New Discussion List: archaeo-politics

  • John Giacobbe
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2004
      Hi all:

      In addition to this group, I am involved with the Arizona
      Archaeological Council email discussion list, the AAC-L
      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AAC-L/). Recently, we had an issue
      develop on the AAC-L involving some rather spirited debates
      concerning politics and the role archaeologists and scientists in
      general should play in both political activism and education.

      To offer our membership another venue to discuss such things, and to
      perhaps keep our official organizational email list at peace, we have
      started a new list for the discussion of all the stuff that had been
      deemed inappropriate for the AAC-L.

      The new list is called archaeo-politics (Archaeological Politics). At
      its most basic, archaeo-politics is a place to discuss the politics
      and practice of archaeology and cultural resource management. It is
      of course open to all those with an interest in the topic. In
      addition, we hope to encourage a broader range of discussions that
      take an anthropological perspective in our analyses of everything,
      not just of politics.

      One of our basic ideas is that all the things that make us human can
      be analyzed using anthropological thought, and that the various
      anthropological paradigms can be useful tools for scientists to use
      to study humanity.

      We would like to invite you all to join archaeo-politics, and would
      appreciate it if you could forward the information about this new
      discussion list to any interested parties.

      You can find out more, and sign up to the new list, at this link:

      Peace,

      John Giacobbe
      cerci1@...