18 Nov 01 Update: 70 x 7 (The Parable of the Unforgiving Servant)

  • Zeitun-eg.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14, 2001
      Psalm 73:25 Whom have I in heaven but You? And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.

      Luke 6:41 And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not perceive the plank in your own eye? From the Desert Fathers: A brother asked an old man at Kellia, "Why am I always sitting in judgment on my brothers?" The old man replied, "Because you do not yet know yourself. Someone who really knows himself does not see the shortcomings of his brothers."

      Answered prayers: Christian workers held by Taliban freed. Thanks be to God, Who always looks after us.

      Contents at a Glance   >>>>>

      + 70 x 7 (The Parable of the Unforgiving Servant)
      + The Spiritual Family "The Work"
      + Muslim Sheikh Turns to Christ and is Healed from AIDS
      + From the Writings of Pope St. Kyrillos VI
      : On Humility
      +
      The Popes' Wednesday's Audiences (14 Nov 01)

      70 x 7 (The Parable of the Unforgiving Servant)    >>>>>

      Homily on the Parable of the Unforgiving Servant by St. John Chrysostom (c.346-407), Patriarch of Constantinople

      Matthew 18:21-35 Then Peter came to Him and said, "Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?" Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven. Therefore the kingdom of heaven is like a certain king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants. And when he had begun to settle accounts, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents. But as he was not able to pay, his master commanded that he be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and that payment be made. The servant therefore fell down before him, saying, "Master, have patience with me, and I will pay you all.' Then the master of that servant was moved with compassion, released him, and forgave him the debt. "But that servant went out and found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii; and he laid hands on him and took him by the throat, saying, "Pay me what you owe!' So his fellow servant fell down at his feet and begged him, saying, "Have patience with me, and I will pay you all.' And he would not, but went and threw him into prison till he should pay the debt. So when his fellow servants saw what had been done, they were very grieved, and came and told their master all that had been done. Then his master, after he had called him, said to him, "You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you begged me. Should you not also have had compassion on your fellow servant, just as I had pity on you?' And his master was angry, and delivered him to the torturers until he should pay all that was due to him. "So My heavenly Father also will do to you if each of you, from his heart, does not forgive his brother his trespasses."

      Luke 11:4 And forgive us our sins, for we also forgive everyone who is indebted to us.

      Matthew 5:38-42 "You have heard that it was said, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also. And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away.

      Related Link:
      Download the Complete Early Church Fathers Collection for Windows
      http://www.zeitun-eg.org/ecfidx.htm

      The Spiritual Family "The Work"    >>>>>

      "Our life should be a living Gospel." --Mother Julia

      The Spiritual Family was founded in Belgium in 1938 by Mother Julia Verhaeghe. It comprises a community of consecrated women, and a priestly community, to which priests, deacons, and lay brothers belong. The spirituality of The Work is characterised by a strong biblical, sacramental and ecclesial sense. It works in parishes, and in medical, social and educational centres. The Work has been also committed to the development of the person and the thought of Cardinal John Henry Newman, the 19th-century English convert.

      John 6:29 "This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent."

      Related Links:
      The Spiritual Family "The Work" Web Site: Please take your time to browse around this site and reflect upon its rich spiritual content, especially the quotations by Mother Julia
      http://www.daswerk-fso.org/English/indexen.html

      John Henry Cardinal Newman
      http://ic.net/~erasmus/RAZ22.HTM

      Spiritual Family "The Work" Gets Pontifical Recognition
      http://www.zenit.org/english/visualizza.phtml?sid=12344

      Muslim Sheikh Turns to Christ and is Healed from AIDS

      color=#cb2166>>

      Sheikh Mohamed Amin no more believes Jesus is just a prophet; he now believes Jesus is also the Son of God. "If Jesus had not come to my bed in that hospital and touched my body and my soul... First I would have lost everlasting life; secondly, I would have suffered for eternity. But he gave me physical healing, everlasting life and peace that passes all understanding," says Mohamed.

