Re: any firmware hackers?

  • rich_olson@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2001
      I've already determined that archos .mod's use a checksum. if the
      checksum isn't good - it'll revert to the firmware it shipped with.
      if you make any changes - you'll have to work around it. I've
      succesfully "hacked" a .mod - but haven't been able to change
      anything useful.

      --- In archosjukebox6000@y..., "Lee Berube" <lberube@t...> wrote:
      > im looking at a neo firmware coedec right now that i downloaded and
      opened with word pad. isnt there a way that you computer guys out
      there that understand this sort of thing can open the firmware mod.
      of the archos and make usable changes to test different things like
      read ahead memory ----and skipping problem ---timer--hard disk error
      etc.
    • jeff@hossified.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2001
        What did you use to "hack" or edit the .mod file?

      • rich_olson@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 8, 2001
          I used a hex-editor called "hex" - there's any number of ones that'll
          work (not that I have a clue as how to hack the mod in a useful way).

        • Bak0860c@westminster.org.uk
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 9, 2001
            --- In archosjukebox6000@y..., rich_olson@y... wrote:
            > I used a hex-editor called "hex" - there's any number of ones
            that'll
            > work (not that I have a clue as how to hack the mod in a useful
            way).

            If anyone knows what CPU the archos is using, it shouldn't be too
            hard to disassemble the firmware. Of course, making any useful
            changes would be a much harder task...