Moscow Patriarchate 'Retires' Bishop Basil

  • arbible
    Message 1 of 1 , May 15, 2006
      http://www.dioceseinfo.org/

      Decrees of His Holiness Alexis II, Patriarch of Moscow
      and All Russia, read by Archbishop Innokentii of
      Korsun after the Divine Liturgy at the Cathedral of
      the Dormition and All Saints, Ennismore Gardens,
      London, 14 May 2006

      Bishop Basil has been released from his duties as
      Administrator of the Diocese of Sourozh and sent into
      retirement. [He remains a bishop of the Moscow
      Patriarchate.]

      He is forbidden to join another Patriarchate until a
      commission headed by Archbishop Innokentii has
      completed its investigation into recent events in the
      Diocese of Sourozh. All will be welcome to express
      their views.

      Archbishop Innokentii is now head of the Diocese of
      Sourozh
      * * * * *

      Reply by Bishop Basil after the decrees had been read:

      Your Eminence, dear Vladyko,

      May I express my personal respect for you and the
      affection I have felt for you ever since we first met,
      I believe, in 1995 or 1996 at the Department for
      External Church Relations in Moscow. It is a pleasure
      to have you here at our London cathedral.

      I must say, however, that I believe the present decree
      is not based on a consideration of all relevant
      evidence, and that I am therefore appealing at once to
      the Ecumenical Patriarch on the basis of Canons 9 and
      17 of the Fourth Ecumenical Council.

      The Moscow Patriarchate has issued an Ukase of involuntary
      retirement (read in
      the London cathedral today 14 May) for Bishop Basil (Osborne) of the
      Sourozh
      Diocese of Great Britain and Ireland

      Anybody with an interest in understanding what has been happening in
      Great
      Britain with the Moscow Diocese (Sourozh) and its locum tenens
      Bishop Basil
      Osborne (an American, btw), can review the exchange of letters
      between the
      Bishop and the Russian Patriarch as well as Bishop's Basil's
      explanatory
      messages to his clergy

      http://www.dioceseinfo.org/

      The correspondence opens on 24 April:

      Bishop Basil: Letter to His Holiness Alexis, Patriarch of Moscow and
      All Russia,

      Bishop Basil: Letter to Clergy and Diocesan Assembly, 1 May 2006

      Information Sheet: 1 May 2006

      Letter of His Holiness Patriarch Alexis II of Moscow and All Russia
      to Bishop
      Basil, 5 May 2006

      Letter of Bishop Basil to the Clergy and Diocesan Assembly, 9 May
      2006

      Open letter from a parishioner, 11 May 2006

      Photo of Bishop Kallistos (Ware) and Bishop Basil (Osborne)
      England's two convert Bishops
      http://www.iocs.cam.ac.uk/images/bishops.jpg