Late Med pottery webpage

  • Sue Anderson (Archaeology)
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2004
      I have just added a page on a recent discovery of LMT kiln wasters to our
      new website:

      http://www.suffolkcc.gov.uk/e-and-t/archaeology/lmtpot.htm

      The assemblage seems to be a single batch and consists almost entirely of
      jugs, with a few ?residual sherds of other vessel types. Unfortunately there
      was no planning condition on the site, but the owners notified us when they
      found a large pit full of pottery in their conservatory footing trench. The
      parish (Weybread) has known kiln sites of 15th/16th century date and it is
      likely that an undiscovered kiln lies not far from this new find. The LMT
      industry on the Norfolk/Suffolk border produced pottery which appears to
      have been consumed largely by the people of Norwich. However, it is now
      being recognised at more sites in Suffolk, and whilst Norwich may have been
      the main market, it was clearly being used in other parts of this region.

      Sue Anderson
      Finds & Post-exc Manager
      Suffolk CC Archaeological Service,
      Shire Hall, Bury St. Edmunds IP33 2AR. Tel. 01284 352446.