Rockbox Battery Question?

  • Peter Hooper
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 14, 2002
      Hi all,

      I've been using the latest version of Rockbox for the past few days (GREAT job guys!!) and was just wondering whether it uses more juice than the Archos firmware. It might be my imagination but it just seems that the battery meter drops a lot quicker now, especially the first 30% or so.

      The only part of the Archos firmware that I am missing so far is the HOLD feature, that was something I found very useful as I find it too easy to knock the buttons and inadvertently change track or something without it.

      Just curious about the battery thing anyway..

      Regards

      Peter
    • John Vickers
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 14, 2002
        Message
        I formed the same impression about the battery life.

        Anyone else?

        John

        Hi all,

        I've been using the latest version of Rockbox for the past few days (GREAT job guys!!) and was just wondering whether it uses more juice than the Archos firmware. It might be my imagination but it just seems that the battery meter drops a lot quicker now, especially the first 30% or so.

        The only part of the Archos firmware that I am missing so far is the HOLD feature, that was something I found very useful as I find it too easy to knock the buttons and inadvertently change track or something without it.

        Just curious about the battery thing anyway..

        Regards

        Peter

      • James Stewart
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 14, 2002
          Does it really have shorter life or does the battery
          meter have different behavior? I guess someone needs
          to do a scientific study. Perhaps some user tweakable
          hard drive spin up/down settings are in order.

          BTW Bjorn posted a while back that the "Hold" feature
          on Rockbox is the "Menu + Stop" combination on the JB,
          probably something similar on the recorders.

          --- John Vickers <johnvick@...> wrote:
          > I formed the same impression about the battery life.
          >

          > Anyone else?
          >
          > John
          >

          > Hi all,
          >
          > I've been using the latest version of Rockbox for
          > the past few days
          > (GREAT job guys!!) and was just wondering whether it
          > uses more juice
          > than the Archos firmware. It might be my imagination
          > but it just seems
          > that the battery meter drops a lot quicker now,
          > especially the first 30%
          > or so.
          >
          > The only part of the Archos firmware that I am
          > missing so far is the
          > HOLD feature, that was something I found very useful
          > as I find it too
          > easy to knock the buttons and inadvertently change
          > track or something
          > without it.
          >
          > Just curious about the battery thing anyway..
          >
          > Regards
          >
          > Peter

          =====
          Linux is the one competitor Microsoft
          can't buy,
          can't intimidate, and
          can't stop.

          HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
          http://www.hotjobs.com
        • rockboxroxx
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 15, 2002
            --- In archosjukebox6000@y..., wrote:

            > I've been using the latest version of Rockbox for the past few days
            > (GREAT job guys!!) and was just wondering whether it uses more juice
            > than the Archos firmware. It might be my imagination but it just
            > seems that the battery meter drops a lot quicker now, especially
            > the first 30% or so.

            The battery charging code is still rather early and has developed
            quite a bit since 1.2, there may still be some flaws left that makes
            it charge the batteries slightly less when running Rockbox.

            Also, Rockbox does indeed drain the batteries slightly faster than the
            stock firmware as of now. That is a high prio work for the group to
            fix. Feel free to join in and help here.

            Also, the battery meter in the Rockbox displays voltate percent, not
            battery time percent...

            > The only part of the Archos firmware that I am missing so far is the
            > HOLD feature

            You should try the manual. We're really proud to have one so it would
            be cool if someone actually used it! ;-)

            http://rockbox.haxx.se/ - Archos firmware done right.
          • Peter Hooper
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 15, 2002
              Well, I am pretty sure it is much shorter. I was previously getting 10+ hours on one charge but nowhere near that now I don't think.

              I'll fully charge again tonight and let you know how long I do get.

              Peter

              =====

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 15, 2002
                *embarrassed look on face*

                Yeah sorry, somebody else pointed that out to me :S I now know how to lock the keys!!

                Peter

                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 19, 2002
                  Hi all,

                  Well, I've finally managed to check things out on the battery front and I can confirm that with the same set of batteries I got 8 hours and 15 minutes of time out of the batteries whilst using the RockBox 1.2 firmawre as opposed to 10 hours and 30 minutes with the Archos firmware (1.26). So it's a fairly big difference as you can see. It wasn't a particular scientific test I just had my stopwatch running all the time the Jukebox was running, I kept the usage as much the same as possible to try to keep the results balanced.

                  Anyone else finding similar drop-off in battery performance?

                  Peter

                  =====
                  Linux is the one competitor Microsoft
                  can't buy,
                  can't intimidate, and
                  can't stop.

                • Chris Houghten
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 19, 2002
                    I also am getting less time than with archos firmware, but 8 hrs is still quite nice. I am sure they will find more places to conserve energy as time goes on.

                    =====

                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 19, 2002
                      Yea, in the daily build's changelogs, I keep seeing
                      entries that say things like "...recovered 128k of
                      buffer space". It is stuff like this that will
                      improve battery life. I wonder if the latest daily
                      build is much better?

                      =====

                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 21, 2002
                        Well Itried out the daily build from the 19th and got 8 hours and 16 minutes of playtime so much the same as before. I am currently back with the Archos firmware to check that out again for battery life.

                        Peter

                        =====
                        Linux is the one competitor Microsoft
                        can't buy,
                        can't intimidate, and
                        can't stop.

                      • raichea
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 21, 2002
                          Battery life must be mainly influenced by disk activity. Even the
                          backlight would be negligible compared to the disk. The firmware must
                          optimise the total amount of charge (not current) taken out of the
                          batteries over time. Buffer size and disk performance will influence
                          the number of spin ups, the total on-time, and the total off-time,
                          over a given period.

