2 Dec 01 Update: "Saint of the Gutters"/Confidence in Christ/Give Thanks/Shine Jesus Shine

  • Zeitun-eg.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 27, 2001
      Ecclesiastes 3:1 To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven

      Isaiah 9:1 Nevertheless, there will be no more gloom for those who were in distress. Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Genesis 41:51 Joseph named his firstborn Manasseh and said, "It is because God has made me forget all my trouble and all my father's household." Job 42:12 The LORD blessed the latter part of Job's life more than the first. Jeremiah 31:11 For the LORD has redeemed Jacob, And ransomed him from the hand of one stronger than he. Psalm 81:6 I removed his shoulder from the burden; His hands were freed from the baskets.

      Romans 14:4 Who are you to judge another's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand.

      Hebrews 6:10 For God is not unjust to forget your work and labour of love which you have shown toward His name, in that you have ministered to the saints, and do minister.

      Contents at a Glance   >>>>>

      + Quotations from Mother Teresa, "Saint of the Gutters"
      + Confidence in Jesus
      + Give Thanks/Shine Jesus Shine (Lyrics, RealAudio and MIDI)
      + Excerpts from "The Imitation of Christ"
      + True Religion
      + St. John Chrysostom On Fasting
      +
      The Popes' Wednesday's Audiences (28 Nov 01)

      Quotations from Mother Teresa, "Saint of the Gutters"    >>>>>

      Mother Teresa (1910-1997) is an Albanian´┐Żborn Roman Catholic missionary. She is the famous "Saint of the Gutters" who has devoted her life to caring for lepers and poor in India; awarded the 1979 Nobel Peace Prize.

      We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature--trees, flowers, grass- grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence... We need silence to be able to touch souls.

      When Christ said: "I was hungry and you fed me," he didn't mean only the hunger for bread and for food; he also meant the hunger to be loved. Jesus himself experienced this loneliness. He came amongst his own and his own received him not, and it hurt him then and it has kept on hurting him. The same hunger, the same loneliness, the same having no one to be accepted by and to be loved and wanted by. Every human being in that case resembles Christ in his loneliness; and that is the hardest part, that's real hunger.

      Pride destroys everything. To imitate Jesus is the key to be meek and humble in heart.

      If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.

      I do not think I have any special qualities. I don't claim anything for the work. It is His work. I am like a little pencil in His hand, that is all.

      He does the thinking.
      He does the writing.

      The pencil has nothing to do with it. The pencil has only to be allowed to be used.

      Often you see small and big wires, new and old, cheap and expensive electric cables that are useless, for until the current passes through them, there will be no light.

      The wires are you and me, the current is God. We have the power to let the current pass through us - to use us - or refuse to be used and allow darkness to spread.

      I don't know what God is doing. He knows.  We do not understand, but of one thing I'm sure,  He doesn't make a mistake.

      God has created us to love and to be loved, and this is the beginning of prayer--to know that he loves me, that I have been created for greater things.

      When I was crossing into Gaza, I was asked at the checkpost whether I was carrying any weapons. I replied: Oh yes, my prayer books.

      Once a beggar came to me and said: "Everyone is giving you something. I also want to give you something." And he offered me a ten-paisa coin.

      If I accepted the money, he would go hungry, but if I didn't, he would be unhappy. I accepted it.

      And I felt within me, that his gift was greater than the Nobel Prize because he gave all that he had. I could see in his face the joy of giving.

      In Calcutta, there are visible homes for the dying. In other countries, many of the young are in homes of the dying which are invisible.

      Speaking of the parable of the prodigal son, a boy in New York told me, "In my family, it is not the son who left us - its the father."

      There are parents also, although they take care of material needs, are in fact totally absent in the eyes of their children.

      Once the longing for money comes, the longing also comes for what money can give - superfluous things. Our needs will increase, for one thing leads to another and the result will be needless dissatisfaction.

      It is not a sin to be rich. When it provokes avarice, it becomes a sin. Richness is given by God and it is our duty to divide it with those less favoured.

      I think we should teach our children to love one another at home. They can only learn this only from their father and mother, when they see the parent's love for one another.

      I remember my mother, my father and the rest of us praying together each evening. It is God's greatest gift to the family. It maintains family unity. So go back to family prayer and teach your children to pray and pray with them. Through prayer you will find out what God wants you to do.

