Re: [Zeitun-eg.org] Fr Matta El-Meskeen: TIME Magazine Archive Article -- Egypt's Copts in Crisis -- Sep. 28, 1981

  • William Hanna
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 28, 2006
      Dear ALL:

      1. Fr. Matta was misquoted by TIME magazine. The misquoting is putting things out of context and literal translation, very common in heated political situations. The news midea more often than not created conflict to "sell newspaper"

      2. The feelings in these words were not the feelings of Fr. Matta alone, these were the feelings of many Coptic Christians 25 years ago. Many of th ereaders were not even born. I was there. I was going back and forth between the US and Egpt. This type of statement was common in Egypt at the time. The editor of Watani at the time who also was killed on October 5, 1981 Mr. ... Younan was at the presidential palace many times advising against HH. He had a long record of speaking against HHPS III. This is in political memoirs of political leaders at the time.

      3. Fr. Matta was not the only Copt who was meeting with the presiden, usually there presence requested by the republican palace ('quasr al-gamhoury). The names of the five were the names of the most prominent bishops at the time.

      4. When the idea of a committee of 5 was presented to HH with the alternative that Al-azhar runs the affairs of the Church, HH indicated that it was better that way and he was informed where he was to stay and HH travelled to the monastery of Anba Bishoy days before it was announced on the Radio in a heated, ugly speech by Sadaat.

      5. In the USA 25 out of 28 priests met in Detroit under the leadership of His Grace Bishop Antonius Morcos to announce accepting the 5 committee. Three priests only refused to be part of the agreement: Fr. Ibrahim Aziz, Fr. Antonius Hennein, and the Martyr Fr. Morcos of Escete (Morcos el-asquiyty, then a young monk from Kenya). Fr. Morcos was killed by one bullet to the temple (forehead) and his body was stuffed in the trunk of his car in Huoston. Fr. Morcos body was found 2 years later and the FBI report indicated that he was kidnapped from the priests residence of the Church in huoston (He was the priest of St. Mark) and was killed execution style by paid assasins 30 miles outside Husoston and his body stuffed in the trunk of the car. No body remembers the African martyr and some were spreading lies and rumors instead of honoring a courageous little man from Africa who not only entered the Orthodox faith but was more loyal to HHPS III than many native Coptic Christians.

      6. HH the Pope forgave all that went against him or not supported him including the 25 priests who went along with the 5 committee and the supposedly the committee of 5. The only one that remained black listed was Fr. Matta.

      7. Christianity is based on love and forgiveness. We call the clergy Fathers and the Pope Father of the Fathers. How can any clergy hold grudges for life? You don't forgive your children? unbelievable.

      Lord Have Mercy. God Bless us all.

      William Hanna

      arbible <mnkamel@...> wrote:
      Medina, Sara. "Egypt's Copts in Crisis." ''TIME Magazine Archive Article'' 28 Sep. 1981. 27 Jun. 2006. < http://time-proxy.yaga.com/time/archive/printout/0,23657,953135,00.html > - Resource added to http://www.orthodoxwiki.org/Matta_El-Meskeen#Sources

