where COULD Riverdale be?

  • rio_in_nyc
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2004

      > What can we deduce about Riverdale from the environmental clues?
      >
      > -- They have considerable snow in the winter
      > -- They are fairly close to a beach which has a promenade or
      > boardwalk.
      > -- There are mountainous country roads nearby
      >
      > Still, the lack of continuity keeps us from using any geographic
      > clues. For example, in one comic they go by Laguna Beach, which is
      > in California. But in another comic, Archie and Jug pick up two
      > hitchhikers who force them to drive all the way to Central City,
      > wherever that is. Archie says "I'm sure glad they don't want to go
      > to California." I guess it's like Springfield on The Simpsons.

      The above observations are a very good start.

      I think it is safe to assume that the creators keep the location of
      Riverdale somewhat elusive. I was told that Riverdale is some kind of
      city in perhaps located in upstate New York near lake ontario, but
      then again there are always oceanic references in their summer
      stories. In addition, my daughter Katuisha just read a story where
      Veronica went "up to New England" with her father in order to do
      research for her American history report for school.

      So I propose this:

      Why don't we try to figure out where Riverdale COULD be based on all
      the references to climate, and places the characters have visited.
      let's factor in all demographic information that we infer, and though
      we won't be able pinpoint a city or town, at least get a good idea of
      a specific region of the USA that could be dubbed "Archie Territory".

      Based on what I have seen gathered so far from this thread. I am
      suspecting that perhaps Riverdale would be east coast, below DC and
      Maryland, but perhaps somewhere in the eastern part of the state of
      Virginia, North carolina, South Carolina, but I hesitate to think it
      would be further than that.

      What are your suggestions?