Daily Bible Readings

  • DGO
    Message 1 of 1203 , Feb 28, 2006
      DAILY GOSPEL
      «Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.» John 6,68

      Wednesday, 01 March 2006

      Today the Church celebrates : St David

      Saint Maxim of Turin : Forty days that lead us to baptism into the death and resurrection of Christ

      Book of Joel 2,12-18.

      Yet even now, says the LORD, return to me with your whole heart, with fasting, and weeping, and mourning;Rend your hearts, not your garments, and return to the LORD, your God. For gracious and merciful is he, slow to anger, rich in kindness, and relenting in punishment.Perhaps he will again relent and leave behind him a blessing, Offerings and libations for the LORD, your God.Blow the trumpet in Zion! proclaim a fast, call an assembly;Gather the people, notify the congregation; Assemble the elders, gather the children and the infants at the breast; Let the bridegroom quit his room, and the bride her chamber.Between the porch and the altar let the priests, the ministers of the LORD, weep, And say, "Spare, O LORD, your people, and make not your heritage a reproach, with the nations ruling over them! Why should they say among the peoples, 'Where is their God?'"Then the LORD was stirred to concern for his land and took pity on his people.

      Psalms 51,3-4.5-6.12-14.17.

      Have mercy on me, God, in your goodness; in your abundant compassion blot out my offense.
      Wash away all my guilt; from my sin cleanse me.
      For I know my offense; my sin is always before me.
      Against you alone have I sinned; I have done such evil in your sight That you are just in your sentence, blameless when you condemn.
      A clean heart create for me, God; renew in me a steadfast spirit.
      Do not drive me from your presence, nor take from me your holy spirit.
      Restore my joy in your salvation; sustain in me a willing spirit.
      Lord, open my lips; my mouth will proclaim your praise.

      Second Letter to the Corinthians 5,20-21.6,1-2.

      So we are ambassadors for Christ, as if God were appealing through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.For our sake he made him to be sin who did not know sin, so that we might become the righteousness of God in him.Working together, then, we appeal to you not to receive the grace of God in vain.For he says: "In an acceptable time I heard you, and on the day of salvation I helped you." Behold, now is a very acceptable time; behold, now is the day of salvation.

      Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 6,1-6.16-18.

      (But) take care not to perform righteous deeds in order that people may see them; otherwise, you will have no recompense from your heavenly Father.When you give alms, do not blow a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets to win the praise of others. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward.But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right is doing,so that your almsgiving may be secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you.When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, who love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on street corners so that others may see them. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward.But when you pray, go to your inner room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you.When you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites. They neglect their appearance, so that they may appear to others to be fasting. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward.But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face,so that you may not appear to be fasting, except to your Father who is hidden. And your Father who sees what is hidden will repay you.

      Copyright © Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, USCCB

      Commentary of the day :

      Saint Maxim of Turin (? – around 420), Bishop
      Sermon 28

      Forty days that lead us to baptism into the death and resurrection of Christ

      “In a time of favor I answer you, on the day of salvation I help you.” (Isa 49:8) After quoting this, the apostle Paul continues with the words: “Now is the acceptable time! Now is the day of salvation!” (2 Cor 6:2). I in turn call upon you to witness that now the days of redemption have come, now has come in a sense the moment of spiritual healing. We can take care of all of the stains from our vices, all the wounds from our sins, if we pray constantly to the doctor of our souls, if …we do not neglect any of his prescriptions…

      The doctor is our Lord Jesus who said: “It is I who bring forth both death and life.” (Deut 32:39). The Lord first brings forth death, and then he gives back life. Through baptism, he destroys in us adulteries, homicides, murders and theft; then he brings us back to life as new persons in eternal immortality. We die to our sins, of course through baptism, we return to life in the Spirit of life… Let us surrender to our doctor with patience in order to regain health. Everything that he will have detected in us that is unworthy, soiled through sin, eaten by ulcers, he will trim, he will cut it, he will take it away, so that, once all the wounds inflicted by the demon have been eliminated, only what belongs to God will remain.

      This is his first prescription: to consecrate forty days to fasting, to prayer, to vigils. Fasting heals flabbiness, prayer nourishes the reverent soul, vigils reject the devil’s traps. After this period of time given to all these observances, the soul that is purified and exhausted from so many practices, comes to baptism. It regains strength by plunging into the waters of the Spirit: everything that had been burnt in the flames of illness is born again in the dew of heaven’s grace… By means of a new birth, we are born again changed.

      Manage your subscription directly clicking HERE

      -------------------------------------

      Information : The DGO is sent every day to more than 155.000 subscribers !
      Do you want to help us maintain this free service? Daily Gospel is free of charge, it is not free of cost. Make a tax-deductible donation online at www.dailygospel.org or directly at "The Daily Gospel", 6375 New Hope Road, New Hope, KY 40052. USA. Thank you and God bless you.

      -------------------------------------

    • DGO
      Message 1203 of 1203 , Mar 22, 2007

        DAILY GOSPEL

        «Lord,to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.» John 6,68

        Thursday, 22 March 2007

        Thursday of the Fourth week of Lent

        Today the Church celebrates : St Nicholas Owen,  St Lea

        See commentarie below or click here
        Saint Aphrahate :"Ifyou had believed Moses, you would have believed me"

        Book of Exodus32,7-14.