      Religion
      Egypt's Copts in Crisis
      By
      SARA MEDINA
      Monday, Sep. 28, 1981
      The oldest Christian community fights for a tenuous security
      When Egyptian President Anwar Sadat cracked down two weeks ago on religious militants who oppose his regime, one of his targets was the Coptic Orthodox Church, the ancient Christian community that has survived in Egypt since its establishment by the Apostle Mark in the 1st century A.D. Sadat abruptly stripped the Coptic Pope, Shenouda III, of his authority, banished him to a desert monastery, and ordered the arrest of some 125 Coptic clergy and lay activists. The world was shocked, but many members of the church hierarchy were considerably relieved. For at least a year, they had been concerned that the Pope's controversial leadership was leading the Christian community into serious trouble with Egypt's newly assertive Muslim majority. The climate of sectarian strife had resulted in several violent incidents in the past three months, including three days of communal rioting in a Cairo slum housing project that caused at least 17 deaths.
      Father Matta el Meskin, one of Egypt's most influential Coptic clergymen, told TIME Correspondent Robert C. Wurmstedt last week, "I can't say I'm happy, but I am at peace now. Every morning I was expecting news of more bloody collisions. Sadat's actions protect the church and the Copts. They are from God."
      From God they may have come, but Matta played a large part in their shaping. The abbot of St. Macarius monastery near Cairo, Matta was summoned to Alexandria by Sadat a week before the crackdown. Sadat and Matta discussed ways of defusing the looming crisis. Sadat asked Matta how far he could push Shenouda. The abbot says he outlined Sadat's limits in dealing with the Pope. When the ouster was decided on, it was Matta who submitted the names of five bishops who would collectively take over the Pope's functions.
      Shenouda, 58, crowned ten years ago, was educated as a teacher. He served as an army officer in the 1948 Arab-Israeli war and was then trained by Matta in the 1950s to become a monk. Shenouda, says Matta, is the best educated Pope in church history. But, he adds, "Shenouda's appointment was the beginning of the trouble. The mind replaced inspiration, and planning replaced prayer. For the first years I prayed for him, but I see the church is going from bad to worse because of his behavior."
      Shenouda has led a religious revival that fostered the ethnic identity of Egypt's Copts as a nation separate from, and older than, the Muslim majority. Indeed, many Copts feel that they, and not the Arabized Muslims, are the true Egyptians, the descendants of the pharaohs. As they are quick to point out, "Copt" is the Arabi-cized, then Europeanized, form of the Greek word for Egyptian. Although the Coptic language is used today only in the church's liturgy, it was the language of Egypt until the 13th century.
      Shenouda aggressively resisted the increasing Islamization of the country: in 1977, for example, he called on Copts to undertake a four-day fast to protest proposed legislation that would make it a capital crime to renounce Islam. The bill threatened Christians who convert to Islam to avoid stringent Coptic divorce laws, then apostatize once proceedings are over. The bill was shelved. He also complained often and bitterly that the government did not do enough to protect Copts from violent persecution by Muslim fanatics. Last year, after a reported series of church burnings, attacks on clergymen and forced conversions, Shenouda canceled all Easter celebrations except religious services and boycotted Holy Week rites. That spring, President Sadat alleges, he encouraged the 100,000 Copts living in the U.S. to stage embarrassing demonstrations during Sadat's visit to Washington and New York City. Increasingly angered by Shenouda's actions, Sadat, who has tried hard to cultivate good relations with his country's Christians, accused the "new leadership" of the Coptic church of engaging in a "conspiracy" to blacken his name and the image of Egypt's Muslims.
      Shenouda's confrontational activities coincided with a marked increase in Islamic fervor and militancy among the country's Muslims, and in the wake of the violent incidents this spring and summer, some Copts began to fear for their physical safety. As Matta puts it: "All of us are in this dilemma, [because] Muslims feel Shenouda is a threat to Islam and the Koran. He was working against the line of the government and moderate Muslims." Most Copts feel that Shenouda's ouster is a tolerable price to pay for communal peace.
      This is not the first time the Copts, the world's oldest organized Christian body, have walked a tricky tightrope. In the church's first centuries, the Patriarchate of Alexandria, with its eminent school of theology, was second only to Rome as the major see of the early church. In the mid-5th century, however, the Coptic church defied orthodox Christian teaching by adhering to the so-called Monophysite heresy, the belief that Jesus Christ had one nature that mystically united his humanity and divinity, rather than two distinct natures, human and divine. Schism ensued, and Coptic Christians were persecuted under the Byzantine Empire.
      After the Arab conquest of 641, the Copts resisted the onslaught of Islam for two centuries. But as a result of periodic cycles of persecution under successive Muslim conquerors, and waves of immigration from Arabia, the Copts were reduced from a majority to a minority. Today, according to official census figures, they constitute less than 10% of Egypt's 43 million population (Copts complain, however, that they are systematically undercounted). They are the largest Christian entity in any Middle Eastern country, with small communities in the U.S. and Canada, South Africa, Australia and other countries.
      Given the area's background of sectarian violence, the possibility that the Copts could be swept under by a tide of Islamic fundamentalism seems less remote than before. But the Copts have shown a gift for survival. As one elderly Copt puts it:
      "To be a Copt is to be threatened, but we bear the cross proudly among the Muslims and we are ready to die for it." —By Sara Medina. Reported by Nathaniel Harrison and Robert C Wurmstedt/Cairo

      Copyright © 2006 Time Inc. All rights reserved.

