Re: [Archaeology] Ancient Canaanite City, Jewish town found

  • Mikey Brass
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29 10:05 AM
      Hi Yigal,

      Wednesday, September 8, 2004, 12:28:16 AM, you wrote:

      > The area of the site is quite large, and the small parts that were excavated
      > are planned to be included in a large industrial park which is being built
      > over the entire area. By Israeli law, any construction on a site on which
      > there are ancient remains (which in Israel means practically everywhere)
      > must be held up until salvage excavations are conducted.

      While on the 1996 season of the Tel Miqne excavation, I was hearing
      past stories about how the construction of a road into Jerusalem had
      been been delayed due to a Bronze Age site being unearthed.

      > Two well-preserved sites for the price of one - and worth visiting before
      > the bulldozers start chewing it up.

      I would love to return to Israel one day, if not to excavate then at
      least to revisit some of the places I saw as well as go on another
      trip into the Judean and Negev deserts...

      Mikey Brass
      MA in Archaeology
      "The Antiquity of Man" http://www.antiquityofman.com
      Book: "The Antiquity of Man: Artifactual, fossil and gene records explored"

      - !ke e: /xarra //ke
      ("Diverse people unite": Motto of the South African Coat of Arms, 2002)