      Matthew 16:16, 17 Simon Peter answered and said, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." Jesus answered and said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.

      Related Link:
      Sheikh Mohamed Amin, formerly a Muslim Imam, turns to Christ after miraculous healing from AIDS (with RealVideo)
      http://www.cbnworld.com/true/sheik.asp

      Writings of Pope St. Kyrillos V
      I: On Humility    >>>>>

      Pope St. Kyrillos VI (Kyrollos or Cyril the Sixth) is the 116th Pope of Alexandria and See of St. Mark (Coptic Orthodox Patriarch), whose papacy has been marked by the unprecedented Apparitions of the Blessed Holy Virgin Mary in Zeitun, Egypt.

      Humility
      To demonstrate pope Kyrollos' thoughts and advice regarding modesty, we refer to a letter he sent to one of his beloved pupils, Father Macari, the Samueli (the late Bishop Samuel, Bishop of General Services), in which he wrote, "My son, whom I really love, thank God constantly, commit your way unto the Lord, and He will guide all your affairs. Always hold fast to modesty, ask the Giver of graces to complete your modesty for you, and if you really have modesty, then you will have everything."

      Jesus Christ said, "Know me, for I am meek and humble of heart and you shall find rest in your souls." David, the prophet, said, "I was humble so He saved me... Look at my meekness and save me... God teaches the humble his way." And the apostle said "God gives grace to the humble"." So, be very careful, and do your best to ask God to give you this blessing, the blessing of humility .Our great teacher, St. Isaac, wrote a chapter on humility. Anyone who reads it will instantly know that humility is a great virtue. He said, " Anyone who claims to be modest is not really so. The quiet are not modest, nor those who think lightly of their sins. One should not consider himself a modest man because he shed some tears. Real modesty is a gift that God gives to those who ask it with great perseverance. If anyone really had it, he would have all good things. A modest man's appearance is fearful to the devil. The man who receives this blessing has not made for himself any reputation but took upon himself the role of a servant. The philosophers and the wise speak a lot, and rarely does anyone heed their words. However, when a modest person speaks, all pay attention to his simple words. Even the wild beasts become quiet when approaching him, because they smell in him that aroma that was particular to Adam when he was in the Garden of Eden and named them. When the modest person comes near poisonous creatures, they do not hurt him. I write with great pleasure about this and I constantly ask my Lord and Saviour to give this great blessing to us."

      Pope Kyrollos also wrote to his spiritual sons, the monks, at the Monastery of St. Samuel, the Confessor, "Humble yourselves in dealing with one another for God exalts those who keep themselves lowly. We win everything with modesty and affliction. Strive as much as you can for the salvation of your souls; we should not let the days pass while we idly stand by."

      In a letter about humility His Holiness wrote, "From the Book of Wisdom (11:1-31), 'The poor man's wisdom lifts his head high and sets him among princes. God often exalts the lowly, and humbles the great. Praise not a man for his looks; despise not a man for his appearance. Least is the bee among winged creatures, but she reaps the choicest of all harvests. Strange are the works of the Lord, for hidden from men are His deeds. The oppressed often rise to a throne, and some that none would consider, wear a crown. The exalted often fall into utter disgrace; the honoured are given into every hand. Before investigating, find no fault. Examine first, then criticize. Do not interrupt anyone in the middle of the speech before hearing the answer. Dispute not about what is not your concern. In the strife of the arrogant, take no part. The Lord's gift remains with the just, His favour brings continued success. Bring not every man into your house, for many are the snares of the crafty one'."

      Citing the sayings of the saints, Pope Kyrollos VI wrote, "An elder said, 'Whomsoever has humility can subdue the devils, and whomsoever lacks humility, the devils will subdue him'. A brother said to the elder, 'My thoughts are always high up with God'. He replied, It is better to see yourself the most lowly in all of creation. No one will fall if they remain modest'."

