Please help archive the Katrina disaster

  • Brewster Kahle
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2005
      The Internet Archive, a non-profit digital library, needs help in
      finding URL's of sites and blogs that contain documents of this major
      disaster.

      Please email links to sites and pages that should be saved for future
      research to katrina@....

      We have worked to archive events such as 9/11 and the tsunami with
      the generous help of volunteers finding and sending in links. We
      then save these digital works for the long term and create research
      tools (for example: http://www.loc.gov/minerva/collect/sept11/
      index.html and http://web.archive.org ). As a library, we provide
      free access to those wanting to learn from these events-- we can only
      hope that we learn some lessons from disasters such as these.

      Again, please send email to katrina@... with lists of URL's
      you suggest should be archived relevant to the Katrina Disaster.

      We are also looking for a couple of volunteers that can help
      orchestrate the crawl. If you are interested, please send a note to
      katrina@... with "volunteer" in the subject line.

      Please forward this message to any appropriate lists or people.

      Thank you.

      -Brewster Kahle
      Digital Librarian
      Internet Archive
    • John A. Kunze
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 6, 2005
        The California Digital Library (CDL) began crawling sites related to the
        Katrina disaster last Friday.

        We're crawling in-house with Heritrix and our partners at Stanford
        University are crawling using the same seed list with their own crawler.
        It's great to know that the Internet Archive will be working on this too.

        The seed list for CDL's daily crawls is based on a growing list of URLs
        submitted to a web-based interface by a couple dozen curators on our
        Web-at-Risk NDIIPP project.

        We invite the Internet Archive to work with us to come up with a combined
        seed list to capture this important and historic information.

        -John

        John A. Kunze jak@... California Digital Library
        415 20th St, 4th Floor +1 510 987 9231 University of California
        Oakland, CA 94612-3550 fax:510 893 5212 Office of the President