Re: [archosjukebox6000] Firmware update ver 4.12a didn't work for me yet.

  • Lee Berube
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 2, 2001
      OK SO HERES WHAT I HAVE GATHERED SO FAR...MY 3.18 IS LOWER THEN THE 321B OR
      WHATEVER MEANING THE 321B IS AN UPGRADE....NOW FOR THE 4.XX USERS...THIS NEW
      UPGRADE THAT ARCHOS HAS OUT IS FOR THEM...NOT THE 3.XX USERS.

      NOW WHY CANT WE GET ALL THE VERSIONS TOGETHER...DISTRIBUTE THEM AMONGST THE
      NEWSGROUPE SO EVERYBODY IS ON THE SAME LEVEL...THATWAY WE WILL ALL OF GONE
      FROM 3.18 UP TO THE NEWEST UPGRADE.

      OF COURSE THIS ONLY REFERS TO PEOPLE LIKE MYSELF WHO HAD RECIEVED THERES
      WITH THE 3.18 VERSION IN IT.

      SORRY FOR THE CAPS..DIDNT NOTICE....

      ANY SUGGESTIONS?????

      LEE
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 2, 2001
        tell us how you like the upgrade and if anything is different..

        Lee
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 2, 2001

          <adam_deaves@y...> wrote:
          > Me too.
          >
          > I've tried the upgrade about 10 times and it still says 4.09 and i
          > don't have the hold feature.
          >
          > i noticed that it copied the archos.mod file back to the unit, and
          it
          > turns out it has the exact same CRC checksum as the ajb6000_412a.ajz
          > file does, so i think all the update tool does it copy this file to
          > the root of your jukebox drive and rename it. i guess the unit
          reads
          > this file each time you boot it up? or at least once in a while?
          > how do you tell the until to read this new firmware version?
          >
          > Also, when i do my update it says "completed" right away. There is
          > almost no delay. (not enough time to write to a flash rom)
          >
          > anyone else having problmes?
          >
          > --- In archosjukebox6000@egroups.com, "Jason Carreira" <jason@z...>
          > wrote:
          > > Still 4.09

        • Vladimir Pantelic
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 2, 2001
            Lee Berube wrote:

            > well i just installed the upgrade and the improvement in sound alone is
            > great....now as long as it doesnt skip ill be perfectly satisfied with my
            > purchase!!!
            >
            > anybody have any opinions on the upgrade yet?? mine does still say 3.18 when
            > you turn it on but hey!! if it works thats what counts...

            The 3.18 is the version of the original firmware in the player,
            but as there is a newer version present on the drive, the unit
            loads this (actually the new version number is shown in the
            display but too short to see it )

            Regards,

            Vladimir
          • Jason Carreira
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 3, 2001
              I can confirm that it doesn't work on Win2000, but when I did it with a
              co-workers win98SE, it worked! Hooray for a working eq!

            • alppu@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 3, 2001
                I upgraded from 4.09 to 4.12a using WIN 2000 SP1 and it worked fine.

                Now the major problem is skipping couple of seconds once in a while.
                One time it played the same track twice.

                I haven't noticed display freeze, total black out or loop problem
                after the upgrade.

                Jari
              • Nick
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 3, 2001
                  Just FYI,

                  I upgraded last night to 4.12 from 3.18 on a machine running windoze
                  2grand. I rebooted when the install program asked me to, instead of doing
                  it later. When it came back, I ran the upgrade program, and everything
                  worked beautifully. Oh yeah, before I installed 4.12, I had copied the
                  4.09 file which replaced the 3.21b file on the 6000...

                  -Nick

                • dave thayer
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 5, 2001
                    wrote:
                    > Me too.
                    >
                    > I've tried the upgrade about 10 times and it still says 4.09 and i
                    > don't have the hold feature.

                    Is this when it first boots or when you go into the menu and select
                    "firmware". The bootup screen always shows the un-upgraded version.

                    > Also, when i do my update it says "completed" right away. There is
                    > almost no delay. (not enough time to write to a flash rom)

                    I don't think the AJB uses flash rom. Someone earlier on this list
                    (or maybe mp3.com) posted that the firmware reported went from 3.21b
                    back to 3.18 when they took out the archos.mod file. A flashed
                    upgrade shouldnt do that. IIRC flash is currently in short supply and
                    fairly expensive, so the Archos engineers may be implmenting upgrades
                    as ram-resident patches rather than flash updates. I believe that
                    this is also how Handspring designed their PDAs.

                    your pal dave