A Moment with Mary

  • arbible
    Message 1 of 39 , Apr 1, 2006

      Sunday, April 2 - Saturday, April 8

      - April 02 - First Appearance at Zeitoun (Egypt, 1968) :
      Mary’s Amazing Appearances at Zeitoun (1)

      - April 03 - Our Lady of the Cross (Italy, 1490) :
      Mary’s Amazing Appearances at Zeitoun (II)

      - April 04 - Blessed Francisco of Fatima (Portugal, +1919) :
      This is the Heart that Loved Men so Much!

      - April 05 - Our Lady of Grace (Italy, 1897) :
      The Greatness of Mary’s Compassion

      - April 06 - Black Virgin of Mende (France, 1857) :
      And There She Stood

      - April 07 - Our Lady of Zyrovic (Lithuania, 1432) :
      Before Her Son’s Cross

      - April 08 - Our Lady of Basella (Italy, 1356) :
      Prayer to Our Lady of Sorrows

      April 02 - First Appearance at Zeitoun (Egypt, 1968)

      Mary’s Amazing Appearances at Zeitoun (1)

      A whole crowd saw the Virgin who appeared to them on top of the central dome of a Coptic church in Zeitoun, a working class district to the north of Cairo, Egypt, from April 2, 1968. The appearances, on Touman-Bay Street, lasted for long lengths of time, over a period of several years. One of the first witnesses, the Father Constantin Moussa, parish priest of the church in question, submitted an official report: “After this memorable evening, the Blessed Virgin appeared more than once and was seen by different people among whom Mr. Michel Soliman and his family who live opposite the church. On April 10, I myself saw the appearance. Her silhouette was like a golden light.”

      Those who saw the Virgin were not only Coptic, Catholic or Orthodox Christians, but Muslims, who even outnumbered them. Many people received miraculous cures and these events, known throughout Egypt, were the subject of countless pilgrimages, testimonies, investigations, official recognitions, a multitude of newspaper and magazine articles in the country for a number of years. The Blessed Virgin did not utter a single word. She came unexpectedly, usually at night, in different forms and clothing. The most spectacular appearances took place between April 27 and June 15, 1968. >From 1970, they were less frequent, approximately one per month.”

      Taken from “The Coptic World” and various articles

      Hail, Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you! Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.
      Amen.

      TOP

      April 03 - Our Lady of the Cross (Italy, 1490)

      Mary’s Amazing Appearances at Zeitoun (II)

      At the time of Mary’s appearances at Zeitoun, the faithful, except those who did not see her, observed that she was always gentle and often smiling, but also serious and sad. They were able to make out the features and even the expression on her face. She appeared at least once without a veil, her hair flowing down to her shoulders. She even appeared wearing a crown, and often luminous birds swooped around her. She almost always appeared as if bathed in a dazzling light, which often shone so brightly that it took several moments to make out her face in the midst of it.

      Different photographs took pictures of her; the film did not always capture what the eye could see, but there are photos nevertheless that clearly show Mary’s outline. It is estimated that, for the year of 1968 alone, the number of believers present averaged 50,000, and was as high as 100,000 on certain nights, as was reported on the front page of the Egyptian paper Al-Ahram on April 27, 1968.

      Taken from “The Coptic World” and various articles

      Hail, Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you! Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.
      Amen.

      TOP

      April 04 - Blessed Francisco of Fatima (Portugal, +1919)

      This is the Heart that Loved Men so Much!

      The Church invites us to attentively consider the depth of the love in the Passion of Jesus and the Compassion of Mary. “All you who pass this way, look and see: is any sorrow like the sorrow inflicted on me” (Lm 1:12). At the time of the great appearance of the Sacred Heart to Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque, in June 1675, Jesus declared: “Here is the Heart which loved me so much that it saved itself nothing to the point of becoming exhausted and consumed with love in testimonial to them. And for recognition I mainly receive only ingratitude.”

      Jesus also asked Margaret Mary to accompany Him in prayer each Thursday evening, for one hour, to take part in His anguish at Gethsemani. He said to her: “This is where I suffered the most, more than in all the remainder of my Passion (…); no creature can understand the degree of torments that I suffered then

      Hail, Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you! Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.
      Amen.

