21 Oct 01 Update: Thankfulness and Gratefulness

  • Zeitun-eg.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 18 12:28 PM
      Zephaniah 1:15-17 That day is a day of wrath, a day of trouble and distress, a day of devastation and desolation, a day of darkness and gloominess, a day of clouds and thick darkness, a day of trumpet and alarm against the fortified cities and against the high towers. "I will bring distress upon men, and they shall walk like blind men, because they have sinned against the LORD; their blood shall be poured out like dust, and their flesh like refuse."
      Malachi 3:10 Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, That there may be food in My house, And try Me now in this," Says the LORD of hosts, "If I will not open for you the windows of heaven And pour out for you such blessing That there will not be room enough to receive it."

      Contents at a Glance   >>>>>

      + Strength Against Slander (+ Reading from Isaiah 50)
      + Thankfulness and Gratefulness
      + Why God Didn't Give Job Double Children? (+ Reading from Isaiah 41)
      + Pope St. Kyrillos VI Prayer (from "Harbour of Salvation" magazine)
      + The Popes' Wednesday's Audiences (17 Oct 01)
      + From the Catholic Internet Yellow Pages: Birth Regulation, Bioethics & Homosexuality

      Strength Against Slander    >>>>>

      Excerpt from "The Imitation of Christ" by Thomas à Kempis, c. 1380-1471
      (for biography see: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14661a.htm)
      The Voice of Christ: MY CHILD, do not take it to heart if some people think badly of you and say unpleasant things about you. You ought to think worse things of yourself and to believe that no one is weaker than yourself. Moreover, if you walk in the spirit you will pay little heed to fleeting words. It is no small prudence to remain silent in evil times, to turn inwardly to Me, and not to be disturbed by human opinions. Do not let your peace depend on the words of men. Their thinking well or badly of you does not make you different from what you are. Where are true peace and glory? Are they not in Me? He who neither cares to please men nor fears to displease them will enjoy great peace, for all unrest and distraction of the senses arise out of disorderly love and vain fear.
      A Reading from the Prophet Isaiah Chapter 50:
                7"For the Lord GOD will help Me;
              Therefore I will not be disgraced;
              Therefore I have set My face like a flint,
              And I know that I will not be ashamed.
              8He is near who justifies Me;
              Who will contend with Me?
              Let us stand together.
              Who is My adversary?
              Let him come near Me.
              9Surely the Lord GOD will help Me;
              Who is he who will condemn Me?
              Indeed they will all grow old like a garment;
              The moth will eat them up.
              10"Who among you fears the LORD?
              Who obeys the voice of His Servant?
              Who walks in darkness
              And has no light?
              Let him trust in the name of the LORD
              And rely upon his God.
              11Look, all you who kindle a fire,
              Who encircle yourselves with sparks:
              Walk in the light of your fire and in the sparks you have kindled--
              This you shall have from My hand:
              You shall lie down in torment.

      Thankfulness and Gratefulness    >>>>>

      Always give thanks to the Lord! Give thanks for even the smallest things you take for granted. Stand still and trust God anyway. Wait patiently for Him to deliver you, knowing that all things (even those apparently bad) work for the good of those who love God and obey His commandments. He will deliver you in His own time and ways, which are always the best. He cares for you. To pick up our cross and follow Jesus means to thankfully relinquish everything to Him, even the things we don't understand.
      Philippians 4:6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;

      1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

      Psalm 92:1 It is good to give thanks to the Lord, And to sing praises to Your name, O Most High.
      Luke 17:15-19 And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, returned, and with a loud voice glorified God, and fell down on his face at His feet, giving Him thanks. And he was a Samaritan. So Jesus answered and said, "Were there not ten cleansed? But where are the nine? Were there not any found who returned to give glory to God except this foreigner?" And He said to him, "Arise, go your way. Your faith has made you well." (cf. 2 Kings 5:14-17)
      From the Ordinary of the Catholic Mass:
      Father, all-powerful and ever-living God, we do well always and everywhere to give you thanks. In you we live and move and have our being. Each day you show us a Father's love; your Holy Spirit, dwelling within us, gives us on earth the hope of unending joy. Your gift of the Spirit, who raised Jesus from the dead, is the foretaste and promise of the paschal feast of heaven. With thankful praise, in company with the angels, we glorify the wonders of your power: Holy, holy, holy Lord, God of power and might, heaven and earth are full of Your glory. Hosanna in the highest. Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord. Hosanna in the highest.
      Related Links:
      Gratefulness.org: This site is founded on the assumption that gratefulness can transform our lives and lead to a joyful "happiness that doesn't depend on what happens". It is an antidote to the spiral of depression that is related to violence out of control.
      The Prayer of Thanksgiving from the Coptic Orthodox Agpeya (The Book of Hours)
      Why God Didn't Give Job Double Children?    >>>>>

