Re: [arborwiki-discuss] Proposal To ArborWiki Community

  • Richard Murphy
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 8, 2007
      Sam,

      On my first read of your message, it seems to be more asking permission
      than anything else - which seems a little hard to respond to. I think
      the answer to any such question of permission is, "Well, sure, go
      ahead, and we'll see how it works!"

      As far as "help fund the community-governed development of Arbor Wiki",
      I'd be interested in hearing more about what you're thinking.
      Currently (and, as far as I understand, in perpetuity), AW is hosted by
      the Ann Arbor District Library, meaning that the site's only real
      underlying need for funding is taken care of.

      Beyond that, (or buying a round of coffee at work sessions) "funding
      development of ArborWiki" isn't something that I understand. It seems
      like what you're talking about is "funding development of projects that
      use ArborWiki, and the creation of tools and seed content to support
      those projects." Which, again, my personal reaction to is, "Sounds
      great! Do it!" My fellow contributor-users may have different ideas,
      but my feeling is that projects like ArborWiki have very
      evolution-based permission systems: what you're allowed to do, as long
      as it doesn't break anything, is limited only by what other people find
      interesting enough to keep alive once you've started it up.

      So, from that, what's the first thing you want to do? What would this
      price book look like? Start up a couple of pages and see where it
      goes. (Or, though I've not made it to any yet, hit a Wiki Wednesday
      and solicit some real-time feedback.)

      - User:Murph

    • Andrew Turner
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 8, 2007
        On 12/8/07, Richard Murphy <murph@...> wrote:
        > Sam,
        >
        > On my first read of your message, it seems to be more asking permission
        > than anything else - which seems a little hard to respond to. I think
        > the answer to any such question of permission is, "Well, sure, go
        > ahead, and we'll see how it works!"
        >
        > As far as "help fund the community-governed development of Arbor Wiki",
        > I'd be interested in hearing more about what you're thinking.
        > Currently (and, as far as I understand, in perpetuity), AW is hosted by
        > the Ann Arbor District Library, meaning that the site's only real
        > underlying need for funding is taken care of.

        I think what he's actually looking for is a discussion around the
        concept first before "jumping in" doing something that may be in a
        wild direction.

        As for "funding" hosting is not all the funding. Some of us like to
        eat, and buy computers to use, and do other fun things. aka - paying
        for developer time and resources. :)

        some thoughts on Sam's message below:

        > On Dec 8, 2007, at 1:26 PM, Samuel Rose wrote:
        >
        > > Dear Arbor Wiki,
        > >
        > > One of the ideas that http://www.ms.lt/?thinker=Dante-Gabryell_Monson
        > > introduced to me recently, was the idea of creating s system that
        > > allows for an individual to create a digital "price book" (
        > > http://organizedhome.com/make-price-book-save-money), and then to also
        > > create a way to aggregate the data that individuals enter, and let
        > > them compare it based on different "facets" of the data.

        The general concept here is arbitrage
        (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbitrage), or seeking gain in disparate
        pricing. A familiar concept to anyone who has played any mechant game
        such as, oh, DrugWars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drugwars)

        another good example of this already being done is Ed Vielmetti has
        been gathering data on football parking pricing. Which is interesting
        b/c there is a Price / Rivalry / Distance / Atmosphere component,
        something that is somewhat lost when looking at a common product just
        from different stores.

        In general, the best solution is to provide a mechanism for anyone to
        use the tool they want: Excel, Google Spreadsheet, sheet & paper, et
        al. that can then be aggregated by your system. Then you could build
        specialized interfaces for parking pricing, grocery stores, latte,
        books, et al.

        I'm not sure this merits a full-fledged non-profit organization. It's
        more of a feature-set or functionality than venture model. I think
        Richard may be correct that a good first start would be to create a
        demo page or small application that does this - perhaps using Ed's
        football pricing data, or some other small, but intriguing set of
        services/products.

        --
        Andrew Turner
        ajturner@... 42.2774N x 83.7611W
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 8, 2007
          Hey Sam:

          Thanks for sending over these thoughts. I'll agree with Andrew that a
          Google Spreadsheet or other crappy baseline tool would be the wiki-way
          to spec out -- and dig into -- something like this. And with Murph
          that my Wiki Weds. track record has been poor, but sometime we'll all
          be there and it'll be wonderful.

          Beyond that, two comments and three links (for now).

          Comment 1: Collectively we should be thinking about ways to have Matt
          Hampel, or somebody else if he's not available, do a (paid) arborwiki
          internship next summer, to chip away at some of the lingering issues
          and wanted things around the project. Again, the AADL hosting /
          support arrangement is awesome, this would be more along the lines of
          "develop some mediawiki extension(s) that scratch an arborwiki itch in
          a potentially reuseful way."

          Comment 2: I don't think it's at all fair to leap from the pricebook
          example to arbitrage. Or perhaps it's fair, but too simple. The
          collections of things that have worked out best on Arborwiki are
          things like: the Streets of Ann Arbor / Streets of Ypsilanti -- the
          Birthday Deals -- the List of Ann Arbor Bloggers. The Farmers Market
          pages are about what a person could buy, when, and the places and
          people those comestible artifacts came from. There's a wiki long-now
          sense here, that cataloging street corners or (in my favorite not-
          Arborwiki civic wiki example) abandoned phone booths better fits the
          search/browse/maybe-edit behavior of the people we have. And one of
          the very few things wiki is actually good at is accreting that kind of
          information, and changes to that information, over time. So: think the
          value of community -- of looking for something and finding it --
          rather than the price of tomatoes.

          Links 1 and 2: My buddies in Eugene have this neato structured data
          wiki http://wagn.org/ -- for which application zero was a consumer
          advocacy slash product information site called Hooze http://www.hooze.org/wagn/Hooze
          ... while I don't think wagn is a good complement to ArborWiki for
          reasons I won't get into, it's a super interesting piece of software
          for building tools in the space Sam sketched out in his original
          message.

          Link 3: the civic wiki Facebook group @ http://tinyurl.com/2q72b5 The
          reason I started to collect that group of people is that it is -- by
          its very nature -- a geographically / technically distributed group
          with a very actionable interest. Basically, half of the people there
          could potentially be induced to contribute to Sam's ebook, whereas the
          other half would be likely consumers of it.

          --
          Brian

        • edward.vielmetti@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 8, 2007
            A price book sounds good and easy, If I understand it.

            The page name is [[milk prices]], seeded with people from Arbor
            parents. You could probably do other foods easy, eggs, beer, apples,
            potatoes.

            Data could be organized as simply as one line per price report: place,
            item description, price, date. A
            template could make the data exportable?

            Ed.

            --
            Edward Vielmetti +1 734 330 2465
          • Richard Murphy
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 8, 2007
              Andrew,

              Maybe that's the part I thought, but didn't write. "ArborWiki" itself
              doesn't particularly need funding, as I understand it. What would need
              funding would be paying somebody to write up the templates needed for
              your project, and seeding it with information. But that'd be more in
              the vein of various commercial Linux developers, where the company pays
              the programmer to build the thing they want, and then the thing gets
              released into the community, but the money goes from company to
              programmer, and not from company to community to programmer.

              So, e.g., if Sam's proposed business entity wanted to hire Mr. Hampel
              to code up some bits for a particular project, I'd say, "Right on!",
              but that'd be a transaction between Sam and Matt, rather than Sam
              providing funding to ArborWiki and then ArborWiki paying Matt.

              Am I becoming more, or less, understandable? :)

              -Murph.