      Joy is love, the normal result of a heart burning with love. Joy is a need and a physical power. Our lamp will be burning with sacrifices made out of love if we have joy.

      Keep the joy of loving God in your heart and share this joy with all you meet, especially your family. Be holy--let us pray.

      There is no greater sickness in the world today than the lack of love.

      People who love each other fully and truly are the happiest people in the world. They may have little, they may have nothing, but they are happy people. Everything depends on how we love one another.

      What a shame if one of our brothers and sisters dies of hunger because of our neglect and selfishness. We will never feel what the poor feel, because we do not have to worry about our next meal, about our clothes, our comforts, we have them all in abundance.

      Love means to share with others.

      I see God in every human being. When I wash the leper's wounds, I feel I am nursing the Lord himself. Is it not a beautiful experience?

      If we really want to love we must learn how to forgive.

      Intense love does not measure; it just gives.

      Give until it hurts.

      I have found the paradox that if I love until it hurts, then there is no hurt, but only more love.

      God loves a cheerful giver. She or he gives best who gives with a smile.

      We can do no great things; only small things with great love.

      It is not how much we do, but how much love we put in the doing. It is not how much we give, but how much love we put in the giving.

      Only in heaven will we see how much we owe to the poor for helping us to love God better because of them.

      Speak tenderly to them. Let there be kindness in your face, in your eyes, in your smile, in the warmth of your greeting. Always have a cheerful smile. Don't only give your care, but give your heart as well.

      Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless.

      The dying, the cripple, the mental, the unwanted, the unloved--they are Jesus in disguise.

      We may wonder whom Can I  love and serve? Where is the face of God to whom I can pray? The answer is simple. That naked one. That lonely one. That unwanted one is my brother and my sister. If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.

      The more you have, the more you are occupied, the less you give. But the less you have the more free you are. Poverty for us is a freedom. It is not a mortification, a penance. It is joyful freedom. There is no television here, no this, no that. But we are perfectly happy.

      The poor give us much more than we give them. They're such strong people, living day to day with no food. and they never curse, never complain. We don't have to give them pity or sympathy. We have so much to learn from them.

      What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But if that drop was not in the ocean, I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop. I do not agree with the big way of doing things.

      Do not allow yourselves to be disheartened by any failure as long as you have done your best.

      God doesn't require us to succeed; he only requires that you try.

      Do not wait for leaders; do it alone, person to person.

      People are often unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered; forgive them anyway. If you are kind, People may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; be kind anyway. If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies; succeed anyway. If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you; be honest and frank anyway. What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight; build anyway. If you find serenity and happiness, there may be jealousy; be happy anyway. The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow; do good anyway. Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough; give the world the best you've got anyway. You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and God; it was never between you and them anyway.

      James 2:15-17 Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

      Related Link:
      Mother Teresa of Calcutta
      http://www.tisv.be/mt/indmt.htm

      Confidence in Jesus    >>>>>

      By Oswald Chambers (1874-1917), a Scottish minister and teacher

      John 11:40 Jesus said to her, "Did I not say to you that if you would believe you would see the glory of God?"

      Can you trust Jesus Christ where your common sense cannot trust Him? Can you venture heroically on Jesus Christ's statements when the facts of your common-sense life shout - "It's a lie?" On the mount it is easy to say - 'Oh, yes, I believe God can do it'; but you have to come down into the demon-possessed valley and meet with facts that laugh ironically at the whole of your mount-of-transfiguration belief. Every time my programme of belief is clear to my own mind, I come across something that contradicts it. Let me say I believe God will supply all my need, and then let me run dry, with no outlook, and see whether I will go through the trial of faith, or whether I will sink back to something lower.

      Faith must be tested, because it can be turned into a personal possession only through conflict. What is your faith up against just now? The test will either prove that your faith is right, or it will kill it. "Blessed is he whosoever shall not be offended in Me." The final thing is confidence in Jesus. Believe steadfastly on Him and all you come up against will develop your faith. There is continual testing in the life of faith, and the last great test is death. May God keep us in fighting trim! Faith is unutterable trust in God, trust which never dreams that He will not stand by us.