      TOP

      April 05 - Our Lady of Grace (Italy, 1897)

      The Greatness of Mary’s Compassion

      In defending his praise of the Virgin Mary, Saint Alphonsus quotes Saint Augustine, who declares: “that whatever we may say in praise of Mary is little in comparison with that which she deserves, on account of her dignity of Mother of God”; and moreover, the Church says, in the Mass appointed for her festivals, “Thou art happy, O sacred Virgin Mary, and most worthy of all praise.”

      Saint Ildephonsus felt that we could never exaggerate by stating that “Mary’s sorrows surpassed all the torments of the martyrs united.” Saint Anselm said that “all that the martyrs have suffered is next to nothing compared to the suffering of the Virgin Mary”. Saint Basil the Great adds: “As much as the sun surpasses the brilliance of the moon and the stars, so it is that Mary’s martyrdom surpasses all others”.

      St Alphonsus Liguori
      The Glories of Mary

      Hail, Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you! Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.
      Amen.

      TOP

      April 06 - Black Virgin of Mende (France, 1857)

      And There She Stood

      She was standing there, racked with distress. The wild darkness, blind, mute and terrifying, wept tears of distress all around Golgotha. O Christ, what a black day it was. Your final breath snuffed out the light. And there stood Your mother, near the gallows (...)

      Your mother, groaning at the foot of the dark cross, was consoled, shafts of light illuminating her shadow. And while her wild eyes wept tears of blood, she was overcome with joy as she whispered: “My Son is God! My Son is the Savior of the world”.

      Victor Hugo
      Contemplations

      Hail, Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you! Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.
      Amen.

      TOP

      April 07 - Our Lady of Zyrovic (Lithuania, 1432)

      Before Her Son’s Cross

      Mary, the mother of our Lord, was standing before her Son’s cross; none other than St John the Evangelist told me this.

      John told me how Jesus called His mother from the Cross. This is the testament of Christ on the Cross, and John witnessed it, a worthy witness of such a testament. A precious testament, that bequeaths not money, but eternal life; that is written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the Living God.

      And whilst the Apostles were fleeing, Mary stood at the foot of the Cross, and looked at her Son’s wounds with her Mother’s eyes, awaiting not the death of her beloved Son, but the salvation of the world.

      Saint Ambroise of Milano (+397)

      Hail, Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you! Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.
      Amen.

      TOP

      April 08 - Our Lady of Basella (Italy, 1356)

      Prayer to Our Lady of Sorrows

      O Most holy Virgin, Mother of our Lord Jesus Christ: by the overwhelming grief you experienced when you witnessed the martyrdom, the crucifixion, and the death of your divine Son, look upon me with eyes of compassion and awaken in my heart a tender compassion for those suffering, as well as a sincere detestation of my sins, in order that, being disengaged from all undue affections for the passing joys of this earth, I may long for the eternal Jerusalem, and that henceforth all my thoughts and all my actions may be directed toward this one most desirable object.

      Honor, glory, and love to our divine Lord Jesus, and to the holy and immaculate Mother of God.
      Amen.

      Hail, Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you! Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.
      Amen.

      TOP

       | Mary of Nazareth | Multimedia Gallery
       | The "Mary of Nazareth" Project | Forums
       | The Film « Ave Maria » | MdN Shop

      powered by phplist v 2.10.2, © tincan ltd
    • arbible
      Message 39 of 39 , Mar 12, 2007

        Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 3:22 PM
        Subject: A Moment with Mary

        Sunday, March 11 - Saturday, March 17

        - March 11 - Saint Sophronius of Jerusalem (+ 639)
        The Incarnation in the Virgin’s Womb

        - March 12 - Our Lady of Guadalupe (Spain, 580)
        The Woman Who Crushes the Serpent’s Head

        - March 13 - Our Lady of the Rose (Italy, 1635)
        Our Lady’s Rosary and Abundant Grace

        - March 14 - Our Lady of Kostroma or Fedor (Russsia)
        The Silence of the Holy Family (I)

