Skip to search.

Re: [Archaeology] New group member

  • Allison Loukanis
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 18, 2010
      lol.. right now? Reading books about other people's discoveries and joining elists like this one and subscribing to magazines. I still have school age kids at home so it will be a few years yet before I can really do anything major except possibly volunteer. I would love to volunteer in the Middle East some where but that is too far and too expensive right now.. since I live in WI there is likely to be something closer to home. I would imagine in Florida you have all those ancient Native American sites.. I read about those..sort of an offshoot of the Mound builders, right? Allison

      From: Allison Loukanis <allison.m.loukanis@...>
      To: archaeology2@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 2:23 PM

      Hello Denise..welcome.. I am like you. Not a professional, just have an interest. This group has been kind of quiet so maybe we can stir up some discussions.
        Gene, you mentioned you were going back to school. I have considered that as well.. I am in Milwaukee so UWM is a logical choice for me.. where are you planning to go? Allison

      From: Denise Swoveland <deniseswove@...>
      Subject: [Archaeology] New group member
      To: archaeology2@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 10:58 PM

        Hello
       I am interesting in learning more about archaeology, and show my support  for science  of archaeology. I like to meet people  who  has knowledger of Biblical archeology, ancient, and other forms . Eager to explore lost civilzation, exotic lands,etc.
      from Denise Swoveland

    • Elena Vaccaro
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 18, 2010
        This is the most activity I have seen on this list for a while. Here are two more groups I belong to. Both are moderated, so there is no spam, and both have sitting professors as members.

        If you wish to join, you have to be accepted by the moderator of each group. One is moderated by a professor out of the UK, and the other by a very astute lay person out of the US.

        Both have file sections where peer reviewed papers are posted, even if I do not understand all of them, I read them. Also, if you are interested, you can go back and read the older posts.

         Palanthsci@yahoogroups.com, Paleoanthro@yahoogroups.com

        If by chance you come across an article referenced to, I might have a copy of the article on my home computer.

                    Elena

        From: Gene Bremer <genebremerjr@...>

        To: archaeology2@yahoogroups.com

        From: Allison Loukanis <allison.m.loukanis@...>

        To: archaeology2@yahoogroups.com

        Date: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 2:23 PM

        From: Gene Bremer <genebremerjr@...>

        To: archaeology2@yahoogroups.com

        From: Denise Swoveland <deniseswove@...>

        To: archaeology2@yahoogroups.com

        Date: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 10:58 PM

          Hello

         I am interesting in learning more about archaeology, and show my support  for science  of archaeology. I like to meet people  who  has knowledger of Biblical archeology, ancient, and other forms . Eager to explore lost civilzation, exotic lands,etc.

        from Denise Swoveland

      • Anne Gilbert

        • bry712@ymail.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 28 1:37 PM

            Archaeology is a family friendly interest, kids love to be out doors and playing in the dirt also teaches them good values and love of old things. please check with your local Archaeology society, and dig also....

          • bry712@ymail.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 28 1:44 PM

              if it quite then then join us and dig too, every state has sites that need help in exploring, also state Archaeologist need help Sorting,cleaning, and cataloging artifacts. Learn by doing...

            • Chris Vedborg
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 28 3:48 PM
                Please join us at the Calico Mountain Archaeological Site in Yermo California. We have a dig weekend on the first Saturday of every month October through May. We will teach you archaeological excavation at no cost. If you become a member of the Friends of Calico Early Man Site Inc.,a nonprofit organization,  you will help us to  continue this educational service. For more information check out out meetup site.
                Thanks,
                Chris Vedborg