    • arbible
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 12 10:02 AM
        Same with H.E. Anba Mikhail of Assiut:
        ÈáÛ ****** ÇáÓÇÏÇÊ ãÏÇå ¡ Åäå ÈÚÏ ÞÑÇÑå ÈäÝì ÇáÈØÑß Åäå äÔÑ ÃÎÈÇÑÇ
        Ýì ÇáÌÑíÏÉ ÇáÑÓãíÉ ááÏæáÉ æÝì ÇáÕÝÍÉ ÇáÃæáí ßÊÈ : ãØÑÇä ÃÓíæØ
        íÔßÑ ÇáÑÆíÓ áÞÑÇÑå ÇáÍßíã ÈÚÒá ÇáÈÇÈÇ !!! ÈíäãÇ ßÇä ãØÑÇä ÂÓíæØ íÈßì
        æíÕáì ãä ÃÌá ãÍäÉ ÇáßäíÓÉ æÓÌä 12 ÃÓÞÝÇ æ24 ßÇåäÇ !!!

        æááÃÓÝ ÝÅä ÈÚÖ ÇáÃÞÈÇØ ÕÏÞ åÐÇ ÇáßÐÈ áãÌÑÏ Åäå ãßÊæÈ Ýì ÇáÅåÑÇã
        æãÇ ßÇä ãä Çáããßä áÓíÏäÇ ÃäÈÇ ãíÎÇÆíá Ãä íßÐÈ ãÇäÔÑ Ãæ íÍÊÌ áÃä
        ÇáÓÇÏÇÊ ßÇä Ýí ÍÇáÉ åíÌÇä æÔíØÇäå ßÇä ÚÇÕì Þæí æßÇä áÇÈÏ ãä ÊÏÎá ÇáÓãÇÁ
        !!!

        æÊÏÎá Çááå Ýí 6 ÃßÊæÈÑ 1981 æßÇä íæã ÃÑÈÚíä ÇáÓÇÏÇÊ åæ íæã 14 äæÝãÈÑ ¡
        ÚíÏ ÌáæÓ ÞÏÇÓÉ ÇáÈÇÈÇ ÇáãÚÙã ÃäÈÇ ÔäæÏÉ ÇáËÇáË ÍÝÙå Çááå

        Quoted from ãäÊÏí ÇáÞÑÇÁ - Copts-United
        --- In arbible@yahoogroups.com, William Hanna <waziz_laziz@...> wrote:

> [...]
        world was shocked, but many members of the church hierarchy were
        considerably relieved. For at least a year, they had been concerned
        that the Pope's controversial leadership was leading the Christian
        community into serious trouble with Egypt's newly assertive Muslim
        majority. The climate of sectarian strife had resulted in several
        violent incidents in the past three months, including three days of
        communal rioting in a Cairo slum housing project that caused at least
        17 deaths.
        > Father Matta el Meskin, one of Egypt's most influential Coptic
        clergymen, told TIME Correspondent Robert C. Wurmstedt last week, "I
        can't say I'm happy, but I am at peace now. Every morning I was
        expecting news of more bloody collisions. Sadat's actions protect the
        church and the Copts. They are from God."
        their shaping. The abbot of St. Macarius monastery near Cairo, Matta
        was summoned to Alexandria by Sadat a week before the crackdown.
        Sadat and Matta discussed ways of defusing the looming crisis. Sadat
        asked Matta how far he could push Shenouda. The abbot says he
        outlined Sadat's limits in dealing with the Pope. When the ouster was
        decided on, it was Matta who submitted the names of five bishops who
        would collectively take over the Pope's functions.