      An elder said, "As a dead man never talks, so too should the modest. Never despise anyone even if he is seen worshipping idols. He that is void of wisdom despises his neighbour, but a man of understanding holds his peace."

      An elder said, "Humility has saved many without labour, like the tax collector and the prodigal son who were saved with words. Labour, without modesty, goes with the wind just like what happened with the Pharisee."

      In the Pope's letters to his pupils, the monks, he wrote about the modesty of Our Lord and Saviour, who said, "Learn from Me, for I am meek and lowly in heart, and you shall find peace enter into your souls."

      The book, The Paradise of the Monks, also gives examples of humility .One day Abba Bachoum went to work with his brethren. It was necessary that everyone should take some bread to eat on working days. One of the monks said to him, "Do not burden yourself, Father, I will carry enough for both of us." He replied, "This should not be so, for it is written about our Lord Jesus Christ, 'In all things He made Himself like His brethren'. How can I, the lowly be better than my brethren, and not carry my load like they do." It is noteworthy to mention that he was then the father of all the monks, that meant, he founded the social way of living. His actions show true humility that he learned from his master, Jesus.

      Father Isidorous said, "The honour of modesty is great, and the fall of the proud is very horrible. I advise you to be modest, so you will never fall."

      St. Anthony said, "Do not imagine that you are wise and knowledgeable, lest your labour be in vain, and your ship passes empty .In everything, and always, to every brother, and to God, have your tongue accustomed to saying, 'Forgive me'. Thus, you will gain humility ."

      Abba Macari was asked, "Which is the greatest virtue?" He replied, "If pride was so great an evil that it cast an army of angels out of heaven, no doubt humility should be the greatest of all virtues. It can raise the humble from the bottom even if he were a sinner. "

      St. Bachoum said, "One of the brethren asked me to tell him about the holiest sight I saw so he could benefit from it, as well. I replied, , If you wish to see the most beautiful sight that will really give you benefit, I shall guide you to it. If you see a humble and pure hearted man, then you have seen the greatest of all sights, for through him you shall see the invisible God. There is not a better sight than this'."

      The devil appeared once in front of St. Macari, and said, "Woe unto you Macari. Everything you do, I can do and more. You fast; I do not eat. You stay up late, and I do not sleep. However, you win with only one thing." The elder asked him, "What is that thing?" He replied, "With your humility alone, you beat me."

      St. Bachoum said, "Walk in the path of humility, for God will not shame the humble; but the proud will fall, and their fall will be terrible."

      St. Anthony said, "I saw the snares of the devils stretched on the ground, I sighed and said, 'O God, who can escape all these'. A voice came from heaven, saying, 'The modest can'. Modesty is the most beautiful, the sweetest, and the most superior of all virtues. Pride is the cause of sin; the reason for the original fall and evil. Modesty was the medicine by which we were cured. Do you wish to know modesty? Then you have to know who you are. Consider yourself. You will find that you are nothing, you have nothing to be proud of, for all you have is from God. Do not defraud God's right by your vanity, for all you have is from the Giver of all gifts. The light of the moon is not of itself, but derived from the sun, therefore, it has nothing to glorify itself. The same thing applies to you, if you have any light, it is not your own, but from the Father of Lights and the Giver of all Blessings."

      Micah 6:8 "He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?"

      Matthew 11:29 "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."

