Uni Course Advice Needed Desperately

  • starysign99
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 4, 2003
      Hi all,

      I signed up to this group because I'm in desperate need of advice
      from some people who know what they're talking about. I'm
      starting a
      uni course in archaeology very soon and due to the degree programme
      the uni operates, I'm allowed to take three classes. Now, I know
      two
      of these will be archaeology and anthropology but I have no idea
      what would be a suitable third subject. I've been told anything
      from
      geology and geography to theatre studies and computer science would
      be useful and I'm utterly and thoroughly confused. Please, any
      advice you all could offer would be gratefully received.

      Lizzy.
    • Mikey Brass
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4, 2003
        >'ve been told anything from geology and geography to theatre studies and
        >computer science

        Anyone of Classics, history and environmental science will serve you well.

        -----
        Best, Mikey Brass
        Archaeology BSocSci(Hons), University of Cape Town
        "The Antiquity of Man" http://www.antiquityofman.com
        Book: "The Antiquity of Man: Artifactual, fossil and gene records explored"
        In The Hall of Ma'at: http://www.thehallofmaat.com
      • Tony O'Brien
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 4, 2003
          I am taking anthro and archaeology classes as well.
          My advisor told me the classes you take vary greatly
          on your focus of interest. If your interest is in new
          world archaeology, history would be a beneficial
          minor. If you are looking into old world archaeology
          you should take the classics.

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 4, 2003
            >I am taking anthro and archaeology classes as well.
            >My advisor told me the classes you take vary greatly
            >on your focus of interest. If your interest is in new
            >world archaeology, history would be a beneficial
            >minor. If you are looking into old world archaeology
            >you should take the classics.

            For my undergraduate I took archaeology, history, anthropology and
            Classics. Friends of mine took English and/or environmental science.

            ============
            Square eyes: a very serious medical condition brought about by exposure to
            carcinogenous and toxic substances present in computer monitors. Combined
            with the radioactive waves emitted by your monitor, this results in a
            lethal cocktail that seriously impairs your vision.
          • avarchaeology
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 4, 2003
              Lizzy.

              The advice you've been given by others is good. I recommend you get as
              broad an education as possible. Much depends upon where you want to
              end up. I know that is hard know when we are starting out.

              I have been doing archeology in California's Mojave Desert for nearly
              20 years. In the cousre of my work I use knoweldge from anthropology,
              biology, geomorphology, geology, history, aerospave, the milatry,
              religious studies, linguistics, folklore, minnig, bootlegging, rocket
              science, forensics, police science, paleoclimatology, and interviewing
              skills as well as archaeoloy. I have to understand the environment to
              which the prehistoric people I am interested in adapted. I have to
              beable to develop relationships with military personel, Native
              Americans, old timers, clerks, secretaries, arrogant retired generals,
              engineers, university professors, and others that may have information
              I need. I have to know enough about thinngs to ask the right questions
              to get useful information. As a contractor doing cultural resource
              management archaeology I have to know the various laws and have dealt
              with rehistoric materials (my favorite), early homesteaders, early
              military, early aviation, early space program, and Native American
              rock art (another favorite). Some times the reference material you
              need isn't available and you have to develop it yourself.

              Bottom line is you have to be flexible, love learning, and enjoy
              detective work. You will need to get along with people and figure out
              to obtain the information you need. I can't think of anything I would
              rather do.

              Mark
            • starysign99
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 5, 2003
                Thank you all very much for your help. I had been leaning towards
                environmental science but I wasn't sure if it would be suitable,
                so
                all of your advice has cleared things up.

                Thanks again,

                Lizzy
              • Lucy
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 6, 2003
                  --- In archaeology2@yahoogroups.com, "starysign99" <lyaa@m...> wrote:
                  > Thank you all very much for your help. I had been leaning towards
                  > environmental science but I wasn't sure if it would be suitable,
                  > so
                  > all of your advice has cleared things up.
                  >
                  > Thanks again,
                  >
                  > Lizzy

                  My degree was half environmental (as palaeoecology) which is useful
                  for learning sampling strategies and understanding the history of teh
                  environment and how it impacted on human development and how humans
                  impacted the environment. In first year I took classics, celtic
                  studies, psychology, social anthropology, and ancient history as extra
                  subjects.