Daily Bible Readings

  • DGO
    Message 1 of 1203 , Mar 31, 2005
      DAILY GOSPEL
      «Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.» John 6,68

      Friday, 01 April 2005

      Friday of Easter Week

      Today the Church celebrates : St. Hugh

      Latin Liturgy: “When it was already dawn, Jesus was standing on the shore”

      Acts of the Apostles 4,1-12.

      While they were still speaking to the people, the priests, the captain of the temple guard, and the Sadducees confronted them, disturbed that they were teaching the people and proclaiming in Jesus the resurrection of the dead. They laid hands on them and put them in custody until the next day, since it was already evening. But many of those who heard the word came to believe and (the) number of men grew to (about) five thousand. On the next day, their leaders, elders, and scribes were assembled in Jerusalem, with Annas the high priest, Caiaphas, John, Alexander, and all who were of the high-priestly class. They brought them into their presence and questioned them, "By what power or by what name have you done this?" Then Peter, filled with the holy Spirit, answered them, "Leaders of the people and elders: If we are being examined today about a good deed done to a cripple, namely, by what means he was saved, then all of you and all the people of Israel should know that it was in the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarean whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead; in his name this man stands before you healed. He is 'the stone rejected by you, the builders, which has become the cornerstone.' There is no salvation through anyone else, nor is there any other name under heaven given to the human race by which we are to be saved."

      Psalms 118,1-2.4.22-27.

      Give thanks to the LORD, who is good, whose love endures forever.
      Let the house of Israel say: God's love endures forever.
      Let those who fear the LORD say, God's love endures forever.
      The stone the builders rejected has become the cornerstone.
      By the LORD has this been done; it is wonderful in our eyes.
      This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice in it and be glad.
      LORD, grant salvation! LORD, grant good fortune!
      Blessed is he who comes in the name of the LORD. We bless you from the LORD'S house.
      The LORD is God and has given us light. Join in procession with leafy branches up to the horns of the altar.

      Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint John 21,1-14.

      After this, Jesus revealed himself again to his disciples at the Sea of Tiberias. He revealed himself in this way. Together were Simon Peter, Thomas called Didymus, Nathanael from Cana in Galilee, Zebedee's sons, and two others of his disciples. Simon Peter said to them, "I am going fishing." They said to him, "We also will come with you." So they went out and got into the boat, but that night they caught nothing. When it was already dawn, Jesus was standing on the shore; but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus. Jesus said to them, "Children, have you caught anything to eat?" They answered him, "No." So he said to them, "Cast the net over the right side of the boat and you will find something." So they cast it, and were not able to pull it in because of the number of fish. So the disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, "It is the Lord." When Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he tucked in his garment, for he was lightly clad, and jumped into the sea. The other disciples came in the boat, for they were not far from shore, only about a hundred yards, dragging the net with the fish. When they climbed out on shore, they saw a charcoal fire with fish on it and bread. Jesus said to them, "Bring some of the fish you just caught." So Simon Peter went over and dragged the net ashore full of one hundred fifty-three large fish. Even though there were so many, the net was not torn. Jesus said to them, "Come, have breakfast." And none of the disciples dared to ask him, "Who are you?" because they realized it was the Lord. Jesus came over and took the bread and gave it to them, and in like manner the fish. This was now the third time Jesus was revealed to his disciples after being raised from the dead.

      Copyright © Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, USCCB

      Commentary of the day :

      Latin Liturgy
      Hymn for the Evening Prayer of the Octave of Easter (Ad coenam agni providi)

      “When it was already dawn, Jesus was standing on the shore”

      Called to the wedding feast of the Lamb (Rev 19,9)
      And clothed with a gown of light,
      We have just crossed the water of the Red Sea (Ex 14)
      Let us sing to Christ, who opens the way for us.

      He, whose body is covered with glory,
      He sacrificed himself on the altar of the cross
      He shed his blood for the life of the world
      By drinking it, we live in his love.

      The night of the Passover, protected
      From the striking of the exterminating angel (Ex 12,13)
      He rescued all of us from servitude,
      The water was then divided under our feet.

      Today, our Passover is Christ himself (1 Cor 5,7)
      He is the paschal lamb sacrificed for our sins
      He gave us his flesh to eat,
      The very pure bread, the genuine unleavened bread.

      He is the only true worthy victim
      By whom Hell has been destroyed
      He frees the whole earth kept prisoner
      He gives it back the goods of life.

      Jesus Christ rises from the tomb
      He returns winner over Hell
      He puts in chains the tyrants and chases away darkness
      And opens for us the doors of heaven.

      Glory to you, o Christ our Savior,
      For today you triumph over the dead.
      Glory to the Father and to the Holy Spirit that enlightens us.
      You who reign forever and ever. Amen. Alleluia!

      Manage your subscription directly clicking HERE

      -------------------------------------

      Information : The DGO is sent every day to more than 115.000 subscribers !
      Do you want to help us maintain this free service? Daily Gospel is free of charge, it is not free of cost. Make a tax-deductible donation online at www.dailygospel.org or directly at "The Daily Gospel", 6375 New Hope Road, New Hope, KY 40052. USA. Thank you and God bless you.

      -------------------------------------

    • DGO
      Message 1203 of 1203 , Mar 22, 2007

        DAILY GOSPEL

        «Lord,to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.» John 6,68

        Thursday, 22 March 2007

        Thursday of the Fourth week of Lent

        Today the Church celebrates : St Nicholas Owen,  St Lea

        See commentarie below or click here
        Saint Aphrahate :"Ifyou had believed Moses, you would have believed me"

        Book of Exodus32,7-14.

