Scripture Of The Day and Daily Devotional - 08022006 - day 214 *****Romans*****

  • PTW
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2006

      August 2, 2006

      KJV – (King James Version)

      NIV – (New International Version)

      BBE – (Bible in Basic English)

      Scripture of the Day

      John 15:12-13

      12) This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

      13) Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. (KJV)

      12My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. (NIV)

      15:12 This is the law I give you: Have love one for another, even as I have love for you. 15:13 Greater love has no man than this, that a man gives up his life for his friends. (BBE)

      Daily Devotional

      Verses for the Day:

      Proverbs 21:30-31

      30) There is no wisdom nor understanding nor counsel against the LORD.
      31) The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. (KJV)

      30There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the LORD. 31The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but victory rests with the LORD. (NIV)

      21:30 Wisdom and knowledge and wise suggestions are of no use against the Lord. 21:31 The horse is made ready for the day of war, but power to overcome is from the Lord. (BBE)

      Thoughts for the Day:

      These scriptures in Proverbs tell us that ultimately, no matter how formable a battle looks, and no matter how well prepared we might be, the outcome and victory of that battle rests in our faith in the Lord and His capabilities.  In verse 30 we are told that none of man's wisdom and understanding is any match for the Lord.  There is a difference between man's wisdom and God's wisdom.  In fact we are given a definition of man's wisdom versus God's wisdom in James 3.

      James 3:13-17

      13) Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom.
      14) But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth.
      15) This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish.
      16) For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.
      17) But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. (KJV)

      13Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. 14But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. 15Such wisdom does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, of the devil. 16For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice. 17But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. (NIV)

      3:13 Who has wisdom and good sense among you? let him make his works clear by a life of gentle wisdom. 3:14 But if you have bitter envy in your heart and the desire to get the better of others, have no pride in this, talking falsely against what is true. 3:15 This wisdom is not from heaven, but is of the earth and the flesh and the Evil One. 3:16 For where envy is, and the desire to get the better of others, there is no order, but every sort of evil-doing. 3:17 But the wisdom which is from heaven is first holy, then gentle, readily giving way in argument, full of peace and mercy and good works, not doubting, not seeming other than it is. (BBE)

      In these scriptures we see that man's wisdom is based on selfishness, while God's wisdom is pure and impartial.  God's wisdom will have a solution that is not only fair to all, but will also be good for all. How wonderful it would be if all men could trust God and obey His Word, then we would all get along.  God calls us each to die to our own desires and ways, and live for His.

      In today's verses, we are told, that no matter how brilliant a man's plan might be, if it is not based on the Word of God, it cannot prevail against the wisdom of God. Man's wisdom will appear foolish in the sight of God. All plans of men are subject to be changed, destroyed or cancelled; because men are mortal and make mistakes, change their minds, face unforeseen disasters, sickness, etc. All plans of God are guaranteed success, if they are followed, as the scripture says in

      Romans 8:31b

      31) If God be for us, who can be against us? (KJV)

      31If God is for us, who can be against us? (NIV)

      8:31 If God is for us, who is against us? (BBE)

      1 Corinthians 1:19-24

      19) For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
      20) Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
      21) For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
      22) For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
      23) But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
      24) But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. (KJV)

      19For it is written: I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate. 20Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. 22Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, 23but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 24but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. (NIV)

      1:19 As it says in the holy Writings, I will put an end to the wisdom of the wise, and will put on one side the designs of those who have knowledge. 1:20 Where is the wise? where is he who has knowledge of the law? where is the man of this world who has a love of discussion? has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 1:21 For because, by the purpose of God, the world, with all its wisdom, had not the knowledge of God, it was God's pleasure, by so foolish a thing as preaching, to give salvation to those who had faith in him. 1:22 Seeing that the Jews make request for signs, and the Greeks are looking for knowledge: 1:23 But we give the good news of Christ on the cross, a hard thing to the Jews, and a foolish thing to the Gentiles; 1:24 But to those of God's selection, Jews and Greeks, Christ is the power and the wisdom of God. (BBE)

      Verse 31 in today's study, we see that even though an army prepares for battle, by training its men and horses, only the Lord can guarantee safety, deliverance and victory.  A horse is symbolic of our strength in warfare. It is not wrong to prepare an army for the defense of our nation, because we live in a world of evil men and we must be prepared to protect ourselves.  This is true for all emergency situations. We should be prepared in case something happens because we live in a fallen world. However, we should remember that our real protection comes from God. The Bible teaches that any nation who serves false gods and fails to keep His commandments will fall. Since God is merciful, He gives all men and nations time to repent before judgment comes upon them. Moses spoke these words to the children of Israel , and they apply to us today, as well:

      Deuteronomy 4:5-9

      5) Behold, I have taught you statutes and judgments, even as the LORD my God commanded me, that ye should do so in the land whither ye go to possess it.
      6) Keep therefore and do them; for this is your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the nations, which shall hear all these statutes, and say, Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.
      7) For what nation is there so great, who hath God so nigh unto them, as the LORD our God is in all things that we call upon him for?
      8) And what nation is there so great, that hath statutes and judgments so righteous as all this law, which I set before you this day?
      9) Only take heed to thyself, and keep thy soul diligently, lest thou forget the things which thine eyes have seen, and lest they depart from thy heart all the days of thy life: but teach them thy sons, and thy sons' sons. (KJV)

      5See, I have taught you decrees and laws as the LORD my God commanded me, so that you may follow them in the land you are entering to take possession of it. 6Observe them carefully, for this will show your wisdom and understanding to the nations, who will hear about all these decrees and say, Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people. 7What other nation is so great as to have their gods near them the way the LORD our God is near us whenever we pray to him? 8And what other nation is so great as to have such righteous decrees and laws as this body of laws I am setting before you today? 9Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them. (NIV)

      4:5 I have been teaching you laws and decisions, as I was ordered to do by the Lord my God, so that you might keep them in the land to which you are going to take it for your heritage. 4:6 So keep these laws and do them; for so will your wisdom and good sense be clear in the eyes of the peoples, who hearing all these laws will say, Truly, this great nation is a wise and far-seeing people. 4:7 For what great nation has a god so near to them as the Lord our God is, whenever we are turned to him in prayer? 4:8 And what great nation has laws and decisions so right as all this law which I put before you today? 4:9 Only take care, and keep watch on your soul, for fear that the things which your eyes have seen go from your memory and from your heart all the days of your life; but let the knowledge of them be given to your children and to your children's children; (BBE)

      Psalm 33:12-17

      12) Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance.
      13) The LORD looketh from heaven; he beholdeth all the sons of men.
      14) From the place of his habitation he looketh upon all the inhabitants of the earth.
      15) He fashioneth their hearts alike; he considereth all their works.
      16) There is no king saved by the multitude of an host: a mighty man is not delivered by much strength.
      17) An horse is a vain thing for safety: neither shall he deliver any by his great strength. (KJV)

      12Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD, the people he chose for his inheritance. 13From heaven the LORD looks down and sees all mankind; 14from his dwelling place he watches all who live on earth 15he who forms the hearts of all, who considers everything they do. 16No king is saved by the size of his army; no warrior escapes by his great strength. 17A horse is a vain hope for deliverance; despite all its great strength it cannot save. (NIV)

      33:12 Happy is the nation whose God is the Lord; and the people whom he has taken for his heritage. 33:13 The Lord is looking down from heaven; he sees all the sons of men; 33:14 From his house he keeps watch on all who are living on the earth; 33:15 He makes all their hearts; their works are clear to him. 33:16 A king's salvation is not in the power of his army; a strong man does not get free by his great strength. 33:17 A horse is a false hope; his great power will not make any man free from danger. (BBE)

      James 1:5

      5) If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. (KJV)

      5If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. (NIV)

      1:5 But if any man among you is without wisdom, let him make his request to God, who gives freely to all without an unkind word, and it will be given to him. (BBE)

      Bottom line is this -- if we repent, and obey God, and ask Him for His wisdom, He will give it to us. He will do this for us corporately as well, and spare us, as a nation, from the judgment we deserve, because we have turned away from Him.

      Prayer for the Day:

      Dear Heavenly Father,  Thank You for Your protection and blessing upon us in this land. Forgive us for the many ways in which we have failed You and sinned against You. Lord, I am reminded of Psalms 20:7 which says,  "Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God." Dear Lord, I voice my trust in You, and declare that we shall be delivered as a nation!  Bring revival to our land and heal us.  Work in my own heart, and give me a more sacrificing spirit that will give up things I want to do and do only Your will. Let revival begin in me.  I ask this in the name of the Lord, Jesus Christ. Amen.

      Keep each other in PrAyer and display HuMility.  Have a BlEssed day and stay ENcourage.

      God is Good All the Time!!!

      Scripture Of The Day and Daily Devotional are sent out Daily via email.  If you would like to add any of your family members or friends to this distribution list, just reply to the email address listed below with their full email address and they will start receiving the Word Of God in the future.  If you want your email address remove from this distribution list, please reply to the email address listed below requesting for your email address to be removed.  Thank you.

      Stay Blessed,

      Riley

      pass_the_word@...