        - March 15 - Our Lady of the Underground (France, Chartres, 911)
        The Silence of the Holy Family (II)

        - March 16 - Our Lady of the Fountain (Constantinople, 460)
        The Silence of the Holy Family (III)

        - March 17 - The Madonna of Ireland (1697) - Saint Patrick (+ 464)
        The Madonna’s Tears of Blood

        March 11 - Saint Sophronius of Jerusalem (+ 639)

        The Incarnation in the Virgin’s Womb

        Concerning the Incarnation, I believe that God the Word, the only Son of the Father, who was born before all centuries and ages, in the impassibility of same God and Father, who had taken pity on mankind out of His love for us and our fallen nature, came from His free movement, by the will of God who generated Him with the divine approval of the Holy Spirit; without leaving the heart of his Father, He came down towards our lowliness.

        According to the common will of the Father and Holy Spirit, and according to His nature and His infinite being, He knew no limits, ignored our successive ways of coming and going. He acted by nature in a divine manner, penetrating into the brilliant virginal purity of Mary’s womb; the holy and radiant Virgin, full of a divine wisdom, and free from any stain of the body, heart and spirit. He was incarnated; He, the incorporeal one, took our form. He, who, according to divine essence, was free from form, both inside and out, took a body like ours. He, the immaterial one, became truly man, without ceasing to be recognized as God.

        Saint Sophronius (+ 639)
        Patriarch of Jerusalem

        Hail, Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you! Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.
        Amen.

        TOP

        March 12 - Our Lady of Guadalupe (Spain, 580)

        The Woman Who Crushes the Serpent’s Head

        In 580 Pope Gregory the Great gave the statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe as a gift to Saint Leander, Bishop of Seville. Later, in the 8th century, due to Muslim invasions, this great religious treasure was buried for safe keeping in the earth, high in the Estremadura Mountains. This much-venerated statue of the Madonna and Child is said to have been carved by Saint Luke himself.

        After the overthrow of Moorish occupation, the image was uncovered in the year 1326, subsequent to an apparition of Our Lady to a humble shepherd by the name of Gil. Our Lady's very special statue was enshrined in a nearby Franciscan friary next to Wolf River. The Muslims, during their Spanish occupation, had given the river its name: the Arabic term for Wolf River is guadalupe (guada = river; lupe = wolf). Hence, the famous Catholic image in Spain has been known since the 14th century, by the Arabic name of “Our Lady of Guadalupe”.

        During her apparition in Mexico on December 9, 1531, it is believed that Our Lady used the Aztec word coatlaxopeuh, which is pronounced remarkably like the Spanish word guadalupe; meaning “serpent” and “to crush”. So it can be interpreted that Our Lady called herself the one “who crushes the serpent”. Certainly, in this case she did crush the serpent, and only a few years later millions of the natives were converted to Christianity and human sacrifices ended. Let us not forget to note Genesis 3:15, in which it is indicated that the woman would crush the serpent's head.

        Adapted from www.solt3.org/guadalupespain.htm

        Hail, Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you! Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.
        Amen.

        TOP

        March 13 - Our Lady of the Rose (Italy, 1635)

        Our Lady’s Rosary and Abundant Grace

        The Rosary, though clearly Marian in character, is at heart a Christocentric prayer. In the sobriety of its elements, it has all the depth of the Gospel message in its entirety, of which it can be said to be a compendium.

        It is an echo of the prayer of Mary, her perennial Magnificat for the work of the redemptive Incarnation which began in her virginal womb. With the Rosary, the Christian people sit at the school of Mary and are led to contemplate the beauty on the face of Christ and to experience the depths of his love.

        Through the Rosary the faithful receive abundant grace, as though from the very hands of the Mother of the Redeemer.

        Excerpt from Pope John Paul II,
        Apostolic Letter Rosarium Virginis Mariae, October 16, 2002, #1.

        Hail, Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you! Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.
        Amen.

        TOP

        March 14 - Our Lady of Kostroma or Fedor (Russsia)

        The Silence of the Holy Family (I)

        Tradition tells us that the three inhabitants of the Holy House of Nazareth almost never spoke.

