Daily Bible Readings

  • DGO
    Message 1 of 1203 , Aug 31, 2003
      DAILY GOSPEL
      «Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.» John 6,68

      Monday, 01 September 2003

      First Letter to the Thessalonians 4,13-18.

      We do not want you to be unaware, brothers, about those who have fallen asleep, so that you may not grieve like the rest, who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose, so too will God, through Jesus, bring with him those who have fallen asleep. Indeed, we tell you this, on the word of the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will surely not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself, with a word of command, with the voice of an archangel and with the trumpet of God, will come down from heaven, and the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. Thus we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore, console one another with these words.

      Psalms 96,1.3-5.11-13.

      Sing to the LORD a new song; sing to the LORD, all the earth.
      Tell God's glory among the nations; among all peoples, God's marvelous deeds.
      For great is the LORD and highly to be praised, to be feared above all gods.
      For the gods of the nations all do nothing, but the LORD made the heavens.
      Let the heavens be glad and the earth rejoice; let the sea and what fills it resound;
      let the plains be joyful and all that is in them. Then let all the trees of the forest rejoice
      before the LORD who comes, who comes to govern the earth, To govern the world with justice and the peoples with faithfulness.

      Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 4,16-30.

      He came to Nazareth, where he had grown up, and went according to his custom into the synagogue on the sabbath day. He stood up to read and was handed a scroll of the prophet Isaiah. He unrolled the scroll and found the passage where it was written: The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to bring glad tidings to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free, and to proclaim a year acceptable to the Lord." Rolling up the scroll, he handed it back to the attendant and sat down, and the eyes of all in the synagogue looked intently at him. He said to them, "Today this scripture passage is fulfilled in your hearing." And all spoke highly of him and were amazed at the gracious words that came from his mouth. They also asked, "Isn't this the son of Joseph?" He said to them, "Surely you will quote me this proverb, 'Physician, cure yourself,' and say, 'Do here in your native place the things that we heard were done in Capernaum.'" And he said, "Amen, I say to you, no prophet is accepted in his own native place. Indeed, I tell you, there were many widows in Israel in the days of Elijah when the sky was closed for three and a half years and a severe famine spread over the entire land. It was to none of these that Elijah was sent, but only to a widow in Zarephath in the land of Sidon. Again, there were many lepers in Israel during the time of Elisha the prophet; yet not one of them was cleansed, but only Naaman the Syrian." When the people in the synagogue heard this, they were all filled with fury. They rose up, drove him out of the town, and led him to the brow of the hill on which their town had been built, to hurl him down headlong. But he passed through the midst of them and went away.

      Copyright © Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, USCCB

      Manage your subscription directly clicking HERE

    • DGO
      Message 1203 of 1203 , Mar 22, 2007

        DAILY GOSPEL

        «Lord,to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.» John 6,68

        Thursday, 22 March 2007

        Thursday of the Fourth week of Lent

        Today the Church celebrates : St Nicholas Owen,  St Lea

        See commentarie below or click here
        Saint Aphrahate :"Ifyou had believed Moses, you would have believed me"

        Book of Exodus32,7-14.

        With that, the LORD said to Moses, "Go down at once to your people, whomyou brought out of the land of Egypt, for they have become depraved.They have soon turned aside from the way I pointed out to them, making forthemselves a molten calf and worshiping it, sacrificing to it and crying out,'This is your God, O Israel, who brought you out of the land of Egypt!'I see how stiff-necked this people is," continued the LORD to Moses."Let me alone, then, that my wrath may blaze up against them to consumethem. Then I will make of you a great nation."But Moses implored the LORD, his God, saying, "Why, O LORD, should yourwrath blaze up against your own people, whom you brought out of the land ofEgypt with such great power and with so strong a hand?Why should the Egyptians say, 'With evil intent he brought them out, that hemight kill them in the mountains and exterminate them from the face of theearth'? Let your blazing wrath die down; relent in punishing your people.Remember your servants Abraham, Isaac and Israel, and how you swore to themby your own self, saying, 'I will make your descendants as numerous as thestars in the sky; and all this land that I promised, I will give yourdescendants as their perpetual heritage.'"So the LORD relented in the punishment he had threatened to inflict on hispeople.

        Psalms 106(105),19-20.21-22.23.

