Attack Archive: Please suggest sites

  • Brewster Kahle
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 16, 2001
      Please help build a Web Archive of the Sept 11 Attack

      The Internet Archive in collaboration with Alexa Internet, and SUNY, Library of Congress and UWashington is archiving pages and sites relating to the terrorist attacks in the NY and DC. Where we are archiving sites and pages all the time, we are concentrating the crawlers to make sure there is a solid historical record of this time.

      If you would like to help, we can build a better archive. Here is how you can help:

      Suggest sites and pages to archive:

      * This can be done by sending URL's to attackarchive@...
      (this is a list of the crawl engineers at Alexa and the researchers at SUNY and UW)

      * Surf with the free Alexa Toolbar on. Every night new sites and pages are discovered by
      processing the day's usage logs from the Alexa Toolbar. These are sanitized to eliminate cgi and other URL's that might contain personal information and then those sites are crawled for the archive.

      Help build a page in mid-October that will help guide people through relevant materials. This could be similar to the Election 2000 webpage (http://archive.alexa.com), or something else completely. We would like to make this public at the end of October or early November.

      Datamine the web archive to find past pages and sites that might be relevant. This takes programming skill and will be more difficult for Alexa to support, but if you are interested, please write a proposal in the web section of the www.archive.org site.

      Thank you. Please repost, but don't spam.

      -brewster
      Director, Internet Archive
    • Steven M. Schneider
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 17, 2001
        Web Archive of the Sept 11 Attack - Update
        ---

        The Internet Archive in collaboration with Alexa Internet, and SUNY, Library
        of Congress and UWashington is archiving pages and sites relating to the
        terrorist attacks in the NY and DC.

        We'd like to draw your attention to some tools just developed that
        facilitate this very important work: we have very quickly put together a
        *very simple* site with some easy-to-use tools: http://webarchivist.org.

        If you're interested, visit http://www.webarchivist.org, and follow the
        (hopefully) simple directions. What we ask is that you click on a special
        link (that you install on your browser) whenever you visit a site that you
        think should be archived. Clicking on the link alerts our system to archive
        that site that day.

        If you're up for it, you can also get a tool that allows you to fill out a
        3-question "site coding sheet", identifying the type of site producer, the
        kinds of activities available on the site, and an open-ended assessment of
        the site.

        Of course, if you'd rather, continue to send lists of links to
        attackarchive@....

        And, please, any comments or suggestions on how to identify relevant
        sites -- send them along!

        Thanks,

        Steve Schneider (SUNY Institute of Technology) - steve@...
        Kirsten Foot (U of Washington) - kfoot@...