Question to all

  • Danielle
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002
      Hey Everyone :)

      Looks like I'm here again (old member returning lol) Anyways, for
      school I'm doing a project in Career class. An area that has
      interested me for the longest time has always been archaeology. But
      (and here's the hitch) I am somewhat a realist to the fact that I
      can't pursue this line of work. So, if anyone has any information at
      all about archaeology and disabilities, articles they've seen or
      anything, please message back or email me at annah_tucker@....
      Thanks to all :)

      Hugs,
      Danielle
    • Lucy
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2002
        It depends on the nature of the disability. Digging ism't the whole of
        archaeology - quite a few academics have done very little digging. You
        could do curation or lab work etc. I think I've also heard about
        archaeoology courses for the blind, but these were not career
        orientated, rather to give people an idea of what achaeologists do in
        the field with hands-on demonstrations.

        --- In archaeology2@y..., "Danielle " <Annah_tucker@h...> wrote:
        > Hey Everyone :)
        >
        > Looks like I'm here again (old member returning lol) Anyways, for
        > school I'm doing a project in Career class. An area that has
        > interested me for the longest time has always been archaeology. But
        > (and here's the hitch) I am somewhat a realist to the fact that I
        > can't pursue this line of work. So, if anyone has any information at
        > all about archaeology and disabilities, articles they've seen or
        > anything, please message back or email me at annah_tucker@h...
        > Thanks to all :)
        >
        > Hugs,
        > Danielle
      • joseph_mahal
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 22, 2002
          I agree with Lucy.

          I also have a profound interest in ancient history (from early
          childhood, in fact), and archaeology has been my drug. My own
          disability is financial. Not only do I not have the time to support
          my college habit, I know that when I graduate and come out the other
          side I won't have a job skill. The competition for professionals in
          the field is rather frightening.

          So I converted to bookworm. In some ways, it's more promising than
          digging in the dirt, and over the years I've found that the really
          tedious work that used to fascinate me is really best left to those
          with financial means. There is such a wealth of information on line
          that you can fill your bookshelves, empty your printer of ink and
          paper, and use up all of your time before you've reached bottom.

          But really, it's a much harder task defining your interests than it
          is filling them. Anthropology is extremely broad, encompassing a
          great many disciplines and touching on many more, and archaeology is
          it's vehicle.

          I'm currently studying ancient chronology, and I'm having to learn
          new words, like archeometry. It started out very simple, just a book
          on the Hittites, and now look at me! Talk about tangeants!

          Anyway, is there anything specific you were looking for?

          Joe