        At Horeb they fashioned a calf, worshiped a metal statue.
        They exchanged their glorious God for the image of a grass-eating bull.
        They forgot the God who saved them, who did great deeds in Egypt,
        Amazing deeds in the land of Ham, fearsome deeds at the Red Sea.
        He would have decreed their destruction, had not Moses, the chosen leader,Withstood him in the breach to turn back his destroying anger.

        Holy Gospel ofJesus Christ according to Saint John 5,31-47.

        If I testify on my own behalf, my testimony cannot be verified.But there is another who testifies on my behalf, and I know that thetestimony he gives on my behalf is true.You sent emissaries to John, and he testified to the truth.I do not accept testimony from a human being, but I say this so that you maybe saved.He was a burning and shining lamp, and for a while you were content torejoice in his light.But I have testimony greater than John's. The works that the Father gave meto accomplish, these works that I perform testify on my behalf that theFather has sent me.Moreover, the Father who sent me has testified on my behalf. But you havenever heard his voice nor seen his form,and you do not have his word remaining in you, because you do not believe inthe one whom he has sent.You search the scriptures, because you think you have eternal life throughthem; even they testify on my behalf.But you do not want to come to me to have life.I do not accept human praise;moreover, I know that you do not have the love of God in you.I came in the name of my Father, but you do not accept me; yet if anothercomes in his own name, you will accept him.How can you believe, when you accept praise from one another and do not seekthe praise that comes from the only God?Do not think that I will accuse you before the Father: the one who willaccuse you is Moses, in whom you have placed your hope.For if you had believed Moses, you would have believed me, because he wroteabout me.But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe my words?"

        Copyright © Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, USCCB

        Commentary of the day :

        Saint Aphrahate (?-around 345), Monk and Bishop in Nineveh, near Mosul inpresent-day Iraq
        Demonstrations, n°21

        "If you had believed Moses, you would have believedme"

              Moses was persecuted, as Jesus waspersecuted. When Moses was born, they concealed him so that he might not beslain by his persecutors. When Jesus was born they carried him off in flightinto Egypt so that Herod, his persecutor, might not slay him. In the dayswhen Moses was born, children used to be drowned in the river; and at thebirth of Jesus the children of Bethlehem and in the area were slain. To MosesGod said: "Those who were seeking your life are dead " (Ex 4:19), and toJoseph the angel said in Egypt: "Arise, take up the child, and go into theland of Israel, for those who were seeking the life of the child are dead"(Mt 2:20). Moses brought out his people from slavery to Pharaoh; and Jesusdelivered all nations from slavery to Satan… When Moses sacrificed the lamb,the firstborn of Egypt were slain; and when they crucified him, Jesus becamethe true lamb… Moses brought down manna for his people; and Jesus gave hisbody to the nations. Moses sweetened the bitter waters by wood; and Jesussweetened our bitterness by his cross, by the wood of the tree of hiscrucifixion. Moses brought the Law down to his people; and Jesus gave hiscovenants to the nations. Moses conquered Amalek by the spreading out of hishands; and Jesus conquered Satan by the sign of his cross.

              Moses brought out water from the rock forhis people; and Jesus sent Simon Peter (the rock) to carry his doctrine amongthe nations. Moses lifted up the veil from his face and spoke with God; andJesus lifted up the veil from the face of the nations, that they might hearand receive his doctrine (2 Co 3:16). Moses laid his hand upon his messengersand they received priesthood; and Jesus laid his hands upon his apostles, andthey received the Holy Spirit. Moses ascended the mountain and died there;and Jesus ascended into heaven and took his seat at the right hand of hisFather.

        Manage your subscription directly clicking HERE

        The DGO team needs HELP for the TRANSLATION from French to English ofthe daily commentaries.
        If you are willing to help, please contact the DGO team at:contact-am@...
        Information :
        * The DGO is sent every day to more than 240.000 subscribers !
        As you know, the "DAILY GOSPEL" asks neither a subscription fee, nor tobe devalued by publicity. Its financing is assured exclusively thanks to yourspontaneous generosity and with the help of its voluntary team. We want tocontinue our service to you and to allow the greatest number to profit fromit. Do you want to help us maintain this free service? Daily Gospel is freeof charge, it is not free of cost. Make a tax-deductible donation online atwww.dailygospel.org or directly at "The Daily Gospel", 6375 New Hope Road,New Hope, KY 40052. USA. Thank you and God bless you.