9-16 Dec 01 Update: Blessed Father Damien/ The Wisdom of Saint Benedict

  • Zeitun-eg.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2001
      1 Corinthians 13:2-8 and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing. Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. (true) Love never fails. Song of Solomon 8:7 Many waters cannot quench (true) love, Nor can the floods drown it. If a man would give for love all the wealth of his house, it would be utterly despised. 1 John 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us; but they went out that they might be made manifest, that none of them were of us.
      Contents at a Glance   >>>>>

      + Blessed Father Damien - Servant of Humanity and Apostle to the Lepers
      + The Wisdom of Saint Benedict
      + From the Mailbox - Satan's Web Traps
      + The Popes' Wednesday's Audiences (5 Dec 01)

      Blessed Father Damien - Apostle to the Lepers    >>>>>

      'I make myself a leper with the lepers'
      At 23, Damien de Veuster left everything to work among the lepers of Hawaii. He died there of leprosy at only 45. He was a Mother Teresa of his time, often isolated, and was practically a household name when he died in 1889. Social reformer, courageous, resourceful, obstinate, at times unpopular - certainly. Yet Fr Damien became a leper for the lepers, rejected for the rejected, like Christ himself - rare in a world that wants to eliminate suffering and make everything clean, perfect and beautiful. His life, like the Gospel itself, continues to radically challenge and inspire.
      Excerpt from MacNiven-Johnston G. Father Damien - Apostle to the Lepers (CTS Biographies Series). London: The Incorporated Catholic Truth Society - Publishers to the Holy See. 1999
      "Damien, meanwhile had begun his ministry. He visited the bedridden, hearing confessions, administering Extreme Unction (Sacrament of the Sick) and washing and bandaging their sores. He did not find this easy at first. The sight and above all the smell of lepers' decaying flesh turned his stomach, and he often had to rush out of the shelters and vomit. The first time he administered Extreme Unction on the island horrified him. When he came to anoint the man's feet he found them already full of maggots. He began to smoke a pipe continuously to overcome the smell. He wore boots because he suffered a psychosomatic itch on his legs when he was with the patients and he suffered terrible headaches from the stress. Even in celebrating the Mass he found great difficulty. He fought to overcome his nausea in the crowded church by thinking of Christ at the tomb of Lazarus. Gradually though, he became more used to it. Later, visitors were always amazed at his tenderness and skill as he looked after the lepers."
      1 John 3:18 My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth.
      Related Links:
      Biography of the Belgian missionary priest to the leper colony on Molokai (From the Catholic Encyclopedia)
      Damien the Leper - Lengthy retelling of Father Damien's life story (EWTN)
      The Wisdom of Saint Benedict    >>>>>

      Widely regarded as the father of Western monasticism, St Benedict was born in Nursia, Italy, and educated in Rome. Around the year 500 he withdrew to a cave at Subiaco to become a hermit. A group of disciples grew up around him, and about twenty-five years later he composed his famous Rule. This was to become one of the most important spiritual texts ever written, creating a form of monastic life that has spread throughout the Christian world, and guiding the Benedictine order for nearly 1,500 years.
      Excerpts from de Waal E. The Wisdom of Saint Benedict. Oxford: Lion Publishing. 1999
      The fourth step of humility is to go even further than this by readily accepting in patient and silent endurance, without thought of giving up or avoiding the issue, any hard and demanding things that may come our way in the course of that obedience, even if they include harsh impositions which are unjust. We are encouraged to such patience by the words of scripture: whoever perseveres to the very end will be saved. And again there is the saying of the psalm: be steadfast in your heart and trust in the Lord. Then again there is that verse from another psalm: it is for you we face death all the day long and are counted as sheep for the slaughter. Those who follow in that way have a sure hope of reward from God and they are joyful with St Paul's words on their lips: in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. Rule, 7:35-39
      The first of all things to aim at is to love the Lord God with your whole heart and soul and strength and then to love your neighbour as much as you do yourself. The other commandments flow from these two... The way to become holy is faithfully to fulfil God's commandments every day by loving chastity, by hating no one, by avoiding envy and hostile rivalry, by not becoming full of self but showing due respect for our elders and love for those who are younger, by praying in the love of Christ for those who are hostile to us, by seeking reconciliation and peace before the sun goes down whenever we have a quarrel with another, and finally by never despairing of the mercy of God. Rule, 4:1-2, 63-74
      It is easy to recognize the bitter spirit of wickedness which creates a barrier to God's grace and opens the way to the evil of hell. But equally there is a good spirit which frees us from evil ways and brings us closer to God and eternal life. It is this latter spirit that all who follow the monastic way of life should strive to cultivate, spurred on by fervent love. By following this path they try to be first to show respect to one another with the greatest patience in tolerating weaknesses of body or character. They should even be ready to outdo each other in mutual obedience so that no one in the monastery aims at personal advantage but is rather concerned for the good of others; Thus the pure love of one another as of one family should be their ideal. Rule, 72:1-8
      Related Links:
      Rule of St. Benedict (From the Catholic Encyclopedia)
      St. Benedict of Nursia (From the Catholic Encyclopedia)
      From the Mailbox - Satan's Web Traps    >>>>>

      From: "J(...)
      To: <arbible@...>
      Subject: ECF
      Date: Thursday, November 29, 2001 11:12 PM
      I would like to thank you for providing ECF free to everyone. Paying over 200 dollars for the cd or the books is a disgrace to those who chose to make the works hard for the masses to read. You are a credit to braking the back of illiteracy.
      Have a great day

      Related Link:
      Download the Complete Early Church Fathers Collection for Windows