      Related Links:
      Pope St. Kyrillos VI Web Gallery

      The Popes' Wednesday's Audiences    >>>>>

      H.H. Pope John Paul II Wednesday's Audience (14 Nov 2001)
      Holy Father Proposes Prayer to Begin Day Without Fear
      Meditation on Psalm 118 (119), "which praises Almighty God for the gift of the Law, celebrated by the Psalmist as a shining lamp on the often dark path of life." (Psalm 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.) "The Psalmist expresses the sure hope that God will hear his prayer after the night he has spent meditating upon GodÂ’s word. His persecutors seek to betray him, but now all fear vanishes, for he knows that God will listen and act on his behalf. The entire Psalm is an exaltation of that wonderful and consoling truth: 'You, O Lord, are close'," says John Paul II.
      http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/audiences/2001/index.htm (Abstract in 6 languages)
      http://www.ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/resolve.asp?rafile=pope.ra (RealAudio - English)

      H.H. Coptic Orthodox Pope Shenouda III Wednesday's Audience (14 Nov 2001)
      On Responsibility
      Luke 16:2 Give an account of your stewardship
      14 Nov 2001: The 30th Anniversary of the Enthronement of H.H. Pope Shenouda III (117th Coptic Orthodox Pope of Alexandria)

      Jeremiah 11:18-20 Now the LORD gave me knowledge of it, and I know it; for You showed me their doings. But I was like a docile lamb brought to the slaughter; and I did not know that they had devised schemes against me, saying, "Let us destroy the tree with its fruit, and let us cut him off from the land of the living, that his name may be remembered no more." But, O LORD of hosts, You who judge righteously, testing the mind and the heart, let me see Your vengeance on them, for to You I have revealed my cause.

      1 Kings 21:14 Then they sent to Jezebel, saying, "Naboth has been stoned and is dead." Jeremiah 12:1 Righteous are You, O LORD, when I plead with You; yet let me talk with You about Your judgments. Why does the way of the wicked prosper? (comment: apparently, for a while, but they do not really succeed at the end.) Why are those happy who deal so treacherously? Habakkuk 1:13 You are of purer eyes than to behold evil, and cannot look on wickedness. Why do You look on those who deal treacherously, and hold Your tongue when the wicked devours a person more righteous than he? (comment: God has the final word and this world is not the end. He will justify the righteous in His own ways and times, which are always the best, so why seek justification from the mouths of men and earthly judges. He also says "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay."Habakkuk 2:4 "Behold the proud, his soul is not upright in him; but the just shall live by his faith." (comment: God's answer; see also Psalm 37.) Psalm 37:1 Do not fret because of evildoers, nor be envious of the workers of iniquity. For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb. Isaiah 41:12 You shall seek them and not find them--those who contended with you. Those who war against you shall be as nothing, as a nonexistent thing. Psalm 37:10, 13 For yet a little while and the wicked shall be no more; indeed, you will look carefully for his place, but it shall be no more. The Lord laughs at him, for He sees that his (the wicked's) day is coming. (comment: our times are very short (soon, a little while) compared to eternity, but our impatience can make them appear long and slow; we have promises, so be patient, wait as God's superior plan unfolds, without complaining, and always give thanks to the Lord.) 1 Peter 4:15, 19 But let none of you suffer as a murderer, a thief, an evildoer, or as a busybody in other people's matters. Therefore let those who suffer according to the will of God commit their souls to Him in doing good, as to a faithful Creator. Ecclesiastes 7:8 The end of a thing is better than its beginning; the patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit.

      Bonus Links:
      The Holy Theotokos - Holy Virgin Mary Coptic Orthodox Church in Los Angeles: http://www.theotokos.org/
      Plugged In Harry Potter: http://www.family.org/pplace/pi/magic/
      Ecumenism a Priority (an "irreversible" Commitment) of My Pontificate, John Paul II Affirms: http://www.zenit.org/english/visualizza.phtml?sid=12524

      Glory be to Jesus Christ.

      In Christ's everlasting love, joy and peace (the fruits of the Holy Spirit),
      --Zeitun-eg.org (
      Our Lady of Zeitun Online/The Holy Bible Web Site - 1996-2001)
      Zeitun-eg.org is an interdenominational ministry.

      This message is permanently archived at:
      To subscribe, send e-mail to:
      arbible-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      To unsubscribe, send e-mail to: