Scripture Of The Day and Daily Devotional - 10252006 - day 298 *****2 Kings*****

  • PTW
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25, 2006

      October 25, 200 6

      KJV – (King James Version)

      NIV – (New International Version)

      BBE – (Bible in Basic English)

      Scripture of the Day

      Psalms 4 6 :1-3, 10-11

      1) God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

      2) Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;

      3) Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah.

      10) Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

      11) The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah. (KJV)

      1God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. 2Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, 3though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. Selah 10Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth. 11The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah (NIV)

      4 6 :1 God is our harbour and our strength, a very present help in trouble. 4 6 :2 For this cause we will have no fear, even though the earth is changed, and though the mountains are moved in the heart of the sea; 4 6 :3 Though its waters are sounding and troubled, and though the mountains are shaking with their violent motion. (Selah.) 4 6 :10 Be at peace in the knowledge that I am God: I will be lifted up among the nations, I will be honoured through all the earth. 4 6 :11 The Lord of armies is with us; the God of Jacob is our high tower. (Selah.) (BBE)

      Daily Devotional

      Verses for the Day:

      Proverbs 27:1

      1) Boast not thyself of to morrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth. (KJV)

      1Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth. (NIV)

      27:1 Do not make a noise about tomorrow, for you are not certain what a day's outcome may be. (BBE)

      Thoughts for the Day:

      This verse from Proverbs tells us not to boast about anything that we might do, as we do not know what a day may bring. Jesus spoke to his disciples about this very thing in a parable in the New Testament.

      Luke 12:15-21

      15) And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.
      1 6 ) And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:
      17) And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?
      18) And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.
      19) And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.
      20) But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?
      21) So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God. (KJV)

      15Then he said to them, Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions. 1 6 And he told them this parable: The ground of a certain rich man produced a good crop. 17He thought to himself, What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops. 18Then he said, This is what I'll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. 19And I'll say to myself, You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry. 20But God said to him, You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself? 21This is how it will be with anyone who stores up things for himself but is not rich toward God. (NIV)

      12:15 And he said to them, Take care to keep yourselves free from the desire for property; for a man's life is not made up of the number of things which he has. 12:1 6 And he said to them, in a story, The land of a certain man of great wealth was very fertile: 12:17 And he said to himself, What is to be done? for I have no place in which to put all my fruit. 12:18 And he said, This I will do: I will take down my store-houses and make greater ones, and there I will put all my grain and my goods. 12:19 And I will say to my soul, Soul, you have a great amount of goods in store, enough for a number of years; be at rest, take food and wine and be happy. 12:20 But God said to him, You foolish one, tonight I will take your soul from you, and who then will be the owner of all the things which you have got together? 12:21 So that is what comes to the man who gets wealth for himself, and has not wealth in the eyes of God. (BBE)

      The message of this parable is that those who have spent their lives building their own kingdoms, and then boast about what they plan to do, can suddenly have their plans changed, and lose not only all that they worked for, but also their souls. They will leave their wealth behind for another. Those who are striving to protect their fortunes for their own consumption, without any thought of doing anything for others, or for God, could lose it all in one second of time.

      Jesus warns in this parable to beware of covetousness, as He does not measure our lives by the things we have in this world.  What God desires of us is that we become rich toward God.  What are the "true riches?" The Bible tells us that those who trust in the riches of this world shall fall, but those who are righteous on the inside shall prosper. It is not wrong to have some of the riches of this world, but it is wrong if we do not use them as the Bible commands us to do. The "true riches" are spiritual things that are not dependent on anything in this world, but on God alone. They are the riches of glory that come from God, His character, His grace, His favor, His protection, His vision, His revelation, His knowledge, His wisdom, His goodness, His love, His joy, His peace, His gifts and everything else that belongs to Him.

      Proverbs 11:28

      28) He that trusteth in his riches shall fall: but the righteous shall flourish as a branch. (KJV)

      28Whoever trusts in his riches will fall, but the righteous will thrive like a green leaf. (NIV)

      1:28 He who puts his faith in wealth will come to nothing; but the upright man will be full of growth like the green leaf. (BBE)

      Romans 9:23

      23) And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory. (KJV)

      23What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory— (NIV)

      9:23 And to make clear the wealth of his glory to vessels of mercy, which he had before made ready for glory, (BBE)

      Romans 11:33

      33) O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out! (KJV)

      33Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out! (NIV)

      11:33 O how deep is the wealth of the wisdom and knowledge of God! no one is able to make discovery of his decisions, and his ways may not be searched out. (BBE)

      Ephesians 1:17-18

      17) That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
      18) The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints. (KJV)

      17I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. 18I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, (NIV)

      1:17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you a spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him; 1:18 And that having the eyes of your heart full of light, you may have knowledge of what is the hope of his purpose, what is the wealth of the glory of his heritage in the saints, (BBE)

      Paul, a minister of God, in the New Testament said that the riches of Christ are unsearchable, meaning without end. We can never exhaust them.

      Ephesians 3:7-9

      7) Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.
      8) Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;
      9) And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ. (KJV)

      7I became a servant of this gospel by the gift of God's grace given me through the working of his power. 8Although I am less than the least of all God's people, this grace was given me: to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, 9and to make plain to everyone the administration of this mystery, which for ages past was kept hidden in God, who created all things. (NIV)

      3:7 Of which I was made a preacher, through that grace of God which was given to me in the measure of the working of his power. 3:8 To me, who am less than the least of all the saints, was this grace given, so that I might make clear to the Gentiles the good news of the unending wealth of Christ 3:9 And make all men see what is the ordering of the secret which from the first has been kept in God who made all things; (BBE)

      May we never be like the man who boasts about what he plans to do with his own life and riches, but rather we can boast in the Lord and know that He shall be there for us no matter what a day brings. As we trust Him, He shall meet every need of our lives, every day, by the riches that are in Christ Jesus!

      Philippians 4:19

      19) But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. (KJV)

      19And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. (NIV)

      4:19 And my God will give you all you have need of from the wealth of his glory in Christ Jesus. (BBE)

      Prayer for the Day:

      Dear Heavenly Father, I am thankful that I am a child of Yours, and that You are always there to meet every need that I have. My faith and trust are in You ,and I know that whatever a day brings, You will be there with me. Give me the grace to deal with the problems that I must face.  Also, may I remain humble when You reward me and bless me in special ways. May I always be mindful to give you thanks and praise for everything that You have done for me and my family.  I do not want to take Your blessings for granted.  All praise belongs to You!  I pray this prayer in the name of Jesus. Amen.

      Keep each other in PrAyer and display HuMility.  Have a BlEssed day and stay ENcourage.

      God is Good All the Time!!!

      Scripture Of The Day and Daily Devotional are sent out Daily via email.  If you would like to add any of your family members or friends to this distribution list, just reply to the email address listed below with their full email address and they will start receiving the Word Of God in the future.  If you want your email address remove from this distribution list, please reply to the email address listed below requesting for your email address to be removed.  Thank you.

      Stay Blessed,

      Riley

      pass_the_word@...