The Altar of Zeus(Pergamon)

  • pamphilian
    Message 1 of 7567 , Jan 1, 1999
      The Altar of Zeus is the altar which was
      previously on the acropolis of ancient city of Pergamon
      where is now inside the borders of Bergama district of
      �zmir(Smyrna) in Turkey.It was built in the memory of the
      victory won by II Eumenes(197 BC-160/159 BC),the king of
      Pergamon,against III Antiokhos,the king of Seleukids,and the
      Galaetians and was pledged to Zeus and Athena.<br>In 1878 it
      was found and excavated by a German engineer named
      Carl Human working to lay railway track on the
      region.With the permission of the Ottoman Empire the whole
      altar was broken in to pieces,taken to Berlin and
      rebuilt there(except the basis).<br>The reliefs on the
      altar,which are the most splendid examples of the Hellenistic
      Period sculpture and the Pergamon School of
      Sculpture,demonstrates the war between the gods and the
      giants(Gigantomakhia).The triumphing gods symbolizes the Pergamonians and
      the defeated giants symbolizes the Galaetians.Zeus
      and nearly all Greek gods exist on the
      phrase.<br>Well...everything is fine at its own place.I am sure The Altar of
      Zeus will look much better on the green hills of
      ancient Pergamon rather than between the walls of a dark
      museum,hundreds of miles from its home...<br>(please excuse my
      English)
    • bacchus
      Message 7567 of 7567 , Apr 7, 2002
        Pure nonsense