                          The Rockbox guys will no doubt know how the regular firmware does its
                          stuff - I imagine not based on times, but rather on buffer content
                          levels - but there may be other constraints that prevent them
                          matching the life achieved by the standard firmware.

                          Steve.

                          --- In archosjukebox6000@y..., "Peter Hooper" <hammerpgh@b...> wrote:
                          > Well Itried out the daily build from the 19th and got 8 hours and
                          16 minutes of playtime so much the same as before. I am currently
                          back with the Archos firmware to check that out again for battery
                          life.

                          > Peter

                        • Peter Hooper
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 22, 2002
                            OK sorry to bore you guiys witht his but I just finished my final test on the battery life of the Archos vs Rockbox and the 2nd test on the Archos firmware again gave me 10+ hours... 10 hours and 19 minutes to be precise so it's still about a 2 hour improvement on what the Rockbox can give at the moment.

                            Just thought I would passs this on again.

                            Peter

                            =====
                            Linux is the one competitor Microsoft
                            can't buy,
                            can't intimidate, and
                            can't stop.

                          • Björn Stenberg
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 23, 2002
                              Peter Hooper wrote:
                              > OK sorry to bore you guiys witht his but I just finished my final test on
                              > the battery life of the Archos vs Rockbox and the 2nd test on the Archos
                              > firmware again gave me 10+ hours... 10 hours and 19 minutes to be precise
                              > so it's still about a 2 hour improvement on what the Rockbox can give at
                              > the moment.

                              Try again today. We found a way to shave ~35mA off the power usage, so we now use less power than the stock firmware.

                              Add to that tests showing Rockbox provides around 15% more mp3 buffer space (i.e. uses less space for code and internal data) and it sounds like we should now have a fair chance to outperform the stock firmware.

                              (And there's still a few tricks up our sleeves that we haven't used yet.)

                              --
                              Björn Stenberg
                              Rockbox - Open Source Jukebox Firmware - http://rockbox.haxx.se
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 23, 2002
                                Bjorn,

                                You guys ROCK!

                                Brian Fenner
                                White Bear Lake, Minnesota

                                --- In archosjukebox6000@y..., Björn Stenberg <bjorn@h...> wrote:
                                > Peter Hooper wrote:
                                > > OK sorry to bore you guiys witht his but I just finished my
                                final test on
                                > > the battery life of the Archos vs Rockbox and the 2nd test on
                                the Archos
                                > > firmware again gave me 10+ hours... 10 hours and 19 minutes to
                                be precise
                                > > so it's still about a 2 hour improvement on what the Rockbox can
                                give at
                                > > the moment.
                                >
                                > Try again today. We found a way to shave ~35mA off the power
                                usage, so we now use less power than the stock firmware.

                                > Add to that tests showing Rockbox provides around 15% more mp3
                                buffer space (i.e. uses less space for code and internal data) and
                                it sounds like we should now have a fair chance to outperform the
                                stock firmware.

                                > (And there's still a few tricks up our sleeves that we haven't
                                used yet.)

                                > --
                                > Björn Stenberg
                                > Rockbox - Open Source Jukebox Firmware - http://rockbox.haxx.se
                              • lberube
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 23, 2002
                                  wow thats great but..i better get this on my jb6 before there is a charge for it.......its that good that id pay for something like this..
                                  good job!!!
                                  > OK sorry to bore you guiys witht his but I just finished my final test on
                                  > the battery life of the Archos vs Rockbox and the 2nd test on the Archos
                                  > firmware again gave me 10+ hours... 10 hours and 19 minutes to be precise
                                  > so it's still about a 2 hour improvement on what the Rockbox can give at
                                  > the moment.

                                  Try again today. We found a way to shave ~35mA off the power usage, so we now use less power than the stock firmware.

                                  Add to that tests showing Rockbox provides around 15% more mp3 buffer space (i.e. uses less space for code and internal data) and it sounds like we should now have a fair chance to outperform the stock firmware.

                                  (And there's still a few tricks up our sleeves that we haven't used yet.)

                                  --
                                  Björn Stenberg
                                  Rockbox - Open Source Jukebox Firmware - http://rockbox.haxx.se

                                  ---
                                • Binder, David
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 23, 2002
                                    Hey, don't give 'em any ideas! ;-)
                                    wow thats great but..i better get this on my jb6 before there is a charge for it.......its that good that id pay for something like this..
                                    good job!!!
                                    > OK sorry to bore you guiys witht his but I just finished my final test on
                                    > the battery life of the Archos vs Rockbox and the 2nd test on the Archos
                                    > firmware again gave me 10+ hours... 10 hours and 19 minutes to be precise
                                    > so it's still about a 2 hour improvement on what the Rockbox can give at
                                    > the moment.

                                    Try again today. We found a way to shave ~35mA off the power usage, so we now use less power than the stock firmware.

                                    Add to that tests showing Rockbox provides around 15% more mp3 buffer space (i.e. uses less space for code and internal data) and it sounds like we should now have a fair chance to outperform the stock firmware.

                                    (And there's still a few tricks up our sleeves that we haven't used yet.)

                                    --
                                    Björn Stenberg
                                    Rockbox - Open Source Jukebox Firmware - http://rockbox.haxx.se

                                    ---

                                  • webbot
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 23, 2002
                                      I only use my archos studio20  for books..would there be any advantage for me to install RockBox?
                                      --Phyllis

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 24, 2002
                                        Yes, especially now, (latest daily builds). You can
                                        power up and resume your book from anywhere inside the
                                        sound file. How do book listeners get along without
                                        this feature?

                                        http://finance.yahoo.com
                                      • webbot
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Aug 24, 2002
                                          It is tough, believe me..:(..How do I go about it without making big boo
                                          boos?
                                          --Phyllis