      Job 2:9, 10 Then his wife said to him, "Do you still hold fast to your integrity? Curse God and die!" But he said to her, "You speak as one of the foolish women speaks. Shall we indeed accept good from God, and shall we not accept adversity?" In all this Job did not sin with his lips.

      Related Link:
      Oswald Chambers: My Utmost for His Highest
      http://www.myutmost.org/

      Give Thanks/Shine Jesus Shine    >>>>>

      Give Thanks

      Listen
      RealAudio
      MIDI

      Lyrics
      Give Thanks with a grateful heart
      Give thanks to the holy one
      Give thanks for he's given Jesus Christ, his son (Repeat)

      And now let the weak say I am strong
      Let the poor say I am rich
      Because of what the Lord has done for us
      Give Thanks (Repeat)

      Give thanks with a grateful heart,
      Give thanks to the Holy One,
      Give thanks -- because He's given
      Jesus Christ, His Son. (Repeat)

      Chorus
      And now, let the weak say, "I am strong,"
      Let the poor say, "I am rich,"
      Because of what the Lord has done for us;
      (Repeat Chorus)

      Give thanks,
      Give thanks.

      Lord, the light of Your love is shining,
      In the midst of the darkness, shining;
      Jesus, Light of the world, shine upon us,
      Set us free by the truth You now bring us,
      Shine on me, shine on me.

      Chorus
      Shine, Jesus, shine,
      Fill this land with the Father's glory;
      Blaze, Spirit, blaze,
      Set our hearts on fire.
      Flow, river, flow,
      Flood the nations with grace and mercy;
      Send forth Your word,
      Lord, and let there be light.

      Lord, I come to Your awesome presence,
      From the shadows into Your radiance;
      By the blood I may enter Your brightness,
      Search me, try me, consume all my darkness.
      Shine on me, shine on me.
      (Chorus)

      As we gaze on Your kingly brightness
      So our faces display Your likeness.
      Ever changing from glory to glory,
      Mirrored here may our lives tell Your story.
      Shine on me, shine on me.
      (Chorus)

      Excerpts from "The Imitation of Christ"    >>>>>

      By Thomas ´┐Ż Kempis, c. 1380-1471
      Biography: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14661a.htm

      Do not place much confidence in weak and mortal man, helpful and friendly though he be; and do not grieve too much if he sometimes opposes and contradicts you. Those who are with us today may be against us tomorrow, and vice versa, for men change with the wind. Place all your trust in God; let Him be your fear and your love. He will answer for you; He will do what is best for you.

      You have here no lasting home. You are a stranger and a pilgrim wherever you may be, and you shall have no rest until you are wholly united with Christ. Why do you look about here when this is not the place of your repose? Dwell rather upon heaven and give but a passing glance to all earthly things. They all pass away, and you together with them. Take care, then, that you do not cling to them lest you be entrapped and perish. Fix your mind on the Most High, and pray unceasingly to Christ.

      If you do not know how to meditate on heavenly things, direct your thoughts to Christ's passion and willingly behold His sacred wounds. If you turn devoutly to the wounds and precious stigmata of Christ, you will find great comfort in suffering, you will mind but little the scorn of men, and you will easily bear their slanderous talk.

      When Christ was in the world, He was despised by men; in the hour of need He was forsaken by acquaintances and left by friends to the depths of scorn. He was willing to suffer and to be despised; do you dare to complain of anything? He had enemies and defamers; do you want everyone to be your friend, your benefactor? How can your patience be rewarded if no adversity test it? How can you be a friend of Christ if you are not willing to suffer any hardship? Suffer with Christ and for Christ if you wish to reign with Him.

      Had you but once entered into perfect communion with Jesus or tasted a little of His ardent love, you would care nothing at all for your own comfort or discomfort but would rejoice in the reproach you suffer; for love of Him makes a man despise himself.

      True Religion

      Romans 12:17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.

      1 Thessalonians 5:15 Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else.

      1 Peter 3:9 Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing.

      Proverbs 20:22 Do not say, "I'll pay you back for this wrong!" Wait for the LORD, and he will deliver you.

