Re: Is Sound Professional's Pre-Amp the only way?

  • fksiegmund
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 19, 2002
      You can build yourself a really cheap amplifier buy using a walkman
      (e.g. I bought a new one for just $8 at Argos in the UK) and do a
      little bit of soldering:

      - open the walkman and look for the circuit board, phone output
      connector, motor cable and magnetic head cable.

      - solder off the magnetic head cable from the board (remember which is
      ground, left and right channel).

      - use the head phone output for your mic input by scratching of the
      connections on the circuit board and connect the magnetic head cable to
      it. You might need to put resistors in between to reduce the input
      voltage to the amplifier. Be sure you connect the ground wire to ground
      on the connector (often the pin that is solderded to a larger copper
      surface).

      - cut of the head phones from the cable and solder the cable to the
      phone output, which you scratched off before from the phone output
      connector.

      - cut off the wires to the motor.

      - close the walkman.

      If you press play, the amplifier is switched on. Use the volume to
      control sensitity. Works great for me. And I can use even my stereo
      mic. A more expensive walkman will give you a better noise-to-signal spec.