Jonah 1

  • Maged Tadros Wafik
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2013

      Dear Fathers, Sisters and Brothers in CHRIST
      Jonah fasting (Repentance and Nineveh): Repentance is the foundation of the Christian life.  When Our LORD  Was Baptized from John the Baptist and after Fasting for forty days, He came from the wilderness to Start HIS Ministry and HIS first words were: “From that time,  JESUS began to preach and to say, Repent; for the kingdom of heaven is at hand”( Matta,Mt:3:17 ). JESUS Confirmed the necessity of Repentance ”I tell you unless you repent you will all likewise perish”(Luka,Lk:13:5).
      To repent means to change, to no longer follow our own path, but to return to the path that GOD desires us to walk in. The church has arranged for us Nineveh’s fast, which always comes two weeks, before the Great Lent.  The Lent, as viewed by the church, is the season of repentance.  The story of Jonah and Nineveh, teaches us the power of true repentance. Nothing can make GOD more happy than our Repentance – JESUS Said: “ I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to Repentance”; “I tell you that in the same way, there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent ”(Luka,Lk:5:32 & 15:7).
      How do we Repent?: The best instruction on repentance is given to us by our Lord Himself in the parable of the prodigal son  (Luka,Lk:15:11-24).
      Similar to the prodigal son, we have left our FATHER’S House. We have wasted our inheritance.  We have departed into foreign country.  Now, we have to also be like the Prodigal son and realize where our own self-will has gotten us.  We must rise up and struggle to go back to Our FATHER, where we will find that Our FATHER  Will HIMSELF  Run out to meet us, and give us all that we need to be restored again.
      Without GOD,  there is no happiness or joy.  St. Augustine once said “LORD , YOU  have created us for YOU , and ourselves will find no rest till we find our rest in YOU”.  Man is never satisfied with the things of this world.  He is always looking for more and more – nothing can satisfy man but GOD.
      Repentance is a continuous process.  We need to repent everyday.  Everybody needs to repent.  The closer a person gets to GOD, the more he/she realizes the need for repentance.     Go through the whole day :
      Remember your first thought of the day.  What was the first thing you did in the morning?. Who was the first person to speak to?.  Were the subjects of your conversation during the day godly or not?; How did you react to the various things that came your way?. Remember not only what you did, but what you failed to do as well.
      Repentance in the lives of Saints: St. Arsensius used to weep all day to the extent that his eye lashes fell as a result of his continuous tears. In his early life, St. Augustine was living away from GOD, and his mother St. Monica kept praying for his salvation.  St. Augustine was converted in his thirties, and never returned back to the life of sin.  Instead, he pressed on and became one of the greatest Saints of the church.We also have the story of St. Moses the black.  St. Moses led a very sinful life, but later repented, and became one of the great saints of our church.  Have aBlessed Jonah fasting. Plz pray 4 us. كل سنه وحضرتك وكل أفراد الأسره بخير

      كل يونان وحضرتك طيب

      صلي من اجلي
      your brother & family in the Lord