Daniel : with related attachment (Arabic)

  • Sunday School
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2002

      The ministry of Sunday School

      of

       St. Mary and St. Antonious Coptic Orthodox Church

       Queens, New York

      Daniel

      Most of us are Coptic youth in the land of immigration, but all of us have to know and to figure out the identity of our origin. All of us have to behave in the way our fathers draw for us. That way is struggling for the truth, righteousness and to be strong in our faith.

      And the best model that reflects our status as strangers in the land of immigration is Daniel the prophet who was deported to Babylon at the age of sixteen and handpicked for government service. He was given three years of training in the best of Babylon's school (605BC). His wisdom and divinely given interpretive abilities brought him into a position of prominence especially in the court of Nebuchadnezzar. Once king Nebuchadnezzar had a dream he could not understand; neither could his counselors and wise men reveal nor interpret the dream. In anger, the king commanded the execution of all the wise men of the land, including Daniel and his friends. In the providence of God, Daniel learned of the king’s dilemma and was able to reveal to the king his dream and its meaning, sparing his own life and the lives of the other Babylonian wise men.

      The Scripture says that "Daniel purposed in his heart that he wouldn't defile himself with the portion of the king's delicacies, nor the wine which he drank ;(Da 1:8)

      Nebuchadnezzar created a great golden image, before which the people of all nations were to bow in worship. Daniel’s three friends refused to bow down. Again in anger, Nebuchadnezzar threatened them with death if they did not obey his decree. Refusing to obey, they were thrown into a fiery furnace. God was present with them there and preserved them from death, injury, and even the smell of fire.

      What we have to learn is to live in faithfulness to the Lord. Like Daniel, in the mildest of temptation, conspiracies and evil world, we have to be strong. We are reminded that God is able to deliver His people, even in a distant land.

      Prayer

      O Master Lord, give me this steadfastness in You and teach me how to be like Daniel, who stands against the wiles of the devil, against principalities against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness .O Lord, the stream of the world is so powerful and mighty. I have lost your peace, so renew in me that living Spirit, the comforter to console and to heal the sickness of my soul. Give me power to be as a man of faith and a child of simplicity! Heal me by your tender mercies for I'm your son, O Lord.

      Amen

      Pray for us,
      Servants of St.Mary and St.Antonious Church,Queens NY