      When we face trial and tragedy, we should bring our anger and all concerns to God. We might express our feelings in the words of Job or the words of the Psalmist in many Psalms such as Psalms 4, 5, 10, 13, 22. God accepts this and His broad shoulders can absorb all our anger. He is a very caring Father. There is an often overlooked encouragement in the Book of Job: God gave Job double everything he had lost except his children. Job's seven sons and three daughters were only replaced, not doubled. Why? Because his earlier children were never really lost! (cf. Job 1:2,3 vs. Job 42:10-13) They will simply be rejoined together later in Heaven. Plus each one of us is unique and cannot be replaced. God knows us as individuals, and our relation with Him is personal. Be encouraged, then, God is in full control and He promises: "I will uphold you with My righteous right hand" (Isaiah 41:10).
      A Reading from the Prophet Isaiah Chapter 41:
              10Fear not, for I am with you;
              Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
              I will strengthen you,
              Yes, I will help you,
              I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.'
              11"Behold, all those who were incensed against you
              Shall be ashamed and disgraced;
              They shall be as nothing,
              And those who strive with you shall perish.
              12You shall seek them and not find them--
              Those who contended with you.
              Those who war against you
              Shall be as nothing,
              As a nonexistent thing.
              13For I, the LORD your God, will hold your right hand,
              Saying to you, "Fear not, I will help you.'

      Pope St. Kyrillos VI Prayer    >>>>>

      Following is a prayer of Pope St. Kyrillos VI (Kyrollos or Cyril the Sixth), 116th Pope of Alexandria and See of St. Mark (Coptic Orthodox Patriarch), whose papacy has been marked by the unprecedented Apparitions of the Blessed Holy Virgin Mary in Zeitun, Egypt. The prayer first appeared in "Harbour of Salvation" magazine that was published by Pope Kyrillos VI while he was still a monk at El-Baramous Monastery in Egypt. He used to write the issues of this magazine by his own hand and send them to his beloved ones.
      O' great Lord, who in your hands lie all matters, and who made for everything its due time. You from whom comes every good offer, and every complete gift, who always teach us and guide us as you promised us saying "I will teach you, I will guide you, I will show you the way, my eye is upon you." So, we truly thank you Lord, for your abundant mercy and plentiful giving which you bestow on us from time to time. Truly our great Saviour, you taught us a useful lesson, that it is not by our endeavours, or mediators or depending leaders and human beings we reach what we want but through depending on you and hoping in you alone. As, when you want, you can facilitate everything, and make our enemies come eager to our help. We thank you from all our hearts for this great gift asking your kindness to strengthen our faith in you. Help us fulfill our duties towards you, keep away every unpleasantness, save us from the evil enemy. For to you is the glory, the power, the respect with your Good Father and the Holy Spirit, the Comforter, for now and forever and unto all ages. Amen.
      (The above prayer is based on St. Paul's words to the Ephesians 3:20 "Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us." Original in Arabic. Translated by Pope Kyrillos VI Sons.)
      Related Link:
      Pope St. Kyrillos VI Web Gallery
      The Popes' Wednesday's Audiences    >>>>>

      Pope John Paul II Wednesday's Audience (17 October 2001)
      Good, not evil, has the last word; God triumphs over the hostile powers, even when they seem great and invincible. (On Psalm 47)
      Coptic Orthodox Pope Shenouda III Wednesday's Audience (17 October 2001)
      And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)
      Birth Regulation, Bioethics & Homosexuality    >>>>>

      Source: Catholic Internet Yellow Pages - mostly Catholic links
      OTTAWA, Oct 17, 01 (CWNews.com/LSN.ca) - A study published in the latest issue of the Canadian Medical Association Journal finds that the birth control pill is linked to a 20-30% increased risk of bone fractures.
      It is very sad to learn that last week Governor Gray Davis has signed legislation extending a dozen rights enjoyed by married couples to more than 16,000 registered homosexual and domestic partners in California, USA. Zeitun-eg.org hopes that the following links will help its readers appreciate and present the Church views and teachings concerning these issues. Remember God hates sin (see Romans 1:27, 28), but He loves sinners and died for them on the cross.
      "Homosexuality & Hope," a free book from the Catholic Medical Association
      Courage is an apostolate of the Roman Catholic church whose purpose is to minister to those with same-sex attractions and their loved ones. They are the only such organisation in the Catholic church approved by the Vatican.
      Useful Contact: The Pontifical Council for Pastoral Assistance to Health Care Workers

      Luke 13:2-5 And Jesus answered and said to them, "Do you suppose that these Galileans were worse sinners than all other Galileans, because they suffered such things? I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish. Or those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them, do you think that they were worse sinners than all other men who dwelt in Jerusalem? I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish."
      John 8:10 When Jesus had raised Himself up and saw no one but the woman, He said to her, "Woman, where are those accusers of yours? Has no one condemned you?" She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said to her, "Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more."
      Bonus Link - God's Love Net (Arabic): http://www.godislove.f2s.com
      Glory be to Jesus Christ.

      In Christ's everlasting love, joy and peace (the fruits of the Holy Spirit),
      --Zeitun-eg.org (
      Our Lady of Zeitun Online/The Holy Bible Web Site - 1996-2001)
      Zeitun-eg.org is an interdenominational ministry.

      This message is permanently stored at:
      To subscribe, send e-mail to:
      To unsubscribe, send e-mail to: