        It's like replacing any software. Install rockbox and it'll run
        instead of the Archos firmware.

        And it's fun!
      • webbot
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 27, 2002
          Do you have to un-install the Archos firmware first or does RockBox
          overwrite/replace it automatically?..--Phyllis

          rockboxroxx wrote:

          > --- In archosjukebox6000@y..., "beebles" <beebles@n...> wrote:
          >
          > > I've been reading about RockBox on this list and have no idea what
          > it is.
          >
          > It is a replacement software for your Archos Jukebox. Firmware is what
          > the built-in software is usually called. The computer program inside
          > your little box.
          >
          > You do know you can upgrade your Archos to a later version of the
          > software? You can do that by skipping over to Archos' site and
          > download their latest version.
          >
          > Or you can get over to the rebel forces over at rockbox.haxx.se and
          > download Rockbox.
          >
          > It's like replacing any software. Install rockbox and it'll run
          > instead of the Archos firmware.
          >
          > And it's fun!

        • beebles
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 27, 2002
            > You do know you can upgrade your Archos to a later version of
            the
            > software? You can do that by skipping over to Archos' site
            and
            > download their latest version.
            >
            > Or you can get over
            to the rebel forces over at rockbox.haxx.se and
            > download
            Rockbox.

            > It's like replacing any software. Install rockbox and
            it'll run
            > instead of the Archos firmware.
            >
            > And it's
            fun!

            I'm sure it is fun, however, I just went to the RockBox site, downloaded the Recorder version (I have a Recorder 20) and now have the Rockbox software on my desktop.  I plugged in the Recorder 20 and all I can see on the JB drive are the folders of music I made.  I have no idea where to look for this file that I'm supposed to remove and replace with the Rockbox file.

          • bgluckma
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 27, 2002
              If your JB only has the factory-installed firmware (you haven't
              downloaded any newer firmware from Archos), you download Rockbox and
              rename the file ARCHOS.MOD and place it in your JB's root directory.

              If you have already downloaded newer firmware, you can either delete
              the firmware you are currently using or rename it to something else.
              When you download Rockbox's firmware, simply rename it to ARCHOS.MOD
              and place it in your JB's root directory. Only one ARCHOS.MOD
              firmware file can be loaded in your JB's root directory, so that is
              why you must rename or delete any firmware that already exists in
              your JB's root directory.

              In either of the above cases, when you re-start your jukebox, you
              will see the factory-installed firmware version number and then you
              will see Rockbox! on the screen, showing that your JB is running the
              Rockbox firmware. Enjoy!

              --- In archosjukebox6000@y..., webbot <webbot@s...> wrote:
              > Do you have to un-install the Archos firmware first or does RockBox
              > overwrite/replace it automatically?..--Phyllis
              >
              > rockboxroxx wrote:
              >
              > > --- In archosjukebox6000@y..., "beebles" <beebles@n...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > I've been reading about RockBox on this list and have no idea
              what
              > > it is.
              > >
              > > It is a replacement software for your Archos Jukebox. Firmware is
              what
              > > the built-in software is usually called. The computer program
              inside
              > > your little box.
              > >
              > > You do know you can upgrade your Archos to a later version of the
              > > software? You can do that by skipping over to Archos' site and
              > > download their latest version.
              > >
              > > Or you can get over to the rebel forces over at rockbox.haxx.se
              and
              > > download Rockbox.
              > >
              > > It's like replacing any software. Install rockbox and it'll run
              > > instead of the Archos firmware.
              > >
              > > And it's fun!

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • bgluckma
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 27, 2002
                Please follow the instructions/information that I just posted on an
                earlier note. You will need to rename the download file to
                ARCHOS.MOD and drag/drop the file into the root directory of your JB.

                Regards,

                Ben