Resources to Protect Christians Online

  • amytechmission
    Message 1 of 1 , May 15, 2006
      As pornography and online safety is such a big issue these days, I
      wanted to pass along a website that I thought you might be interested
      in called http://www.safefamilies.org The website has great
      materials for pastors, parents and those struggling with pornography
      addiction. In addition, they provide free Internet filtering software
      that you can use to protect your children.

      James Dobson of Focus on the Family recently called Internet
      pornography, "The new crack cocaine." Some recent stats show that he
      isn't too far off.
      • A 1996 Promise Keepers survey at one of their stadium events
      revealed that over 50% of the men in attendance were involved with
      pornography within one week of the event.
      • 51% of pastors say cyber-porn is a possible temptation. 37% say it
      is a current struggle (Christianity Today, Leadership Survey, 12/2001).
      • Over half of evangelical pastors admits viewing pornography last
      year (www.crosswalk.com/faith/1224369.html).
      • 57% of pastors say that addiction to pornography is the most
      sexually damaging issue to their congregation (Christians and Sex
      Leadership Journal Survey, March 2005).
      • 34% of female readers of Today's Christian Woman's online newsletter
      admitted to intentionally accessing Internet and 1 out of every 6
      women, including Christians, struggles with an addiction to pornography.
      • 9 out of 10 children between the ages of 8 and 16 have viewed
      pornography on the Internet (London School of Economics January 2002).
      • Adult industry says traffic is 20-30% children (NRC Report 2002, 3.3).
      • 1 in 5 children who use chat rooms have been approached by a
      pedophile online (Telegraph.co.uk. 1/02).
      • The Internet was a significant factor in 2 out of 3 divorces,
      according to the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers in 2003
      (Divorcewizards.com).

      Because this is a major issue affecting the Christian community,
      please forward this announcement to other e-mail lists or folks you
      know. Anyway, I hope this helps.