      Satan's Web traps
      From: <NYCourage@...>
      To: <
      Subject: Re: CourageRC
      Date: Tuesday, November 27, 2001 10:15 PM
      Dear Friend,
         Thank you - we are aware of the study which will be published by the London School of Economics regarding children's exposure to pornography on the internet.
         Perhaps you are not aware of the details leading up to the takeover of our old domain name.  This is not a case of us simply changing domain names and leaving the old one unattended to, as you seem to imply in your letter.
         The registry company with which our original domain name was registered two years ago, neglected to inform our webmaster that the domain name was up for renewal, although they were bound by contract to do so.  In fact, communication with someone from the registry company led our webmaster to believe that the domain name had been renewed three months ago.  We were shocked when we discovered our URL pointing to a pornographic site at the beginning of November.  When we investigated it, we learnt about the expiry of the domain name, as well as the immediate buying over of the domain name by the Russian owned porn site.  Further investigation has shown that this particular porn site preys on expiring Catholic domain names and, interestingly, the other Catholic sites that this has happened to have all been registered with the same registry company.  Our lawyer is vigorously investigating both matters.
         When we learned what happened, the very next morning we transfered our website to couragerc.net, so we could still have a website up and running.  In the meantime, we are pursuing legal action against both the registration company, as well as the porn site owner who is clearly using our trademarked name in bad faith.  He has even tried to extort money from us, trying to sell it back to us for thousands of dollars.
         Meanwhile, our webmaster is working on informing search engines and links to our site, of our new domain name.  If we manage to get couragerc.org back, which we are trying to do, we will have both domain names point to our website.  All of this takes time and money.  Thankfully, supporters of this ministry are trying to assist us in anyway they can.
        If you have any useful or positive suggestions, please feel free to write again.  Thank you.
      Courage Office

      From: "Zeitun-eg.org" <arbible@...>
      To: <
      NYCourage@...>; <Webmaster@...>
      Cc: (...)
      Subject: CourageRC
      Date: Tuesday, November 27, 2001 6:57 PM
      Dear Sirs,
      Your old site (with .org extension) now leads to a pornographic site and its WHOIS record states a Russian name who seems to have hacked the domain at the beginning of this month. This is simply unacceptable, even though I have been told you moved to http://couragerc.net, you should have secured your original domain and kept it to point to the new domain. Most Catholic Web sites around the Web which link to your site do so using the old address, which has now become an evil trap. The world's moral values are rapidly deteriorating. A study to be published tomorrow states that nine out of ten English children aged 8-16 of both sexes have seen porn on the Internet:
      The world certainly needs much prayer.
      God bless and protect you and your ministry.
      Glory be to Jesus Christ.

      N.B.: Courage is an apostolate of the Roman Catholic Church; they are the only such organisation in the Catholic church approved by the Vatican.
      The Popes' Wednesday's Audiences    >>>>>

      H.H. Pope John Paul II Wednesday's Audience (5 Dec 2001)
      "Even when anguished, there is need to keep alive the flame of confidence, because the Lord�s powerful hand leads his faithful to victory over evil and to salvation," the Holy Father said, while meditating on Psalm 117(118). The biblical passage uses vivid images to describe the believer�s understandable fear: "The cruel adversaries are compared to a swarm of bees or a column of flames that advances, reducing everything to ashes," the Pope told the pilgrims gathered in Paul VI Hall. "However, the reaction of the righteous, sustained by the Lord, is vehement: Three times he repeats: �in the Lord�s name I crushed them.�" The Hebrew original evidences a destructive intervention in confronting evil, the Pope noted. But the believer�s strength is not in his own resources but in God, the Pontiff clarified. "And it is because of this," he said, "that the joy of victory over evil gives way to a very thought-provoking profession of faith: �The Lord, my strength and might, came to me as saviour.�"
      http://www.zenit.org/ (Zenit.org full coverage in 6 languages; English: http://www.zenit.org/english/visualizza.phtml?sid=13664)
      H.H. Coptic Orthodox Pope Shenouda III Wednesday's Audiences
      http://www.copticpope.org/ (Zipped RealAudio files - Arabic)

      Psalm 115:11-13 You who fear the LORD, trust in the LORD; He is your help and your shield. The LORD has been mindful of us; He will bless us; The Lord blesses those who fear Him, both small and great (cf. Revelation 19:5).
      Revelation 2:10 Do not fear any of those things which you are about to suffer. Indeed, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and you will have tribulation ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.
      St. Dorotheos of Gaza "It is no great thing not to judge, and to be sympathetic to someone who is in trouble and falls down before you, but it is a great thing not to judge or to strike back when someone, on account of his own passions, speaks against you. Likewise, it is a great thing not to disagree when someone else is honoured more than you are."
      Bonus Links:
      - The Miacle of moving the Mokattam Mountain (Cairo, Egypt) on 27 November, 979 AD: http://www.faithmovesmountains.com/
      - Towards Church Unity - Queen Elizabeth Invites Catholic Cardinal to Preach to Royal Family: http://www.zenit.org/english/visualizza.phtml?sid=13657
      Glory be to Jesus Christ.

      In Christ's everlasting love, joy and peace (the fruits of the Holy Spirit),
      --Zeitun-eg.org (
      Our Lady of Zeitun Online/The Holy Bible Web Site - 1996-2001)
      Zeitun-eg.org is an interdenominational ministry.

      This message is permanently archived at:
      To subscribe, send e-mail to:
      To unsubscribe, send e-mail to:

      Do You Yahoo!?
      Send your FREE holiday greetings online at Yahoo! Greetings.