Orthodox patriarch hopeful about Pope's November visit

  • arbible
    Message 1 of 1 , May 15 1:49 PM
      Orthodox patriarch hopeful about Pope's November visit

      May. 15 (CWNews.com) - A November trip to Turkey by Pope Benedict
      XVI (bio - news) will be "an important step in the progress of
      ecumenical dialogue," according to the Orthodox Patriarch of
      Constantinople.

      Patriarch Bartholomew I told an audience in Florence, Italy, that
      the Ecumenical patriarchate awaits Pope Benedict "with great joy."
      The Orthodox prelate said that after 25 years of ecumenical work,
      the future is hopeful if Christians continue "to work, to have
      patience, and to pray."

      Patriarch Bartholomew said that the Orthodox Church is also
      committed to discussions with other religious traditions, and
      particularly with the other "sons of Abraham," Jews and Muslims. He
      expressed misgivings about raising specific theological disputes,
      but said that better understanding can be built upon common
      approaches to social questions, "independently of our religious
      faiths."

      Pope Benedict is scheduled to visit Turkey from November 28 to 30,
      to join the Bartholomew I in celebrating the feast of St. Andrew,
      the patron of the Constantinople patriarchate. The Ecumenical
      Patriarch had invited the Pontiff to make the trip last year, and
      Benedict XVI had accepted that invitation, but the visit was
      postponed because the government of Turkey did not approve the visit
      in 2005.