        With that, the LORD said to Moses, "Go down at once to your people, whomyou brought out of the land of Egypt, for they have become depraved.They have soon turned aside from the way I pointed out to them, making forthemselves a molten calf and worshiping it, sacrificing to it and crying out,'This is your God, O Israel, who brought you out of the land of Egypt!'I see how stiff-necked this people is," continued the LORD to Moses."Let me alone, then, that my wrath may blaze up against them to consumethem. Then I will make of you a great nation."But Moses implored the LORD, his God, saying, "Why, O LORD, should yourwrath blaze up against your own people, whom you brought out of the land ofEgypt with such great power and with so strong a hand?Why should the Egyptians say, 'With evil intent he brought them out, that hemight kill them in the mountains and exterminate them from the face of theearth'? Let your blazing wrath die down; relent in punishing your people.Remember your servants Abraham, Isaac and Israel, and how you swore to themby your own self, saying, 'I will make your descendants as numerous as thestars in the sky; and all this land that I promised, I will give yourdescendants as their perpetual heritage.'"So the LORD relented in the punishment he had threatened to inflict on hispeople.

        Psalms 106(105),19-20.21-22.23.

        At Horeb they fashioned a calf, worshiped a metal statue.
        They exchanged their glorious God for the image of a grass-eating bull.
        They forgot the God who saved them, who did great deeds in Egypt,
        Amazing deeds in the land of Ham, fearsome deeds at the Red Sea.
        He would have decreed their destruction, had not Moses, the chosen leader,Withstood him in the breach to turn back his destroying anger.

        Holy Gospel ofJesus Christ according to Saint John 5,31-47.

        If I testify on my own behalf, my testimony cannot be verified.But there is another who testifies on my behalf, and I know that thetestimony he gives on my behalf is true.You sent emissaries to John, and he testified to the truth.I do not accept testimony from a human being, but I say this so that you maybe saved.He was a burning and shining lamp, and for a while you were content torejoice in his light.But I have testimony greater than John's. The works that the Father gave meto accomplish, these works that I perform testify on my behalf that theFather has sent me.Moreover, the Father who sent me has testified on my behalf. But you havenever heard his voice nor seen his form,and you do not have his word remaining in you, because you do not believe inthe one whom he has sent.You search the scriptures, because you think you have eternal life throughthem; even they testify on my behalf.But you do not want to come to me to have life.I do not accept human praise;moreover, I know that you do not have the love of God in you.I came in the name of my Father, but you do not accept me; yet if anothercomes in his own name, you will accept him.How can you believe, when you accept praise from one another and do not seekthe praise that comes from the only God?Do not think that I will accuse you before the Father: the one who willaccuse you is Moses, in whom you have placed your hope.For if you had believed Moses, you would have believed me, because he wroteabout me.But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe my words?"

        Copyright © Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, USCCB

        Commentary of the day :

        Saint Aphrahate (?-around 345), Monk and Bishop in Nineveh, near Mosul inpresent-day Iraq
        Demonstrations, n°21

        "If you had believed Moses, you would have believedme"

              Moses was persecuted, as Jesus waspersecuted. When Moses was born, they concealed him so that he might not beslain by his persecutors. When Jesus was born they carried him off in flightinto Egypt so that Herod, his persecutor, might not slay him. In the dayswhen Moses was born, children used to be drowned in the river; and at thebirth of Jesus the children of Bethlehem and in the area were slain. To MosesGod said: "Those who were seeking your life are dead " (Ex 4:19), and toJoseph the angel said in Egypt: "Arise, take up the child, and go into theland of Israel, for those who were seeking the life of the child are dead"(Mt 2:20). Moses brought out his people from slavery to Pharaoh; and Jesusdelivered all nations from slavery to Satan… When Moses sacrificed the lamb,the firstborn of Egypt were slain; and when they crucified him, Jesus becamethe true lamb… Moses brought down manna for his people; and Jesus gave hisbody to the nations. Moses sweetened the bitter waters by wood; and Jesussweetened our bitterness by his cross, by the wood of the tree of hiscrucifixion. Moses brought the Law down to his people; and Jesus gave hiscovenants to the nations. Moses conquered Amalek by the spreading out of hishands; and Jesus conquered Satan by the sign of his cross.

              Moses brought out water from the rock forhis people; and Jesus sent Simon Peter (the rock) to carry his doctrine amongthe nations. Moses lifted up the veil from his face and spoke with God; andJesus lifted up the veil from the face of the nations, that they might hearand receive his doctrine (2 Co 3:16). Moses laid his hand upon his messengersand they received priesthood; and Jesus laid his hands upon his apostles, andthey received the Holy Spirit. Moses ascended the mountain and died there;and Jesus ascended into heaven and took his seat at the right hand of hisFather.

        Manage your subscription directly clicking HERE

        The DGO team needs HELP for the TRANSLATION from French to English ofthe daily commentaries.
        If you are willing to help, please contact the DGO team at:contact-am@...
        Information :
        * The DGO is sent every day to more than 240.000 subscribers !
        As you know, the "DAILY GOSPEL" asks neither a subscription fee, nor tobe devalued by publicity. Its financing is assured exclusively thanks to yourspontaneous generosity and with the help of its voluntary team. We want tocontinue our service to you and to allow the greatest number to profit fromit. Do you want to help us maintain this free service? Daily Gospel is freeof charge, it is not free of cost. Make a tax-deductible donation online atwww.dailygospel.org or directly at "The Daily Gospel", 6375 New Hope Road,New Hope, KY 40052. USA. Thank you and God bless you.