  • Hanaa
    Message 1 of 116 , Dec 1, 2006

      An idea about obstacles

      In ancient times, a king had a boulder placed on a roadway. Then he hid himself and watched to see if anyone would remove the huge rock. Some of the king's wealthiest merchants and courtiers came by and simply walked around it. Many loudly blamed the king for not keeping the roads clear, but none did anything about getting the big stone out of the way. Then a peasant came along carrying a load of vegetables. On approaching the boulder, the peasant laid down his burden and tried to move the stone to the side of the road. After much pushing and straining, he finally succeeded. As the peasant picked up his load of vegetables, he noticed a purse laying on the road where the boulder had been. The purse contained many gold coins and a note from the king indicating that the gold was for the person who removed the boulder from the roadway. The peasant learned what many others never understand. Every obstacle presents an opportunity to improve one's condition.

      It has been written that an optimist is someone who can fall ten stories and call out to each floor in passing that everything is okay so far. It has also been said that an optimist is someone who refuses to see things as they really are.

      It is far better, the pessimist believes, to look for the worst so as to be pleasantly surprised when things are better than expected. Then, if they are as bad as imagined, the disappointment won't be quite so great.

      But this is somewhat like backing into a room so to avoid seeing the beauty of it, only to find it is an elevator shaft.

      There can be no advancement where we expect the worst and believe that going outside the limits of ordinary thinking is only day dreaming. Thinkers, capable of forecasting and predicting answers before the questions arise, are in great demand.

      Only the optimist can fill the bill. Only the optimist can dare to believe there are things waiting for discovery and further development.
      An optimist questions life the same as a pessimist - the difference is that the optimist knows there is an answer and that the answer can be found. Optimists are aware that the cherries of life have pits, but they are prepared to remove them. Their minds do not dwell on pits, but on the sweetness of the cherries.
      There will be situations that will make us afraid. Fear is a common sense emotion that keeps us from walking in front of a moving car or from jumping off the deep end of anything. And there are periods of natural anxiety when we want too much to perform well, and the butterflies begin to flutter.

      Then, there is another kind of fear that is unnatural. It has the ability to possess us and rule over our very lives. It is that "what if" fear that builds nests in our minds and hatches dire images that scare the daylights out of us. It can keep the lights off, the doors bolted, and the windows of our souls firmly locked against the most beautiful things in life.

      It is no disgrace in this day to ask for professional help in understanding our fears. Only the very foolish would consider this help a crutch. It is a brave person who admits the need for help and has the courage to go and find it.
      By Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Thanks Anne
      When you put all your efforts into defending, promoting and advancing only your own self, what have you really achieved? The victory is hollow, meaningless and will not last, if it even can be considered a victory in the first place.

      Either you can be focused and absorbed and centered on yourself, or you can achieve truly great things. There is no way to do both. For self absorption is nothing other than a blocking out of all the other more positive and more magnificent possibilities. When it's all about you, it's all very small and limited.

      Yet when the concerns of the self fall away, an astounding amount of positive, productive energy is set free. To the extent that you can look and live beyond yourself, many great things are possible.

      Go beyond yourself, and worry is replaced by compassion and caring, fear is supplanted by confidence, despair is overwhelmed by love. Live beyond the concerns of self, and be astounded at how many limitations are simply no longer there.

      Ralph Marston

    • Hanaa
      Message 116 of 116 , Dec 13, 2007

        If you've been feeling depressed, discouraged or
        bummed out for a while you may just be making a
        comfortable bed for your unhappy feelings.  Who
        wants to leave a comfortable bed?  Not me!
        Low spirits are kept alive and well when you
        rehearse depressing thoughts in your mind
        over and over again.  Guess what?  It's time for you to
        make an intelligent decision, and that decision is
        for change.
        Start thinking in terms of possibilities and
        opportunities instead of things that bring you
        down.  It's hard at first and you may have to force
        yourself, but with a little practice, your spirits will
        improve and the blue funk will subside.
        Are we really listening? - The next time you're in conversation with
        someone think about this question for a second. Many times we're simply
        thinking of what we're going to say next, rather than actually listening
        to the person with a clear mind.

          If you're guilty (as I sometimes am) of this at times there's some
        really bad news. The other person knows this as well. It's written all
        over our faces. It's in the very words that we use to follow up with in our
        discussion with that person. The good news is that by making ourselves
        aware of the fact that we're not truly listening we can begin at that very
        moment correcting the problem.

          Make yourself aware of the importance of listening and you'll reap many
        rewards. It's one of life's most awesome facts that people are drawn to
        those who are good listeners. Upon reading the biographies of many leaders
        one thing is clear. Each in their own way are magnificent listeners...

        Josh Hinds :-)
        Time is neither your servant nor your oppressor. It is your workplace.

        The passing of time can bring you down or lift you up. It all depends on how you make use of that time.

        Time always comes to you packaged as now. To make full use of time, you must make full use of now.

        If you put your efforts off until later, time will keep the fruits of those efforts always out of your reach. Yet when you let your efforts fill the time of now, time will deliver great rewards as it flows along.

        With time on your side, any dream can become real, any goal can be reached. The time you have to work with is now, and in now is the seed for the best you can imagine.

        Plant that seed of achievement and real fulfillment now. And time will bear its magnificent fruit.

         Ralph Marston