        With that, the LORD said to Moses, "Go down at once to your people, whomyou brought out of the land of Egypt, for they have become depraved.They have soon turned aside from the way I pointed out to them, making forthemselves a molten calf and worshiping it, sacrificing to it and crying out,'This is your God, O Israel, who brought you out of the land of Egypt!'I see how stiff-necked this people is," continued the LORD to Moses."Let me alone, then, that my wrath may blaze up against them to consumethem. Then I will make of you a great nation."But Moses implored the LORD, his God, saying, "Why, O LORD, should yourwrath blaze up against your own people, whom you brought out of the land ofEgypt with such great power and with so strong a hand?Why should the Egyptians say, 'With evil intent he brought them out, that hemight kill them in the mountains and exterminate them from the face of theearth'? Let your blazing wrath die down; relent in punishing your people.Remember your servants Abraham, Isaac and Israel, and how you swore to themby your own self, saying, 'I will make your descendants as numerous as thestars in the sky; and all this land that I promised, I will give yourdescendants as their perpetual heritage.'"So the LORD relented in the punishment he had threatened to inflict on hispeople.

        Psalms 106(105),19-20.21-22.23.

        At Horeb they fashioned a calf, worshiped a metal statue.
        They exchanged their glorious God for the image of a grass-eating bull.
        They forgot the God who saved them, who did great deeds in Egypt,
        Amazing deeds in the land of Ham, fearsome deeds at the Red Sea.
        He would have decreed their destruction, had not Moses, the chosen leader,Withstood him in the breach to turn back his destroying anger.

        Holy Gospel ofJesus Christ according to Saint John 5,31-47.

        If I testify on my own behalf, my testimony cannot be verified.But there is another who testifies on my behalf, and I know that thetestimony he gives on my behalf is true.You sent emissaries to John, and he testified to the truth.I do not accept testimony from a human being, but I say this so that you maybe saved.He was a burning and shining lamp, and for a while you were content torejoice in his light.But I have testimony greater than John's. The works that the Father gave meto accomplish, these works that I perform testify on my behalf that theFather has sent me.Moreover, the Father who sent me has testified on my behalf. But you havenever heard his voice nor seen his form,and you do not have his word remaining in you, because you do not believe inthe one whom he has sent.You search the scriptures, because you think you have eternal life throughthem; even they testify on my behalf.But you do not want to come to me to have life.I do not accept human praise;moreover, I know that you do not have the love of God in you.I came in the name of my Father, but you do not accept me; yet if anothercomes in his own name, you will accept him.How can you believe, when you accept praise from one another and do not seekthe praise that comes from the only God?Do not think that I will accuse you before the Father: the one who willaccuse you is Moses, in whom you have placed your hope.For if you had believed Moses, you would have believed me, because he wroteabout me.But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe my words?"

        Copyright © Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, USCCB

        Commentary of the day :

        Saint Aphrahate (?-around 345), Monk and Bishop in Nineveh, near Mosul inpresent-day Iraq
        Demonstrations, n°21

        "If you had believed Moses, you would have believedme"

              Moses was persecuted, as Jesus waspersecuted. When Moses was born, they concealed him so that he might not beslain by his persecutors. When Jesus was born they carried him off in flightinto Egypt so that Herod, his persecutor, might not slay him. In the dayswhen Moses was born, children used to be drowned in the river; and at thebirth of Jesus the children of Bethlehem and in the area were slain. To MosesGod said: "Those who were seeking your life are dead " (Ex 4:19), and toJoseph the angel said in Egypt: "Arise, take up the child, and go into theland of Israel, for those who were seeking the life of the child are dead"(Mt 2:20). Moses brought out his people from slavery to Pharaoh; and Jesusdelivered all nations from slavery to Satan… When Moses sacrificed the lamb,the firstborn of Egypt were slain; and when they crucified him, Jesus becamethe true lamb… Moses brought down manna for his people; and Jesus gave hisbody to the nations. Moses sweetened the bitter waters by wood; and Jesussweetened our bitterness by his cross, by the wood of the tree of hiscrucifixion. Moses brought the Law down to his people; and Jesus gave hiscovenants to the nations. Moses conquered Amalek by the spreading out of hishands; and Jesus conquered Satan by the sign of his cross.

              Moses brought out water from the rock forhis people; and Jesus sent Simon Peter (the rock) to carry his doctrine amongthe nations. Moses lifted up the veil from his face and spoke with God; andJesus lifted up the veil from the face of the nations, that they might hearand receive his doctrine (2 Co 3:16). Moses laid his hand upon his messengersand they received priesthood; and Jesus laid his hands upon his apostles, andthey received the Holy Spirit. Moses ascended the mountain and died there;and Jesus ascended into heaven and took his seat at the right hand of hisFather.

        Manage your subscription directly clicking HERE

        The DGO team needs HELP for the TRANSLATION from French to English ofthe daily commentaries.
        If you are willing to help, please contact the DGO team at:contact-am@...
        Information :
        * The DGO is sent every day to more than 240.000 subscribers !
        As you know, the "DAILY GOSPEL" asks neither a subscription fee, nor tobe devalued by publicity. Its financing is assured exclusively thanks to yourspontaneous generosity and with the help of its voluntary team. We want tocontinue our service to you and to allow the greatest number to profit fromit. Do you want to help us maintain this free service? Daily Gospel is freeof charge, it is not free of cost. Make a tax-deductible donation online atwww.dailygospel.org or directly at "The Daily Gospel", 6375 New Hope Road,New Hope, KY 40052. USA. Thank you and God bless you.