        The sweet heavenly conversations, that we could believed to be a part of the life of the Holy Family, took place merely in our imagination, they did not exist. Silence reigned there deeper than in a loneliness of tears or a Cistercian monk’s monastery where the winds of the Alps howl through the corridors and shake the windows, while the rest of the house is quiet as a tomb.

        The words of Jesus were very rare, which is the reason why Mary kept them in her heart, like treasures, because they were as rare as they were precious. If we think about this, we will understand that it could hardly have been otherwise. God is very quiet.

        Excerpt from Frederic William Faber (1814-1863),
        The Foot of the Cross, 3rd Sorrow, (Le Pied de la Croix, 3° douleur)
        Paris, Ambroise Bray, 1858

        Hail, Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you! Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.
        Amen.

        TOP

        March 15 - Our Lady of the Underground (France, Chartres, 911)

        The Silence of the Holy Family (II)

        How could Mary not have been quiet? A creature who lived for such a long time with the Creator could not speak much; her heart was full, her soul was reduced to silence. She lived with Jesus for twelve long years, long years relatively speaking, bringing up her Child, yet these years went by like holy ecstasy for Mary, full of painful love. She carried Jesus in her arms. She watched over Jesus while He slept. She fed Him; she looked Him in the eyes. He continuously revealed His heart to her. She learned how to understand Him.

        All God’s similarities passed through Mary’s heart. We know to what extent God is quiet.

        Excerpt from Frederic William Faber (1814-1863),
        The Foot of the Cross, 3rd Sorrow, (Le Pied de la Croix, 3° douleur)
        Paris, Ambroise Bray, 1858

        Hail, Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you! Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.
        Amen.

        TOP

        March 16 - Our Lady of the Fountain (Constantinople, 460)

        The Silence of the Holy Family (III)

        Between the Creator and the creature, in a relationship such as the one that existed between Jesus and Mary, silence, better than the words, was a language.

        What more could words have done? What could they have said? They could not have carried the weight of the mother’s thoughts, let alone those of the Son. Speaking would have been an effort - a condescension - like descending a mountain, on behalf of Mary as well as Jesus.

        And why go down? Saint Joseph did not need to. He also remained quite high among the mountains of silence, so high that no voice, I might say that not even the softest echo from earth, could resound up to him.

        Excerpt from Frederic William Faber (1814-1863),
        The Foot of the Cross, 3rd Sorrow, (Le Pied de la Croix, 3° douleur)
        Paris, Ambroise Bray, 1858

        Hail, Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you! Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.
        Amen.

        TOP

        March 17 - The Madonna of Ireland (1697) - Saint Patrick (+ 464)

        The Madonna’s Tears of Blood

        Ireland and Hungary! Two martyr countries which, through the centuries, suffered for their faith and fought for their independence. In spite of many persecutions, the Hungarians and the Irishmen have kept an unfailing love for the Mother of God.

        Ireland has not been disappointed by the trust it has put in Our Lady. The case is the same for Hungary which, during the hardships that it crossed has kept faith in the hope of better days. Mary has sympathy for her children’s sufferings.

        The following account is proof of their faith:

        In the cathedral of Gyor, the Christian people venerate an Irish Madonna. This painting representing a Nativity scene with the Madonna and Child was brought to Hungary in 1650, by an Irish bishop who had succeeded in escaping from Cromwell’s persecution.

        On March 17, 1697, at the 6 o’clock a.m. mass, on Saint Patrick’s feast day, (Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland), at a time when religious persecution had come to a head in Ireland, the Madonna cried tears of blood for three hours. The signed attestations of the eyewitnesses of this miracle are still kept in Gyor, in particular those of the burgomaster, the military commander, the governor, Calvinist and Lutheran ministers, as well as the city’s rabbi.

        Since then, the devotion to the Irish Madonna has continued in Hungary and large crowds come to venerate the image hung above the high altar of the cathedral, especially on Saint Patrick’s Day and Ascension Day.

        Printed in the French Journal La Croix (The Cross Newspaper of April 6, 1954)