      John Paul II once said: "God cannot be known by the one who sows hatred." Indeed, God is Love. We pray for the salvation of the lost, those who failed to recognise God's Love. Killing or irreversibly destroying a sinner (morally, socially or physically) won't save him/ her. We pray for the Christians held captives in Afghanistan for preaching Christianity and are currently facing the death penalty. Evil can't last, and everything is under God's control. If He permits suffering, it's for our good. Suffering was never His genuine intention; it's the result of sin and can be also at times a cure for it. He breaks and heals. Suffering sometimes affects the innocent, and I would say that those who know God suffer more in this world (cf. Christian martyrs). But again the end of a matter is better than its beginnings. God never forgets the pains and suffering of the faithful, having Himself suffered to save us. And we know that all things (even those apparently bad) work for the good of those who love God and obey His commandments. I always remember Joseph's story in Genesis.

      Vengeance and revenge should be kept for the Lord, our ruler. A true Christian doesn't wait for vengeance and revenge, doesn't rejoice when it happens (Proverbs 24:17 Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do not let your heart rejoice), but rather rejoices when the lost is found and a sinner is saved.

      Lord let us know how mortal we are; how death comes like a thief. Let us be well prepared. We are only immortal in You. Let us know how unimportant are all things we do compared to eternity. Let us do everything only in the context of our everlasting life in You.

      James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

      St. John Chrysostom On Fasting    >>>>>

      Do you fast? Give me proof of it by your works.
      If you see a poor man, take pity on him.
      If you see a friend being honoured, do not envy him.
      Do not let only your mouth fast, but also the eye and the ear and the feet and the hands and all the members of our bodies.
      Let the hands fast, by being free of avarice.
      Let the feet fast, by ceasing to run after sin.
      Let the eyes fast, by disciplining them not to glare at that which is sinful.
      Let the ear fast, by not listening to evil talk and gossip.
      Let the mouth fast from foul words and unjust criticism.
      For what good is it if we abstain from birds and fishes, but bite and devour our brothers?
      May He who came to the world to save sinners strengthen us to complete the fast with humility, have mercy on us and save us.

      Related Link:
      Download the Complete Early Church Fathers Collection for Windows
      http://www.zeitun-eg.org/ecfidx.htm

      The Popes' Wednesday's Audiences    >>>>>

      H.H. Pope John Paul II Wednesday's Audience (28 Nov 2001)
      http://www.zenit.org/ (Zenit.org full coverage in 6 languages)

      H.H. Coptic Orthodox Pope Shenouda III Wednesday's Audiences
      http://www.copticpope.org/ (Zipped RealAudio files - Arabic)

      Psalm 69:4 Those who hate me without a cause are more than the hairs of my head; they are mighty who would destroy me, being my enemies wrongfully; though I have stolen nothing, I still must restore it. 2 Chronicles 20:12 O our God, will You not judge them? For we have no power against this great multitude that is coming against us; nor do we know what to do, but our eyes are upon You."

      John 13:34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.

      Romans 8:31, 32 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things? 1 John 4:4 He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.

      Ruth 1:16, 17 But Ruth said: "Entreat me not to leave you, or to turn back from following after you; for wherever you go, I will go; and wherever you lodge, I will lodge; your people shall be my people, and your God, my God. Where you die, I will die, and there will I be buried. The LORD do so to me, and more also, if anything but death parts you and me."

      I heard this at the mass last week: "It's good to acknowledge and confess our sins, to ask for God's forgiveness and accept it (He surely grants it to repentant hearts), to forgive oneself (by accepting God's forgiveness through the Church), to also ask for forgiveness from others we did wrong to (it is then their problem if they don't forgive us), and finally to forgive others for any wrong they might have done to us (even if they don't apologise and ask us to forgive them), or otherwise God won't forgive us. Having vengeful and bitter feelings towards those who trespassed against us means we didn't actually forgive them and forget what they did to us as God wants us to do to be like Him."

      Bonus Link - Wedding Anniversary is Feast Day of Blessed: http://www.zenit.org/english/visualizza.phtml?sid=13135

      Glory be to Jesus Christ.

      In Christ's everlasting love, joy and peace (the fruits of the Holy Spirit),
      --Zeitun-eg.org (
      Our Lady of Zeitun Online/The Holy Bible Web Site - 1996-2001)
      Zeitun-eg.org is an interdenominational ministry.

      This message is permanently archived at:
      To subscribe, send e-mail to:
      arbible-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      To unsubscribe, send e-mail to:

      Do You Yahoo!?